Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Speex directshow codec (Read 6819 times) previous topic - next topic

Speex directshow codec

Hello, I need a help with playing speex. I made some files usind the commandline and SpeexDrop encoders and I tried to play them. They had different bitrates and sampling rate. They all played in WinAMP 5 and foobar2000, but if I tried to play them using a directshow based player, the player always crashed. I belive the files are in an OGG container, could this be the problem? How can I put the file stream into WAV container? What is in fact the difference between ACM and DirectShow codec? I found out, that the ACM codec is used, if I use speex in an .avi file. This works, but I need a sound file, not a movie. I wanted to put it in Matroska container, but it seems, that speex is not supported in Matroska. Did I make something wrong? How can I play Speex file in a directshow player (f.e. WMP or MPC)? Thank You,    Vlada

Speex directshow codec

Reply #1
You dont need a DirectShow filter to play Speex in Windows Mediaplayer, as well as any other DirectShow based player. They will search for a DShow filter first, thats right, but if they dont find any they will happily use the ACM codec you have on your machine ( if you have any ) for decoding.

Your problem here is, that there is no Ogg DirectShow source filter existing that will support Speex in Ogg. Tobias OggDS can play Vorbis from Ogg, as well as multiple ACM and/or VCM codecs that were muxed into Ogg, but not native Speex in Ogg.

As you already noticed, you have to put Speex in WAV, using Christian Buchner's ACM codec, to be able to play it on Windows with DirectShow. As there is currently also no way to mux Speex in matroska, and the only tool that will allow to mux any ACM audio stream into matroska is VdubMod ( which will require a video stream to do so, even if its a fake video stream and is removed later ) i am sorry i cant offer you any nice way of making and playing such files with DirectShow  ....

Speex directshow codec

Reply #2
Thanks a lot for the answer, even if it didn't please me :-) I'll try to make a 1 frame long uncompressed video file and add speex voice to it in VDubMod, I'll see what will happen.  Also I was trying to find a program, which can use ACM codecs to encode audio, but the only one I know is EAC and I don't know how to make it to encode WAV files. There is really no way to put Speex into WAV container? Hopefully someone will make a program for it.    Thanks once again,    Vlada

Speex directshow codec

Reply #3
Thanks a lot for the answer, even if it didn't please me :-) I'll try to make a 1 frame long uncompressed video file and add speex voice to it in VDubMod, I'll see what will happen.  Also I was trying to find a program, which can use ACM codecs to encode audio, but the only one I know is EAC and I don't know how to make it to encode WAV files. There is really no way to put Speex into WAV container? Hopefully someone will make a program for it.    Thanks once again,    Vlada

The video should have the same length as the audio, to avoid problems. But, you can use a very low picture resolution and bitrate, as you will trash it anyhow ....

Speex directshow codec

Reply #4
Directshow can do some funny stuff every now and then, but it should work.  You may want to use AVISynth to feed VirtualDub the album cover as frames over and over.  With low framerate you shouldn't take to much space.