Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Speex 1.1.4 (Read 5379 times) previous topic - next topic

Speex 1.1.4

http://www.speex.org

From the mailing list:

This [release] includes some code cleanup and improvements to the fixed-point port and SSE optimizations. All the SSE code has been converted to intrinsics and some new functions have been implemented with SSE. Overall, the speed has been increased by up to ~30% with SSE.

Speex 1.1.4

Reply #1
Quick encode test with SSE version shows about 20% speed improvement on Athlon XP. Decoding is only few percents faster.
I uploaded my win32 compiles here.

Speex 1.1.4

Reply #2
Any chances for SSE2 one?

Speex 1.1.4

Reply #3
Any chances for SSE2 one?

SSE2 is not faster than SSE, it mainly works with different data types (64bits floats). It is quite unlikely that a speech codec would have to use 64 bits floats.

Speex 1.1.4

Reply #4
SSE2 is not faster than SSE, it mainly works with different data types (64bits floats). It is quite unlikely that a speech codec would have to use 64 bits floats.

I can confirm that: there isn't even one double precision variable in the speex code, so SSE2 is basically useless (except for maybe one float->int conversion function, but even then it doesn't change much).

Speex 1.1.4

Reply #5
writing, or paying to have written, a Free/Open Source fixed-point version of Speex.

so they want fixed-point version, but according to posts here they already have fixed-point version (the reason they don't use SSE2 is because they only need fixed-point stuff of SSE, remark above)? guys either you or the speex.org is contradicting.
The Plan Within Plans

Speex 1.1.4

Reply #6
Quick encode test with SSE version shows about 20% speed improvement on Athlon XP. Decoding is only few percents faster.

Actually, theses are some quick tests I just did with 1.0.3 and 1.1.4. I used the default options (compleity 3, bit-rate 15 kbps, sampling rate 8 kHz) on a 18-minute file (1100 sec.) with my Pentium-M 1.6 GHz. The first column is encode time and the second is decode time (in seconds).

1.0.3 no SSE  40.6    3.1
1.1.4 no SSE  33.5    2.1
1.1.4 w/ SSE  26.9    1.7

Even with no SSE, 1.1.4 is much faster than 1.0.3. Otherwise, you're right that SSE makes a ~20% difference.

Speex 1.1.4

Reply #7
jmvalin:

Although we've never really spoken before... congratulations on keeping the progress of Speex going so quickly. Amazing work there!

Cheers

Ruairi
rc55.com - nothing going on

Speex 1.1.4

Reply #8
so they want fixed-point version, but according to posts here they already have fixed-point version (the reason they don't use SSE2 is because they only need fixed-point stuff of SSE, remark above)? guys either you or the speex.org is contradicting.

I believe SSE uses only 32-bit float, while SSE2 also have 64-bit float instructions. Where does anyone talk about fixed point?

Speex 1.1.4

Reply #9
@ancl read the original quote posted by rjamorim
The Plan Within Plans

Speex 1.1.4

Reply #10
Ok, my fault - should have read better.   

Speex 1.1.4

Reply #11

No contradictions. There are two things here. First, there's an "SSE effort" to make Speex more efficient on modern x86 processors. Then, there's a completely separate effort to have a fixed-point version so Speex can be run on FPU-less processors (ARM, DSPs, ...). The fixed-point effort is a huge task (compared to SSE) and while it's already usable on ARM, there's still a lot of work to do.

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2021