Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: .ape decompresses to perfect copy of wave (Read 3533 times) previous topic - next topic

.ape decompresses to perfect copy of wave

I need to compress these WAVs for space reasons.  Am I correct in assuming that .ape files will decompress to (almost) perfect copies of the original WAV files?

Reply #1
You can get rid of the (almost). It will be exactly the same, not only with APE but with all lossless codecs. That's why the name: lossless.
The object of mankind lies in its highest individuals.
One must have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star.

Reply #2
100% equal copies.
"You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you."

Reply #3
If you don't believe, just do a quick test. Compress your wav to ape, store iriginal wav file in another location, decompress ape file to wav and then compare them in bit comparator (for example in foobar, total commander or other tool). Files should be the same.

Reply #4
Lol 3 affirmations. Let me add mine.
Yes, the wave files decompressed from your ape files are exactly the wave files compressed into your ape files.
This is of course assuming that your hardware and OS is working perfectly.

Reply #5
   Alright!  I was pretty sure the answer was yes, but I just wanted some outside confirmation - which I got.  Thanks.  I just saved about 8GB.  I also noticed when comparing several tracks in FLAC and APE that the APE files were always a few MB smaller...