Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Speex (Read 7577 times) previous topic - next topic

Speex

I'm going to use speex to compress sound that was record from a sound board. What container should I use so it will be able to play in some sound player available for windows, ogg or wave?

If I choose to use wav container I simple have to put the speex stream into the data chunk of the wave file?

And if I choose Ogg can you tell be where to find code that writes that format into a file?

Thanks in advance!

Speex

Reply #1
gday..

recently.. i was up for doing the same thing.

not for putting speex down.. but from what
i have experienced. go for HE - AAC.
it seems to have better quality/size.

Speex

Reply #2
But I'm recording speech is that adequate?
What about the container I should use if I choose speex?

Speex

Reply #3
gday...

yes. HE - AAC is in my mind
more than adequate.
works flawlessly here..
i don`t think there is any diff. byond that
speex prolly. is aimed at other usage.

i guess  ahead is using HE - AAC also for
IP telephony in the the "SIPS".. 

Speex

Reply #4
Yup...

yes. HE - AAC is in my mind

We can tell!

speex prolly. is aimed at other usage.

What, other than speech?

[span style='font-size:21pt;line-height:100%']ARGHRGHRGHAH[/span][span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%']RHGHGHGRAHA[/span]RGHRAGHAR[span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%']HGRHRGAAHG[/span]!

Speex

Reply #5
I'm going to use speex to compress sound that was record from a sound board. What container should I use so it will be able to play in some sound player available for windows, ogg or wave?

If I choose to use wav container I simple have to put the speex stream into the data chunk of the wave file?

And if I choose Ogg can you tell be where to find code that writes that format into a file?

Thanks in advance!

Speex is in an Ogg container by default. To encode Speex, you can download binaries (and use Speex Frontend if you don't want to use the command line).
"Facts do not cease to exist just because they are ignored."
—Aldous Huxley

Speex

Reply #6
Speex is in an Ogg container by default. To encode Speex, you can download binaries (and use Speex Frontend if you don't want to use the command line).

For what I know speex is a compression codec that can be used in an ogg container.
I need to compress the sound that I'm recording from the soundboard, not to compress a file so the binaries for encoding wav files are not usefull 

My questions are:

- For being able to play speex in windows what should I use as a container, ogg or wave?

- If ogg where can I find source code to write files in ogg format?

- If wave do I simply have to put speex content in the data chunk of the wave file? And to being able to play wav's with speex in windows what do I need?

Speex

Reply #7
[span style='font-size:21pt;line-height:100%']ARGHRGHRGHAH[/span][span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%']RHGHGHGRAHA[/span]RGHRAGHAR[span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%']HGRHRGAAHG[/span]!

gday..

@lev..
refering to your reaction..
i admit the sentence was badly put..

what i ment was that speex
(recall to have read that somewhere.)
was mainly developed towards a
communication codec..
(thus. my referal to sips.)

@bigjo.
ogg are not natively supported by WMP yet..
(if am right.) you will have to install a addon.
or simply use ex: mediaplayer classic or foobar

so if you wan`t it easy..(for web)
wav container it is..
but why not offer a ogg playback addon..
if it`s for web. the speex is already in a ogg container.

Speex

Reply #8
But using the speex api how can I put it in an ogg container? Does anybody know how can I find source code to write speex compressed packets into a file with ogg format?

And using the ACM codec for speex how do I create wave files with speex content? I installed the codec and then tryed to play a wav file where I had put speex content in the sound data but it didn't played...

Speex

Reply #9
But using the speex api how can I put it in an ogg container? Does anybody know how can I find source code to write speex compressed packets into a file with ogg format?

You have been told at least one time that speex uses the ogg container as default.
What part of that do you not understand?   

You simply encode with speexenc.exe, then it ends up as speex in a ogg container!

Solaris

Speex

Reply #10
You have been told at least one time that speex uses the ogg container as default.
What part of that do you not understand?  

You simply encode with speexenc.exe, then it ends up as speex in a ogg container!

Solaris

Ok I guess I was not clear about what I need. I developing an aplication that is like a sound recorder (it captures sound from the soundboard and starts writing it to a file using the directsound api). I need to be writing the sound streams that I am capturing from the soundboard to a file and after the recording stops close the file.
I'm already capable of writing it to a normal wav file but I wanted something smaller (but still keep a good quality) so I decided to use Speex. So I need source code to be writing speex encoded sound streams into an ogg container. Speexenc doesn't work because I need to be writing the file as I'm receiving the soundstreams.

Where can I find such source code?

Speex

Reply #11

I need to compress the sound that I'm recording from the soundboard, not to compress a file so the binaries for encoding wav files are not usefull 

He's asking how he can record direct to speex from line-in.  No intermediate (large) wav file.  Is there a direct encoding plugin for foobar (or winamp, or...), or source code readily available for such a task?
Please Keep Our Forum Clean!

Speex

Reply #12
Foobar2000 has a recorder plug in that can record directly into compressed sound files. It supports FLAC and Vorbis, maybe Speex.
"Facts do not cease to exist just because they are ignored."
—Aldous Huxley

Speex

Reply #14
I have another problem I already mentioned before. If I have an OGG file fith Speex encoded sound. How do I play it? I know WinAMP, foobar and XMMS can do it. But is there already any solution for DirectShow? Or is there a way to get Speex into another container, f.e. Matroska? Thanx,    Vlada
P.S. To encode files into speex, I would suggest SpeexDrop from Rarewares.org

Speex

Reply #15
I have another problem I already mentioned before. If I have an OGG file fith Speex encoded sound. How do I play it? I know WinAMP, foobar and XMMS can do it. But is there already any solution for DirectShow? Or is there a way to get Speex into another container, f.e. Matroska? Thanx,     Vlada
P.S. To encode files into speex, I would suggest SpeexDrop from Rarewares.org

You may read here about Speex in matroska. It can be done, but its not anywhere near the top of our priority list for the time being, sorry about that.

For the recording of sound into Ogg Speex on DirectShow, you needed

- a Speex encoder filter
- a modified Ogg muxer filter

for playback

- a Speex decoder filter
- a modified Ogg demuxer filter.

Tobias Waldvogel's sources are uploaded to the Xiph CVS and could be used as a perfect basis for all of that, but you may also have a look at CoreFLAC ( en/decoder filter ) and CoreVorbis ( decoder filter ) as examples of how to code such filters .....