Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: WavPack md5 question (Read 3329 times) previous topic - next topic

WavPack md5 question

Quick question:

When converting to WavPack lossless, I use the -hm options - h is for higher queality compression and m is for creating an md5 checksum.  Is this checksum just for verifying the integrity of the file, or how exactly does it work?  I am not using my files for trading purposes, but I just want to do everything I can to personally ensure that my archive is sound.

When I searched, RainDawg's post here made me wonder if I should even bother.  Is it verifying the integrity or is it just identifying the file somehow?

When I ran a verify on one of these files, it didn't bring up anything about the stored md5 in the results. 

WavPack md5 question

Reply #1
Yes, the MD5 is stored for integrity checking purposes.

WavPack md5 question

Reply #2
The md5 only works on the decoded audio data. This allows you to check if the audio data in the file is identical, between two files that may have different tagging or compression settings.

I think this is not so important for normal usage.

WavPack md5 question

Reply #3
You don't need md5 at all for checking Wavpack files for errors. You can use its built-in CRC check using the "wvunpack -v" command, as bryant himself said:

the MD5 checksums are really not needed to verify WavPack files; their internal checks on every block are virtually as robust in a real-world sense.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You might want to have a look at [a href="http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=27206]this[/url] thread, about how to deal with wavpack errors. There are some valuable tips for batch verifying wavpack files there.
You can also create MD5 hashes, of course, but these won't be used by wavpack. You can use them with third-party md5 checking tools. It's just another nice option wavpack has

EDIT: "wvunpack -v" not "wavpack -v".

WavPack md5 question

Reply #4
Understood, thanks for getting back to me so quick.