Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: First EAC install: blue screen (Read 5438 times) previous topic - next topic

First EAC install: blue screen

Hi guys, first post.

Wanting to switch from LAME and CDex to FLAC and EAC.

I've found no Q's and A's on this one: I'm trying to install EAC. That's as far as I've come yet with EAC. I get instant blue screen, and the next split second an automatic reboot. No chance to read the blue screen in that split second.

I saw something about possible conflicts with other installed codec software, so I uninstalled the little I had including of course CDex, but that didn't cure the blue screen problem.

If anyone think they might be able to offer help on this, what would you need to know about my system? Win XP. BTW, I'm not the average comupter wiz -- or hadn't you guessed? Still hoping to archive losless and use the PC to boom my tunes.

spahn ranch

Reply #1
In System applet from Control Panel you can disable automatic rebooting (somewhere in the Advenced tab) so you can see what's on the blue screen.

Reply #2
Thanks, rutra80.

Blue screen says:

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

And it says:

Technical information:
*** STOP: 0X000000D1
*** USBSTOR.SYS-Address T7877616 base at F7877000, Datestamp 3b7d8696

So, I don't know what to make of that, or what may be relevant to the issue and what may not be. I've never had a blue screen before just from trying to install apps; I can't even recall ever having a problem installing anything with XP. The version I'm trying to install is: eac095pb5. That's the latest "tried and true" version, isn't it?

Reply #3
A crash in usbstor.sys? hmm. Maybe remove all your USB storage devices?

Reply #4
Axon, thanks for helping out!

The install dialogue pops up now. Whatever harm the USB storage device did, this is still nicer than the blue screen.

Reply #5
Unbelievable. The DVD-R I was going to use with EAC is apparently the USB device which casues the blue screen when firing up EAC.

:/

spahn ranch

Reply #6
The version I'm trying to install is: eac095pb5. That's the latest "tried and true" version, isn't it?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=332215"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Nope, the newest version is 095b3. Try the version without CDRDAO package and without installer (just extract the ZIP).
Unbelievable. The DVD-R I was going to use with EAC is apparently the USB device which casues the blue screen when firing up EAC.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=332239"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

If you got blue screen on installation (not on EAC launch), then maybe it will be working after installation.

Reply #7
That was it, rutra80. Much obliged!

eac095pb5 wouldn't even look at my drive: it needed to be plugged and recognized on firing up EAC (after EAC installation). Bring on the blue screen.
The new zipper EAC without the CDRDAO package seems to get along with the USB DVD-R.

Again, thanks guys for the help and assistance, I appreciate it!

spahn ranch

--
Edit: typo

Reply #8
I have a USB CD burner that I use occasionally, it's faster than my DVD burner.  Anyhow, if it is on and connected and I open EAC, I will get a blue screen.  Just lettin' you know that I have a similar problem. 

Reply #9
I used to get a similar problem, and i now believe it was down to ASAPI (the ASPI alternative). Each time when i updated my burner's firmware and the drive was re-detected, i got an instant bluescreen when opening EAC. I now use the Native Interface and it hasn't happened yet. I'm not sure what exactly happened, but you could try to ask on the EAC forum.

Reply #10
Looks like I'll have to give EAC another shot at the blue screen...

Still in the process of researching before archiving, I've learned that my NEC DVD-R doesn't lead in/lead out.
With a laptop, finding the right camel for the needle eye looks tough: not many listed drives with good EAC specs are external. Well, I've found none yet.