Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Which is the best player in your opinion? (Read 9970 times) previous topic - next topic

Which is the best player in your opinion?

If excluded foobar and winamp. 

Reply #1
XMMS.

Reply #2
Jesus Christ! Again!!!!!

Please, stop the madness!

Reply #3
If excluded foobar and winamp. 

Don't make me show you my detailed, graphic PDF.
Happiness - The agreeable sensation of contemplating the misery of others.

Reply #4
Don't make me show you my detailed, graphic PDF.

Wow, that seems interesting  (w00t)

Reply #6
There was also a poll some time ago :-P

Reply #7
LOL ..... i'd love to start a new thread titled

'What is the best and most powerful combined audio and video player in your opinion'

but i feared Dibrom would kick my ass  .......

Reply #8
Windows Media Player
--alt-presets are there for a reason! These other switches DO NOT work better than it, trust me on this.
LAME + Joint Stereo doesn't destroy 'Stereo'

Reply #9
you don't know but.. lamip will be a good player

Reply #10
Windows Media Player

Reply #11
Windows Media Player

That means ( currently ) :

No AAC from AAC tracks, only from MP4 files
No HE-AAC ( AAC SBR ) from AAC tracks, very limited from MP4
No FLAC
No Wavpack
No Optimfrog
Bad AC3 because of filter confusion if PowerDVD or WinDVD are installed
No AC3 SPDIF playback to external receivers via koax/toslink
No equalizer
No sound-presets for every song
No good playlist
No media library
No IRC modules
No tagging ( or only very limited )
No video resizing
No DShow filter list access ( only in 6.4 ) to change filter settings
Limited subtitles playback
No good audio stream switcher
etc. ....

You dont honestly or seriously call this a 'good' player, do you  ??

Reply #12
No IRC modules

what are those for?
PANIC: CPU 1: Cache Error (unrecoverable - dcache data) Eframe = 0x90000000208cf3b8
NOTICE - cpu 0 didn't dump TLB, may be hung

Reply #13
TO HJW:

Media Library: Click Media Library, and there you can see it !!!
TagSupport: Right-Click on media file - AdvancedTag Editor
Equalizer: was the first thing I tried in WMP
Video Resizing: Click on bottom right corner and try to drag it, you will be probably surprised of video resizing.
IRC Modules: IT IS A MEDIA PLAYER, not comunicating software
Playlist: simply normal playlist, I can't see any disadvantages on it

Oh, and you have forgotten one thing: NO BUGS

Ciao, Kekso

Reply #14
No IRC modules

what are those for?

Copied and pasted from #tcmp , irc.corecodec.com :

<ChrisHJW> http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....=0&#entry122259 <---- Blacksun, read the last reply ... you care giving the guy a screenshot of what an IRC module does ?
<BlackSun>   what is an irc module ?
<ChrisHJW>   
<Toff>   yeah what's that ?
<ChrisHJW>   what are you guys using to make this funny displays here in the channel about what you are currently playing ?
<BlackSun>   np (>^o^)> .::TCMP::. <(^o^<) »» - «» 0:03/7:36 «» FhG/CBR/160 Kbps «« #tcmp @ irc.corecodec.com
<ChrisHJW>   i thought this is a module ?
<Toff>   np ::. matrix_cow.wmv .::. 0:03/2:33 .:: #tcmp irc.corecodec.com
<BlackSun>   mirc plugin ^^
<BlackSun>   just copy and past
<ChrisHJW>   for mIRC, yes, i thought so
<ChrisHJW>   COPY AND PASTE  !!!
<ChrisHJW>   this has to be automatic ! One button on the player, and there goes the message
<Toff>   np ::. [Noir OST1] Koppelia no Hitsugi (CDJAPAN: vicl-60737) .::. streamed from http://ost.jav.net:8000 .::. since 0:04 .:: #tcmp irc.corecodec.com
<BlackSun>   I mean copy and paste my sentence
<BlackSun>   I just type /tcmp
<BlackSun>   np (>^o^)> .::TCMP::. <(^o^<) »» - «» 1:30/7:36 «» FhG/CBR/160 Kbps «« #tcmp @ irc.corecodec.com
<Toff>   np ::. [Chobits OST 2] Let Me Be With You - Round Table featuring Chii (CDJAPAN: VICL-60887) .::. streamed from http://ost.jav.net:8000 .::. since 0:27 .:: #tcmp irc.corecodec.com
<Toff>   \o/ yeaaaaaah

You know, i knew the guys have these but i am too old for that, so i was maybe using the wrong name ... its a mIRC plugin for TCMP to display what the guys are currently playing ....

