Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Best lossless codec (Read 10827 times) previous topic - next topic

Best lossless codec

Reply #25
I love my music, but heck, if all my CDs get broken at some point, I'm pretty sure I'll manage to live with it. It's just music...

What I dont get it is why people are so paranoid with dvd-rs backups when they have the original pressed cd. For me, this represents a kind of TWO backups. Use only the ripped versions, if somehow you lose your dvdrs, you still have the originals and can rip them all again.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=256142"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I think part of the problem is that around here most folks (not including me) rip with EAC.  This can be a slow process if the CD's are not in pristine condition, or with certain drives.  They don't want to go through the effort again.

As far as the paranoia thing goes, I have to agree with Roberto.  There is a lot of insanity going around here.  A lot of worry about little things.

Best lossless codec

Reply #26
I for one would like to know where my tool Aenima and Undertow are. . along with tens if not hundreds of other CDs that went though my hands the past years.

I dont consider having a back up of all your music a "paranoia".

Best lossless codec

Reply #27

To me, the paranoia is not about backuping music, but how you do it.

This can be a slow process if the CD's are not in pristine condition, or with certain drives. They don't want to go through the effort again.

This is an interesting point, but I dont think every paranoid one here has all of his cds in a bad shape. And its just a backup, you still have the original. If a "disaster" occurs, just rip again. You ripped once, you can rip it  twice.

Someone may say "its better to prevent for a possible disaster" and I agree with that, but if you still own the originals, you ripped it in the past, you can rip them in a possible future if something bad happens. You dont need to be so crazy about your backups.(We're talking about pressed audio cd backups, right?)
Alguém pare o mundo que eu quero descer!!

Best lossless codec

Reply #28
To me, the paranoia is not about backuping music, but how you do it.

precisely. when i originally threw in the word paranoid, it was meant only semi-seriously. i'm not worried so much that my backups will become useless, just that in time i may need to transcode to a newer format should my original choice start heading the way of the betamax system. It wouldn't mean i lose my music, but it would be a HUGE pain in the arse. So if there's any choice i can make now that will prevent me having to do the encoding more than once, i'd like to get it right. I've already spent far too much of my life feeding CDs into my computer!

It's just music...

i'd have to disagree.....

though i have to say i'd still value my digital integrity more.

(there;s a terrible pun in there i didn't intend, sorry!  )

Best lossless codec

Reply #29
Flac: Possibility of hardware compatibility.[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

possibility?

[a href="http://flac.sourceforge.net/links.html#hardware]http://flac.sourceforge.net/links.html#hardware[/url]

Josh

Best lossless codec

Reply #30
I've tried FLAC 1.1.1a and WavPack 4.1 and WavPack 2 beta 3. Sticking with WavPack 2 beta 3 for now  ...
IBM T42 2378-FZU
Audigy 2 ZS Notebook
Shure E4 Earphones
foobar2000 0.9 b8

Best lossless codec

Reply #31
Flac: Possibility of hardware compatibility.[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

possibility?

[a href="http://flac.sourceforge.net/links.html#hardware]http://flac.sourceforge.net/links.html#hardware[/url]

Josh
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=256517"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

One of them, the iAudio M3, looks so nice I kind of wish I'd got one instead of the iPod...
wouldn't have had to re-encode all those Oggs either. Sh!t!

Best lossless codec

Reply #32
Someone may say "its better to prevent for a possible disaster" and I agree with that, but if you still own the originals, you ripped it in the past, you can rip them in a possible future if something bad happens. You dont need to be so crazy about your backups.(We're talking about pressed audio cd backups, right?)
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=256211"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
You ever spent 3 months ripping/encoding/tagging 1000 CD ? I did. I don't want to do it again, ever. That's why I use Wavpack, and why I have a backup. It's not a backup of my CDs, it's a backup of my work.

Best lossless codec

Reply #33
You ever spent 3 months ripping/encoding/tagging 1000 CD ? I did. I don't want to do it again, ever. That's why I use Wavpack, and why I have a backup. It's not a backup of my CDs, it's a backup of my work.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=257130"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Haha! Nicely put! 

An inconsistency in Windows Media Player's (which I barely use, all the more sickeningly) UI once led me to accidentally delete a load of MP3s/Oggs, many of which I had created myself from my vinyl collection, having painstakingly captured, cropped, dynamically-compressed, encoded and tagged each one. I've rarely experience the sick, sinking feeling I felt at that moment! 

I'm interested why this leads you to use WavPack over the other options though?

Best lossless codec

Reply #34
I'm interested why this leads you to use WavPack over the other options though?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=257182"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Over Flac, mostly the better compression and the Ape V.2 tags. Over Monkey's Audio, mostly the faster comp/decomp. Decompression speed is important for me because I transcode sometimes to MP3 to listen on a TViX. Wavpack isn't the best in every department (no codec is) but is IMHA a very nice compromise. Its developper is also very responsive, which can't be said of MA's developper. 

I don't care much about the future. My backup is on externals HDs, so if I decide to switch to another codec 2 years from now, I'll just transcode my original files and back-up again on the external HDs. But I won't have to trash 150 DVD and burn them again. That's the beauty of lossless music.