Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: 32kbps public listening test - OPEN (Read 57023 times) previous topic - next topic

32kbps public listening test - OPEN

Reply #50
Well, which version of Java? Below 1.4.2 there will be problems,
as Java Sound still is in development.

It sais v1.4.2_03 - the same version I was running before.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=225352"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I updated to 1.4.2_05 (was using 1.3.X prior to this test...sounds would play but switching between sources would sometimes result in the application hanging) and experienced no probs.

Reply #51
I used 1.5.0 beta 2 and it seemed to work OK.  I've never seen anyone else mention they were using this version though - is it not considered safe to use?  Should I revert to 1.4.2-05?

Reply #52
I've upgraded to 1.4.2_05 and have the same problems, although I have managed to narrow it down somewhat.

If I open an existing session, everything breaks (no sound, trouble rendering the screen) - but if I start the test again, it appears to work normally.

Is there some reason for this, such as an existing session containing info about my sound & graphics drivers perhaps?  I've changed both the sound and gfx card in this computer, so if it was trying to draw and play things the same way it would run into difficulty.  This is just a stab in the dark though
< w o g o n e . c o m / l o l >

Reply #53
Wish me luck. It'll still take some time, but hopefully I'll get access to a laptop  and dial-up  later today at my aunt's home.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=225254"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Joy oh joy

My aunt's laptop (I'm using it now) belongs to her employer and she doesn't have an administrator account. Sure enough, it doesn't come with Java, and I can't install it without admin rights, so I can't decrypt results (not to talk about installing Python for results parsing) 

Please don't hate me, I will really find some way 

Her desktop, which comes with Win98 (no user rights issues) is on maintenance right now, but I suspect the technician is fooling her ("We need to reinstall the internet, lady", I swear that's what they told her), so she'll bring it back tomorrow and I'll try to fix it myself. I bet a format-reinstall will do it.

Best regards;

Roberto.

Reply #54
If I open an existing session, everything breaks (no sound, trouble rendering the screen) - but if I start the test again, it appears to work normally.[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=225691"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I get that same screen rendering error. Often participants send me saved sessions (*.abc) instead of results (*.erf) and I have to convert them manually. Not once the sliders get rendered properly.

And I always forget to report this to Schnofler :B

Reply #55
Are there more results as usual (according to a first impression)? More testers for a less difficult test, or not?

Reply #56
Joy oh joy

My aunt's laptop (I'm using it now) belongs to her employer and she doesn't have an administrator account. Sure enough, it doesn't come with Java, and I can't install it without admin rights, so I can't decrypt results (not to talk about installing Python for results parsing)  

Please don't hate me, I will really find some way  

Her desktop, which comes with Win98 (no user rights issues) is on maintenance right now, but I suspect the technician is fooling her ("We need to reinstall the internet, lady", I swear that's what they told her), so she'll bring it back tomorrow and I'll try to fix it myself. I bet a format-reinstall will do it.

Best regards;

Roberto.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I think you can set up Win98 to not ask for userids/passwords, if that is the issue.

[a href="http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=152104]http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=152104[/url]

When I used Win98, there was no problem installing programs as a idless/passwordless user.

ff123

d'oh:  I see now that you're talking about two different computers.  Never mind

Reply #57
Are there more results as usual (according to a first impression)? More testers for a less difficult test, or not?[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes. Shitloads of results. Last thursday I had about 40 results per sample, and countless more arrived this weekend.

(Also, a handful of ranked references, but... oh well )

I think you can set up Win98 to not ask for userids/passwords, if that is the issue.

[a href="http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=152104]http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=152104[/url]

When I used Win98, there was no problem installing programs as a idless/passwordless user.

ff123[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=225754"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The desktop, which is supposedly broken, is using Win98. The laptop I'm using right now is on Win2000. I could probably do some evil hacking to get admin access, but then my aunt could get problems if the technician at her work finds out.

Reply #58
40 results per sample, and countless more arrived this weekend.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=225757"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Good news!

