Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Best compression for 1-bit B&W pictures (text) (Read 3079 times) previous topic - next topic

Best compression for 1-bit B&W pictures (text)

Hi!
What format and compression offers the smallest file size for 1 bit (B&W) 600 dpi picture? As far as I know - TIFF CCIT Group 4...
Am I right?

Reply #2
Thanks, rjamorim!
Thats very interesting... But what software is able to use this JBIG2? Is there a plugin for ACDSee for converting (encoding to it)?

Reply #3
Is there a plugin for ACDSee for converting (encoding to it)?

None that I know of.

The only good JBIG2 encoder I know of is PowerCompressor

http://www.imagepower.com/products/desktop...compressor.html

There's also some discussion going on to add JBIG2 support to TIFF, but nothing has been decided so far.

Reply #4
Thank you very much, Roberto!
I'll try it.

Reply #5
A pity, that you cannot use them in html
IE 6 doesn't decode jb2
And you are able to look these pictures only in the program in which you encoded them  (PowerCompressor), a pity also that it (PwrCp) doesn't accept a lot of formats (gif, tif with LZW compression and so on)
So I have no choice but to use TIFF and CITT Group 4 compression
I just have a very big (hundreds of pictures) doc file, which I'm going to make a htm and to upload  for ppl...
But before that to make it smaller I’ll convert with ACDSee all the pictures to the format which gives the best (smallest) file size.
Still, you are quite right, JBIG2 gives better compression than TIFF G4… A pity though that it so narrowly spread and it makes nearly impossible the usage of it…

Reply #6
Jbig2 is natively supported on PDF v1.4 (Acrobat 5) and up. What means, any acrobat reader since v5.0 can load PDF files with Jbig2 images embedded.

So, I believe PDF would be the best medium for you to distribute your documents.

Good luck finding a program that encodes PDF with Jbig2 though. Some options are PARC Silx and CVision PDFcompressor. Problem is, these programs are only available for big volume licensing. An end-user option would be using the Compression Acrobat Agent, sold by Adobe.

Even if you decide to go with G4, I think that PDF would be a better medium of document delivery than HTML. Heck, PDF was made with that purpose in mind. :B

Good luck;

Roberto.

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2021