Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: mp4 command line tagger (Read 78994 times) previous topic - next topic

mp4 command line tagger

Reply #50
I once hacked a small MPEG4IP-based tagger together. It supports (almost) all the common tags, but not freeform, though. It should be on RareWares along with the source code. If you make a statically compiled Windows binary, send it to me

Here it is. Didn't get to announce it yet.

http://rarewares.hydrogenaudio.org/files/m...win.tar.bz2.tar

It's a MacOS X binary + sources.

I would also welcome Win32 binaries...

Regards;

Roberto.

mp4 command line tagger

Reply #51
[oops]

mp4 command line tagger

Reply #53
FrDakota:  what would you like the program to do with accented chars: change to _ or change to utf-8? will both iTunes and EphPod handle files tagged utf-8?

Using UTF-8 would be the good way for me since it would mean compatibility with iTunes on the Mac and also the coming iTunes for Windows.

The files tagged with TG.exe now are accepted with EphPod (2.73, no crash) and accented caracters are OK, but we're talking about Windows app talking to another Windows app so they use the same charset.

The effect on moving a TG tagged file to iTunes is devastating since any string is cut at the first accented char (Générique becomes G).

iTunes tagged files appear incorrectly in EphPod since it doesn't have UTF-8 support either. But it more readable than the other way. (1 accented char is replaced by 2 chars, the string is understandable and can be corrected easily).

Using a "_" as a replacement char is a possible solution if one wants better compatibility with iTunes, maybe as an optional switch.

But I think that would be a temporary solution, because IMO TG and EphPod should support UTF-8 mostly for the compatibility with the coming iTunes for Windows.

mp4 command line tagger

Reply #54
Please see if this works.  The only change was to try to add utf support, but I haven't tested much. 

http://users.rcn.com/rpritz/tgutf.zip

mp4 command line tagger

Reply #55
Please see if this works.  The only change was to try to add utf support, but I haven't tested much. 

It works great! (w00t)

I've encoded and tagged 2 CDs with lots of accented chars.

iTunes got them all properly. Great job.

Now remains Joe with EphPod, he should handle UTF-8 so that I don't have to rename after transfer. 

mp4 command line tagger

Reply #56
Excellent!

What is EphPod doing with the utf-8 tagged files?

mp4 command line tagger

Reply #57
Excellent!

What is EphPod doing with the utf-8 tagged files?

Showing them exactly like this.

La fête de l'être suprême -> La fête de l'être suprême

La révolution française -> La révolution française

Générique -> Générique

Since EphPod doesn't interpret the string, so you see it's quite easy to replace 2 chars by 1 afterwards. Only annoying, but since I want compatibility with iTunes I can live with that.  (for the moment  )

Just in case I transfer from iPod to Mac/PC 

mp4 command line tagger

Reply #58
I can't use tag.exe
I tried utf and 030910 version.But both of tag.exe make error with msvcrt.dll
msvcrt.dll ver 7.0.2600.1106 00033a96

mp4 command line tagger

Reply #59
DEATH reports that tg.exe kills any Replaygain tags added by FB2K if used after being RG tagged.
In Case Of Bose, Break Glass
Flac yuo in teh ASIO!

mp4 command line tagger

Reply #60
What's the latest news on this tagger? Is it still in development? I downloaded tgutf.zip which contains tg.exe v0.38 Sept 12 2003. Is that the latest version?

Thanks in advance!

mp4 command line tagger

Reply #61

It works great! (w00t)

I've encoded and tagged 2 CDs with lots of accented chars.

iTunes got them all properly. Great job.

Now remains Joe with EphPod, he should handle UTF-8 so that I don't have to rename after transfer. 
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=134139"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

here special characters, like ä ö ü are not displayed correctly
I know, that I know nothing (Socrates)

mp4 command line tagger

Reply #62
here special characters, like ä ö ü are not displayed correctly
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=341149"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

thats because tg.exe does NOT do any conversion to utf-8. if you want your tags to be in correct utf-8 you need to feed tg.exe with utf-8 and this is NOT possible with .bat files (as these are stored as ANSI)

however there is a way to use windows to feed tg.exe with utf-8:
1) run the dos console (normally under start -> programs -> tools -> dos)
2) type
chcp 65001
which will change the console to use utf-8
3) go to the console settings and change from "rasterfont" to "lucida console" under "fonts"
4) type the commandline normally placed in your .bat file as always
5) enjoy your tags in correct utf-8 (also shown correctly in itunes/quicktime)

if you dont do this on windows you dont have your tags stored in utf-8 and quicktime/itunes doesnt display special characters correctly

apart from that someone warned me that tg is not save to use as it seems to fuck up some atoms, also if you tag a file multiple times with it you will get duplicate atoms (look at them in dumpster), so tg is propably not save to use

I don't have quicktime 7.03 installed, so I can't say anything about that, but I see you testing with the "tg" binary. You should be careful with it.

After some.... massaging, I managed to compile it on Mac OS X. First of all, if your udta atom (I think) is over 200,000 bytes it bombs out (easily fixed). But then it also strips all but a handful of atoms in "moov.udta.meta.ilst". Granted, most I don't care about. On a sample iTunes purchases song, it worked: worked at stripping 21 atoms to 7. And it removed my "covr.data" atom. Besides that, while it deleted those atoms, all it did was make a "free" atom: 460kb worth of null space. That amounted to 11% - a heavy price if you do it a huge number of files.

Not to berate the author of the software, because I know we all start somewhere, and it was a good crack at it, but just know that that tagger isn't idyllic (although none really are), and there are compromises in using that tg.exe tagger.
I know, that I know nothing (Socrates)

mp4 command line tagger

Reply #63
Not that this currently works on Windows, but it does (mostly) work on Debian x86. I've tried compiling it under mingw in Win98SE under emulation, but I am unfamiliar with compiling in that environment. It's still a little broken under mingw. In any event, the source is up at http://sourceforge.net/projects/atomicparsley

While not specifically coded for utf-8 support, at least on Mac OS X, it does support utf-8. Even japanese. There are some differences in what AtomicParsley does that iTunes doesn't. Currently all text tags are null terminated, while in iTunes, they aren't necessarily. And it sets tags that iTunes doesn't provide a way to alter (like lyric advisory & the new tv show atoms).

And apparently in cyrillic.

Edit2: a native win32 version is now available that will soon have feature-parity.

mp4 command line tagger

Reply #64
Wow!

The cygwin version of AtomicParsley worked on 2 files but failed on an ateme mp4 - but then iTunes didn't like it before it was even touched.

Thanks.

mp4 command line tagger

Reply #65
richard, i don't remember if already asked, but tg.exe always finish with an errorlevel of 1, when should be 0, any idea?