Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: NE1 heared rumours about iPod future formats suppo (Read 1835 times) previous topic - next topic

NE1 heared rumours about iPod future formats suppo

Hi...
This Christmast Santa left at my home an awesome 10Gb's iPod (past year I was a very good boy :-)

It works fine... but (IMHO) lacks of a wider variety of file formats support... MPC... APE (Monkeys Audio), OGG... I think they are enough popular formats to add support to this great piece of hardware...

NE1 heared any rumours about future support to aditional file formats...

Another lack of the iPod (IMHO also) is the inexistance of a public SDK to give to the usars a chance to develop... and there isn't any sign of release something in that way... it's a pity :-(

Best regards to all.

b:.

Reply #1
I think many doubt that Apple will make the iPod compatible with other codecs. They've jumped on the MPEG-4/AAC bandwagon totally and there is little reason for them to spend time and effort porting other codecs that don't have any industry backing.

I think I read somewhere on the Vorbis mailing list that there is the possibility of someone outside of Apple porting Vorbis to iPod but it could be a serious case of wishful thinking.

Reply #2
I also seriously doubt they will open the SDK. All hell would break loose at their support systems with people ruining their iPods with broken SDKs.

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2021