Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Looking for a recommendation on a universal disc player. (Read 3944 times) previous topic - next topic

Looking for a recommendation on a universal disc player.

I'd like to get a "universal" disc player that can play CDs, SACDs, DVD-Audio and Blu-Ray audio that isn't going to cost an arm and a leg.

I am fully aware that SACD and DVD-A doesn't buy me anything from it's higher resolution.  But there are unique remasters available only in this format, which are praised as being quite good (The DVD-A release of I-Robot, by The Alan Parsons Project comes to mind).

Right now I have a CD Player, an DVD Player that plays SACD and another DVD Player that plays DVD-As.  It would be nice to consolidate them all down to one component that plays all disc formats.  It's pretty easy to find a cheap player that does SACD and a cheap player that does DVD-A, but getting on that does both suddenly shoots the price up a few hundred dollars.

And though Blu Ray audio is only in it's infancy (if it even really catches on), it would be good to have as a feature to "future proof" yourself and make sure you can play the format should someone decide to release an unique remaster only in this format.

Re: Looking for a recommendation on a universal disc player.

Reply #1
There's lots of affordable Pioneers but without bluray - http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/Blu-ray-Disc/Pioneer-DVD-Players/DV-588A-S
Also some used Denons like the 3910 but SACD and blu-ray together might be rare
maybe an Oppo ~ http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-udp-205/
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?  ;~)

Reply #3
I'd like to get a "universal" disc player that can play CDs, SACDs, DVD-Audio and Blu-Ray audio that isn't going to cost an arm and a leg.

I am fully aware that SACD and DVD-A doesn't buy me anything from it's higher resolution.  But there are unique remasters available only in this format, which are praised as being quite good (The DVD-A release of I-Robot, by The Alan Parsons Project comes to mind).

Right now I have a CD Player, an DVD Player that plays SACD and another DVD Player that plays DVD-As.  It would be nice to consolidate them all down to one component that plays all disc formats.  It's pretty easy to find a cheap player that does SACD and a cheap player that does DVD-A, but getting on that does both suddenly shoots the price up a few hundred dollars.

Used Universal players can be obtained for very reasonable prices - I had one given to me for free. 

Just stay clear of the Placebophile favorites.

Reply #4
Used Oppo's like this can be had on ebay for $150 http://www.ebay.com/itm/OPPO-BDP-83-Blu-ray-Disc-Player-with-SACD-DVD-Audio-and-VRS-Technology-/272761582593?epid=77206414&hash=item3f81db7401:g:F-EAAOSw0j9ZPJn8

The problem with used devices like these is the shipping.  The shipping calculator on eBay says $50 to get it to me.

I've been trying to use Craigslist to by things to avoid shipping charges, but it seems my area is full of placebophiles with unrealistic expectations for how much their used goods are worth.  I've seen universal disc players selling for more than what they sold for new, because they're "rare" and "audiophile grade"

Reply #5
Used Oppo's like this can be had on ebay for $150 http://www.ebay.com/itm/OPPO-BDP-83-Blu-ray-Disc-Player-with-SACD-DVD-Audio-and-VRS-Technology-/272761582593?epid=77206414&hash=item3f81db7401:g:F-EAAOSw0j9ZPJn8

The problem with used devices like these is the shipping.  The shipping calculator on eBay says $50 to get it to me.

I've been trying to use Craigslist to by things to avoid shipping charges, but it seems my area is full of placebophiles with unrealistic expectations for how much their used goods are worth.  I've seen universal disc players selling for more than what they sold for new, because they're "rare" and "audiophile grade"

It is pretty obvious to me that gouging on shipping changes is in many cases just a way to raise the price.

Many placebophiles have been trained by the Golden Ear Media to overestimate the residual value of gear, just like they are trained to overestimate the effectiveness of many common audiophile myths.  Hence my suggestion to avoid equipment that attracts placebophile purchasers.

Reply #6
One other tip. A possibly lesser known source of used audio gear in the US is Goodwill industries:  https://www.shopgoodwill.com/buyers/

Shipping is pretty reasonable, and the bidding, especially for lesser-known products, is often pretty thin.

I've been wanting one of those mainstream linear-tracking turntables to play with  and just scored one for  about $27, $11 for a working table and arm, and $16 for shipping from Minnesota.

Reply #7
That's still $200 for a UD player. How much were you expecting to pay?
This may be out of your range, but at least it has warranty http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/yambda1020bl/yamaha-bd-a1020-3d-universal-blu-ray-player-w/wi-fi/1.html
Ironically a refurb, but I've found Yamahas reliability to be above par (my BDA1000 still going strong). YMMV
Loudspeaker manufacturer

Reply #8
Look out for the UHD-Player Sony UBP-X1000ES $699, or Sony UBP-X800 $299

Both support UHD, BluRay, SACD, DVD-Audio/Video, CD
IMHO the best deal is the UBP-X800
.halverhahn