Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: CD->lossless->ogg without losing TAG info? (Read 3212 times) previous topic - next topic

CD->lossless->ogg without losing TAG info?

Is there any way to convert a CD to any of the lossless formats with tags (not in the file names), and then convert to ogg?

I originally tried CD->ape->mp3 with no problems, but when I tried ape->ogg, the tags got lost. And ape has the problem of not supporting ID3v2 and many fields get cut.

I know I can do my home work and prepare some scripts, but my question is, are there there some standard tools out there that already do this?

Maybe ogg flac -> ogg vorbis?

TNX, AGS.

edit: sp

Reply #1
Originally posted by AGS

Going maybe ogg flac -> ogg vorbis?

Won't work: the current tags are part of vorbis, not of ogg.

--
GCP

Reply #2
Are there any new updates that could be added to this post?

I am interested in the same thing (CD -> FLAC -> ogg vorbis), and would like to retain my FLAC tags in the conversion to ogg vorbis.

Also, are there any advantages to encoding with the ogg-FLAC option?

Any answers would be appreciated. Thanks, jr
"There is no point in saving WAV... unless you have a huge HD in a very slow computer" - Jan S. (WAV or FLAC, Space No Problem)

Reply #3
You could either use OggencFLAC from Rarewares, which allows transcoding to Vorbis while keeping the tags or use foobar2000 and Case's excellent foo_vorbisenc , which will do the same.

dev0
"To understand me, you'll have to swallow a world." Or maybe your words.

Reply #4
Are there any new updates that could be added to this post?

I am interested in the same thing (CD -> FLAC -> ogg vorbis), and would like to retain my FLAC tags in the conversion to ogg vorbis.

Also, are there any advantages to encoding with the ogg-FLAC option?

Any answers would be appreciated. Thanks, jr

Ogg FLAC is not recommended for archiving or normal use, but only for special purposes like Streaming.

dev0
"To understand me, you'll have to swallow a world." Or maybe your words.