Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Vorbis PDA game audio (Read 2901 times) previous topic - next topic

Vorbis PDA game audio

Hey,

Here's the situation, there's this 'Lucasarts Virtual Machine' (opensource, http://www.scummvm.org) that allows you to play all kinds of old lucasarts adventures in pretty much every OS imaginable (dreamcasts, phones, linux, windows..) and is able to use ogg vorbis for audio compression. Also, scummvm is out for pocketPC.

Combine the two and you can compress the entire game (say) Day of the Tentacle to like 10Mb + audio data. Obviously you'd want to compress this audio (11khz, 16bit mono I think, mostly speech) the best possible way. And this results in a few questions:

1/ Should speex be used, even though some of the samples are non speech? ('sound effects')? I don't want to spoil my game experience by having fine speech but distorted by artefacts, and asking the programmers of scummvm to mix both will cost them considerable work - they have better things to do 

2/ I'm interested in 'near-original' quality, not 'barely intelligible at extreme bitrates', for 11k, 16b, mono I think 32kbit should be fine, right? (speex or no)

3/ Right now, scummvm converts all audio samples from the big file into single files, then encodes each of the files into .ogg's, and then adds all those together again. This will result in fairly big codebook loss, won't it? One codebook for each file. Now one could conceivably first append all samples to one another, then encode that to one big ogg, and then seek inside that big .ogg. The question: won't we get strange effects with pre-echo and some parts of one sample 'spilling into' the other sample?  And if so, any way to prevent this?

Thanks

Vorbis PDA game audio

Reply #1
AFAIK scummv doesn't support Speex so you only choices would be MP3 and Ogg Vorbis. (Please, correct me if I am wrong.)

Vorbis PDA game audio

Reply #2
Use the source, Luke!

Ruairi
rc55.com - nothing going on

Vorbis PDA game audio

Reply #3
AFAIK scummv doesn't support Speex so you only choices would be MP3 and Ogg Vorbis. (Please, correct me if I am wrong.)

Well, since scummvm is opensource and so is vorbis/speex it could be 'conceivable' that speex is put in if it has great advantages and no disadvantages.

Still noone here able to provide some insight? Ogg dev guys? Ello?