Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: OGMs don't work with megamix? (Read 5020 times) previous topic - next topic

OGMs don't work with megamix?

I am unable to make an ogm out of the Forrest Gump DVD. I ripped the Audio 5.1 AC3, transcoded it to WAV using AC3Decode, encoded it using Vorbis megamix I and vorbisgained it. Now Oggmux (0.9.4) says it can't open the ogg file.

So I reripped the Audio and did the same process again. But I used megamix II (again q2) this time. It still doesn't work.

I'm running windows XP pro SP1. Each time I open the directory (in which there is the ogg file) using the windows explorer it loads 400MB into my RAM (which is only 256MB, it gets up to 600 to 700MB.. )

Did anyone observe the same problem?

best regards

Daniel
I love the moderators.

Reply #1
I used Megamix 2 in my last ripp (AC3-> Ogg with Besweet/Oggmachine, muxing with Oggmux) no problems at all !!

Reply #2
Now Oggmux (0.9.4) says it can't open the ogg file.
I'm running windows XP pro SP1. Each time I open the directory (in which there is the ogg file) using the windows explorer it loads 400MB into my RAM (which is only 256MB, it gets up to 600 to 700MB.. )

Uhm... have you tried the latest version of oggmux?
Your version seems pretty old, the latest is 0.9.5.1.
You can also try reinstalling OggDS (0.9.9.5).

I use virtualdubmod to create ogm files, it never gave problems and works correctly with aotuvb2, megamix I and II.

Vital papers will demonstrate their vitality by spontaneously moving from where you left them to where you can't find them.

Reply #3
@Atlantis

I just tried it with Virtual Dub Mod and it worked fine. Thanks. Long live OGM!
I love the moderators.

Reply #4
Offtopic matroska zealot posts moved here.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #5
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=227676"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Off-topic as in trying to help users that are using unsupported software?

Reply #6
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=227676"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Off-topic as in trying to help users that are using unsupported software?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=227692"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Help ? I see only attempts to convince him to use different format rather than help with OGM in posts removed. If you want to demonstrate why MKV/AVI/whatever is superior to OGM, start a separate topic instead of trolling topics where people ask tech questions and want them answered.
This is my final warning. Next offtopic post here will result in admin actions.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #7
Uhm... have you tried the latest version of oggmux?
Your version seems pretty old, the latest is 0.9.5.1.
You can also try reinstalling OggDS (0.9.9.5).

I use virtualdubmod to create ogm files, it never gave problems and works correctly with aotuvb2, megamix I and II.

[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Actually, that is fine.  I would recommend 0.9.5.1 over 0.9.9.5.  The ones with a newer version number actually were from an older branch of OggDs.  These newer ones don't seem to work as well anyway.  What I would recommend you do for playback is to use [a href="http://sourceforge.net/projects/guliverkli/]MPC[/url] because it has a built in OGG splitter and then use CoreVorbis to playback the vorbis audio.  That way you can use CoreVorbis to play vorbis audio from other containers too without problems from OGGDs.  IIRC there was some problems with other containers ie matroska accepting the audio fast enough to decode from the directshow parser, this is one of the major things CoreVorbis fixes.  Although if you are just using OGM you don't have to bother.

I used to use vdubmod to create my OGM files ~ 2 years ago since then I haven't really used OGM much.  However, if you are sick of directshow/vfw muxing then you might want to try out this http://cyrius.bunkus.org/ogmtools.html these tools are based on Mosu's ogmtools and are usually highly recommended by people that use OGM as their container of choice.

Honestly though, your problems with the explorer taking up soo much memory sound more like directshow problems.  Sounds to me like it wants to preview the first frame in the avi to display in explorer.  Others have had the same problem http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=57637 and the fix http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18050 the fix is for AVI but it doesn't matter IIRC because shmedia.dll "gets file attributes, or even views thumbnails" in general I think.
EDIT: The problem is with the ogg file and not the OGM though isn't it?  Oh well, I think the fix should still be the same.

Reply #8
Since the other thread is closed (!) I'll reply here.

I think it's helping people to let them know OGM is not a good option for anything. Every ppl who worked on it left it for good. But users still have habits. And often we assume it's because they don't know there are better alternatives.

Now if you want to play admins, first move this thread in Digital A/V-Container Formats...

Reply #9
However, if you are sick of directshow/vfw muxing then you might want to try out this http://cyrius.bunkus.org/ogmtools.html these tools are based on Mosu's ogmtools and are usually highly recommended by people that use OGM as their container of choice.
Both major Matroska devs...

Cyrius more recently rewrote a lot of his OGM code because he didn't like code that bad floating around with his name on it.  If applicable, get the files from here.

Also, there are some DirectShow filters being developed by Illiminable that are supposed to have OGM reading built in.  I don't know if that part of the code works yet, but it is planned.  Note that this is reading only, not writing.  Xiph is rather opposed to the idea of people creating more OGMs.

Seriously though, you may want to consider moving to Matroska. It has much lower overhead for many configurations, it is actively supported, and it has existing specifications.  Whenever the majority of a format's developers recommend using a different format, it might be a good idea to switch.