Reply #15
TO HJW:

Media Library: Click Media Library, and there you can see it !!!
TagSupport: Right-Click on media file - AdvancedTag Editor
Equalizer: was the first thing I tried in WMP
Video Resizing: Click on bottom right corner and try to drag it, you will be probably surprised of video resizing.
IRC Modules: IT IS A MEDIA PLAYER, not comunicating software
Playlist: simply normal playlist, I can't see any disadvantages on it

Are you talking about WMP 8/9 ? Well, i am still on Win2k, like many others are, and you wont see me screwing my setup by installing any of these bloatware players eating CPU and resources like crazy, for sure  ..... when i talk about WMP, i talk the classic 6.4, and maybe 7, but only once for having a basic playlist for MP3's before i found out what good players are ....

Oh, and you have forgotten one thing: NO BUGS
Ciao, Kekso

You should know that free software without bugs is a contradiction in itself  ......

Reply #16
You should know that free software without bugs is a contradiction in itself  ......

Well, maybe in France... LMAO

Reply #17
@ChristianHJW: I don't undestand how you can call it bloatware after seeing that long list in your second post 

Edit: Changed "first post" to "second post"

Reply #18

Well, maybe in France... LMAO

I dont know why Radlight people think they could win friends and push their products by insulting other people's work, but as i consider JohnV, one of the admins here, being a friend of mine i wont allow that this thread is turned into a flamewar, or a playground for a nice 'Radlight vs. Corecodec' battle, as this is simply OT here. TCMP RC4 is still in beta stage, and they could resolve a big number of bugs compared to RC3 matroska edition, that was working 'almost' stable on both of my machines now for several months.

Almost no video encoder is using WMP in real life today, maybe WMP 6.4 sometimes for a quick check, because its loading pretty quickly in most cases, but thats it. And even then, its worthless for the audio community here as there is clearly no good support for most of the important audio formats i mentioned above, unless somebody ( the Radlight team maybe ?? ) makes some nice DirectShow filters for some of them, like Corecodec Team has done with CoreAAC, CoreVorbis and soon CoreFLAC.

Sidenote ( i stop now, i promise ) : Its interesting that a member of the Radlight team likes WMP so much, considering they want to have money for the full featured version of their player, while WMP is coming free of cost with every Windows installation already or can be downloaded from M$ sites free of cost, has a LOT more features than Radlight player and is even coming without any kind of spyware ( hopefully )  .....  LOL !

Reply #19
[deleted]

Reply #20
Hi Christian,

Nobody from RadLight is not doing what you call "pushing our products by insulting other people's work". Actually, when I saw the title of this thread I simply ignored it because I am not so lame to promote my own player myself (sure I may think it's good but as I said, it's unappropriate for any member of our team to post in such threads). You, on the other hand are trying to avoid this by posting that "WMP sucks" rather than posting "TCMP rulez". Moreover, the "facts" you presented here are rather misleading and I think it's ok to point this out, isn't it?

Please, try not to fool people by creating a false feeling of RadLight vs. CoreCodec tension. We are in the same business and we both earn money by selling 'Pro' versions of our players

Sidenote : I can't say that we love WMP, that's pretty obvious. But it's not as bad as you pictured it in your post.

All the best,
Martin

edit: typos

Reply #21
This doesn't belong here. 
This belongs in the Off-Topic forum where a discussion of "the best" players is already underway.  This thread should be moved.

Yes, please somebody move it, i'd love to give a decent reply to DAvenger's conversion of what was actually said here ......

Reply #22
Recently, a lot of threads finish with flamewars/offtopic posts. Maybe some of you must spend more time developing software, and less here (and I'm saying this in a friendly tone, believe me).
Thanks.

Reply #23
Haha. Great post, DAvenger.

I was just going to post something similar after reading some posts in this thread.

Reply #24
Are you talking about WMP 8/9 ? Well, i am still on Win2k, like many others are, and you wont see me screwing my setup by installing any of these bloatware players eating CPU and resources like crazy, for sure  ..... when i talk about WMP, i talk the classic 6.4, and maybe 7, but only once for having a basic playlist for MP3's before i found out what good players are ....

WMP9 works pretty well in 2000.  Better then 7 IMO and not as crappy as 8.  I just upgraded a bunch of 2000 workstations to it without issue.