Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Speek approrpriate for Comedy or Acapella? (Read 4058 times) previous topic - next topic

Speek approrpriate for Comedy or Acapella?

I'm wondering about whether or not Speex would be appropriate for encoding recordings of comedians and/or acapella albums.

These have the unique property of being >90% recorded with the human voice, but I have no idea how appropriate Speex or any other speech codec would be for these types of albums.

Thoughts anyone?

Reply #1
I would suggest encoding an album and if you like the results, go for it.
"I told my psychiatrist that everyone hates me. He said I was being ridiculous - everyone hasn't met me yet." - Rodney Dangerfield

Reply #2
I'm wondering about whether or not Speex would be appropriate for encoding recordings of comedians and/or acapella albums.

These have the unique property of being >90% recorded with the human voice, but I have no idea how appropriate Speex or any other speech codec would be for these types of albums.

Thoughts anyone?

If the comic stuff is mostly spoken word, then speex should do just fine. Acapella, on the other hand would be better with a normal audio codec.

Reply #3
If there are problems with Speex for this kind of material, I think that you would be most likely to hear them in passages of applause/laughter.  Try a couple of such passages and see whether they sound too distorted for you.