Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: update on alt-preset normal and rev6 source (Read 4174 times) previous topic - next topic

update on alt-preset normal and rev6 source

I've just now had a chance to start trying to put together the source for rev6 and there are some new developments.

I've pretty much ditched --alt-preset normal entirely.  As more clips have been uncovered which expose it's flaws, it is becoming more apparent that many of the issues are not properly fixable.  So what I have instead done is gone back to alt-preset high (dm-standard)and have started applying a few of the techniques I learned from my experimentation to this.  I have been able to significantly lower bitrate (~30kbps give or take) on metal so far.  I need to test more albums but this should hold and this is also done without screwing up serioustrouble which was my biggest problem before.  Also, high frequency content should be for the most part encoded just as much as before with the old standard, which means more high frequency than alt-preset normal.  At any rate, this puts the new mode in the range of alt-preset normal for that material, while doing better on lower volume material at a lower bitrate than alt-preset normal.

The real hard part now is trying to get impulse handling as good as it was before.. I'm getting there.. fatboy sounds pretty good along with ravebase and gbtinc.. (I think actually better than alt-preset normal) it will be a little difficult to get these to sound as good at as low of a bitrate as alt-preset normal though, but overall that's not a big deal since they are rare and bitrates for quiet music are much lower.. so it evens out.

The one clip I think I'm going to have problems with by taking this approach is "short"... since it barely triggers any short blocks, it's hard to be able to handle this situation appropriately.  Maybe I can figure something out.

In the end, all of this is probably a good thing because alt-preset normal was in a way just a massive hack.  Many of the changes I made had to be hard coded and hand tuned and did not fit in very well with the other modes (which is why I never released the source early on).  I guess in a way that preset was basically a big experiment from which I learned quite a few useful things that can be applied in other situations now.

And for some good news... you are all probably wondering how I'm able to work on this stuff.. I may not be able to visit the website much as has already been discussed, but at the very least I should be able to work on LAME at times.. so I'll try to keep improving things at least up until the new mode is finalized.

I'll try to make all of this available as soon as I can.

Reply #1
Hi Dibrom...

It's very nice to hear from you again. The best news is that you at least seem to be able to carry on with some of the things in your life.

Originally posted by Dibrom

The real hard part now is trying to get impulse handling as good as it was before.. I'm getting there.. fatboy sounds pretty good along with ravebase and gbtinc.. 

This is very good news. Better impulse handling was just what I was hoping for with the --alt-preset normal (which was great stuff BTW).

The good part about this change to the "old" setting is that some for us now can apply a tweak (like a lowpass) if we need lower bitrates.

But don't force yourself into this work. Remember to take care, okay?

With the highest regards, stoff

Reply #2
I'll second that! 

john33

Reply #3
Great to hear from you Dibrom! 

We all missed you!

I "third" what the others have said;
take care of yourself first, and lame second...

Take care,
RD

Reply #4
Dibrom,

So, can we get a link to this new rev6?  Also, does this mean that --alt-preset normal is being redone?  I'm taking it like you are saying that --alt-preset high with some adjustments is the new --alt-preset normal.

Link if you please! 

mp3

Reply #5
Glad to see that everything seems fine, Dibrom

Reply #6
I hadn´t the chance to be active over the past 10 days.
I had to read a lot after the things came up, some technical
and one very personal thing you announced.

It is hard every time you here about someone get a stroke you
are familiar with in a kind. Even just from a few messages in forums.

I am glad to read some actual words from you and want to say my
best wishes to you, dibrom!

Ears up!

regards

Wombat
Is troll-adiposity coming from feederism?
With 24bit music you can listen to silence much louder!

Reply #7
As everybody else, I am very happy to hear from you again Dibrom. Your --alt-preset normal has kept me busy for the last couple of days
Best of luck to you and your family and don't worry about your abscence. I'm sure we'll find tons of mp3 trivialities to talk about in the mean time