Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Advice needed (Read 3031 times) previous topic - next topic

Advice needed

Hi.

New here! Need some advice on player, encoding etc. A bit overwhelmed by the amount of information on the site, so I hope its ok just to ask!

Here is my current setup
Input: My CD collection + The occasional "iTunes+" album or song.
Player: iTunes 7.2/Foobar2000/iPod classic 80g
Output: RME Multiface
Speakers: Koss PortaPro / B&W 601

Player question:
I have listened to the same music in Foobar2000 and in iTunes. Calibrated at the same level, Foobar2000 seems to sound better. Can this be.. or am I fooling myself?

Rip / Encoding question:
For backing up I currently use EAC to rip to lossless WMA (Full quality "store", that includes tags + makes is easy to convert to AAC, by just dragging and dropping into iTunes). I listen to iTunes AAC encoded files, 256kbps and VBR setting.

* Is AAC 256 VBR a good choice? (Don't want to lose audible fidelity)
* Is the iTunes converter VBR setting really VBR?
* Is there a better AAC converter out there than iTunes/QuickTime?

Thank you for your attention!

Advice needed

Reply #1
* Is AAC 256 VBR a good choice? (Don't want to lose audible fidelity)

YMMV, but iTunes 256 VBR is generally regarded as transparent by many listeners.

* Is the iTunes converter VBR setting really VBR?

Yes, it is 

* Is there a better AAC converter out there than iTunes/QuickTime?

IIRC, there is no listening test available for such high bitrates. You may consider Nero Digital Audio codec worth a try.