Reply #59
The desktop, which is supposedly broken, is using Win98. The laptop I'm using right now is on Win2000. I could probably do some evil hacking to get admin access, but then my aunt could get problems if the technician at her work finds out.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=225757"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Maybe a LiveCD, e.g. Knoppix is an option?

Reply #60
Wow, this could turn out to be a really good test with that many results.  Sorry about the computer situation, though

Reply #61
(Also, a handful of ranked references, but... oh well biggrin.gif)

Please tell me I'm not one of them. My hearing condition is well and truly a lost cause if that is the case.

Reply #63
Are there more results as usual (according to a first impression)? More testers for a less difficult test, or not?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=225752"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I think so...as even myself has done the test (for one sample)...

Reply #64
Maybe you could ask Frank Klemm to use his PC 
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=225814"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I can come with my laptop if Roberto pay the travel to Brasil...

Reply #65
Maybe a LiveCD, e.g. Knoppix is an option?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=225762"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm on dial-up here. I would be back home before the live CD finished downloading.

Besides, no CD-RW drive here.

Please tell me I'm not one of them. My hearing condition is well and truly a lost cause if that is the case.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=225798"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I don't think so. I will probably remove the ranked references from the results I'll upload, to make sure mean people won't point at others and laugh

Now, I am finally using the Win98 PC. It´s a slightly crappy Pentium 700 with small screen, but will probably do. I'll download all stuff I need overnight (Java, Python, SFTP and SSH client...), and I plan to finish putting results together tomorrow. I hope my 9-year-old cousin won't force me to go to the movies with her to watch Disney's latest 

Talk to you soon.

Best regards;

Roberto.

Reply #66
I'm on dial-up here. I would be back home before the live CD finished downloading.

Besides, no CD-RW drive here.

You leave your home without a Knoppix CD in your bag?!? You're definitely not a nerd.

I don't think so. I will probably remove the ranked references from the results I'll upload, to make sure mean people won't point at others and laugh

Just throw them away? Aren't the ranked references somehow significant too? I wonder, if somebody ranked a reference doesn't that mean that for him that encoder performs very well? (Well, as long as he doesn't rank the reference to very low values...)

and I plan to finish putting results together tomorrow.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=226076"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Cool. Thanks a lot.

Reply #67

Heh.    But it would be interesting for the rank owner to know he has mistaken...
At least I'm interested to know it for my result set...

Reply #68
Roberto, you could also wait to be back to your home before processing the results.

You know, the earth will not stop its rotation if you only post results next week...

Reply #69
Roberto, you could also wait to be back to your home before processing the results.

You know, the earth will not stop its rotation if you only post results next week...
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=226129"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Can you prove that ?

Reply #70
At least the delay has provided me enough time to complete the test, and hopefully other people have been able to add their results to the list

I look forward to seeing the smallest confidence intervals the world has ever seen
< w o g o n e . c o m / l o l >

Reply #71

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=226129"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

As Gabriel says, take it easy and enjoy your family gettogether. 

You have nothing to excuse - on the contrary many people are thankful for the professional way you handle the listening tests. 

I'm impressed with your communication skills and the way you manage to obtain near consensus through fact based dialogue, regarding codecs, settings and samples for the listening tests. 

The world will be as happy a place to live in and I will still admire you the same, even if I don't get the results of the listening test until later. 

Enjoy your life... 

Reply #72
Full ack!

Reply #73
Just throw them away? Aren't the ranked references somehow significant too? I wonder, if somebody ranked a reference doesn't that mean that for him that encoder performs very well? (Well, as long as he doesn't rank the reference to very low values...)
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=226081"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

If somebody ranked the reference, it might also mean he randomly moved sliders up and down. :/

So, to be on the safe side, I discard all results with ranked references that haven't been ABXd to a confidence of 0.05 (chunky makes it very easy to discard such result files. I can't thank Phong enough for his creation).

Thank-you very much for the words of encouragement, guys.

Reply #74
According to the presentation page, only Vorbis got the special SSRC resampling. If so, was it checked and how and by who, that the other codecs using 32khz sampling didnt have resampling induced quality drop (like vanilla Vorbis) ?
Juha Laaksonheimo