Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Opus 1.2 is out! (Read 120800 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Opus 1.2 is out!

Reply #25
I've traditionally converted my files using LAME -V2 and I was thinking about moving to Opus @ 128 kbps VBR, hoping to keep the quality (and perhaps improving it), as well as saving some space.

Improving it could be true if you take the lossless file as a source. If you only have the MP3's after conversion, please don't transcode them. Quality will suffer, no matter what bitrate.

Reply #26
This is a bit annoying to post in a thread about Opus 1.2, but if you are comparing it against AAC at low bitrates, please use FhG encoder and HE-AACv2 mode. It allows encoding stereo material as is and supports 16 kbps.
Well, I do understand that this is an Opus thread, but... after reading Brand's post, I got curious, so I just had to test it.
However, in my own personal point of view, I still consider Opus as technologically superior to AAC in many if not all aspects.
I am not trying to make Opus sound bad (how could I? It doesn't even sound bad!) but I just pointed out my personal observations. I never meant to make anybody feel bad. :)

Reply #27
I was curious about your statement and I decided to open my converted opus file in Audacity: in fact, it says it's sampled at 48 kHz. I don't understand why MediaInfo says it's 44.1 kHz.
Apparently, the original sample rate is stored in the Opus file's header, and MediaInfo uses that instead of the correct "48kHz" rate.

The bottom line is that codecs just represent information in whatever way is most efficient despite what they pretend is the sampling rate. Your Opus file being listed as a 44.1 kHz file is just as correct as your HE-AACv2 file pretending to be 44.1 kHz stereo. The information essentially tells you what the input file was and what a "decode to file" operation will produce. That's about it. The rest is a lie -- for all codecs -- just get over it.

I think I got the idea: thank you for the explanation.

Reply #28
I've traditionally converted my files using LAME -V2 and I was thinking about moving to Opus @ 128 kbps VBR, hoping to keep the quality (and perhaps improving it), as well as saving some space.

Improving it could be true if you take the lossless file as a source. If you only have the MP3's after conversion, please don't transcode them. Quality will suffer, no matter what bitrate.

Don't worry: I won't transcode my MP3 files. I only convert my FLAC files to play them on my mobile phone. It seems Opus is the codec to use, so I'll stick to my plan and I'll use Opus @ 128 Kbps next time I need small audio files.

Reply #29
Congratulations on a new 1.2 release   ;D

• Music quality improvements in the 32-48 kb/s range
It's worth to mention that there were quality improvements at 64 kbps and somewhat higher too.

Reply #30
Thanks!

Why ther is no Win-32 build on the official download page?
🇺🇦 Glory to Ukraine!

Reply #31
From the demo page
https://people.xiph.org/~jm/opus/opus-1.2/comp_music_A53.png
Decoding of Opus 128k on Raspberry Pi 3 A53 (32 bits) takes ~33 MHz

I have tried on two A53 (64 bits) CPUs and 128k foobar2000's decoder required ~21-23 MHz (equally on both)
Maybe this difference is because of 32 and 64 bits or Raspberry Pi 3 is rather slow.

P.S. It's also interesting that an encoder requires ~50 MHz (x86)  for 1 channel speech 16 kHz @ 12 kbps.
But it takes less (~35 MHz)  for 2 channels, 48 kHz @ 128 kbps.

Means that SILK/Hybrid performs more analysis than CELT does (?)

Reply #32
Why ther is no Win-32 build on the official download page?
Is anyone still using Win32? I was under the impression everyone was on Win64 by now. Then again, I don't use Windows at all...

Reply #33
Decoding of Opus 128k on Raspberry Pi 3 A53 (32 bits) takes ~33 MHz

I have tried on two A53 (64 bits) CPUs and 128k foobar2000's decoder required ~21-23 MHz (equally on both)
Maybe this difference is because of 32 and 64 bits or Raspberry Pi 3 is rather slow.
At least some of this would be the difference between 32-bit and 64-bit. There could also be compiler differences, the exact song that was used, and other minor things on top.

P.S. It's also interesting that an encoder requires ~50 MHz (x86)  for 1 channel speech 16 kHz @ 12 kbps.
But it takes less (~35 MHz)  for 2 channels, 48 kHz @ 128 kbps.

Means that SILK/Hybrid performs more analysis than CELT does (?)
The way SILK is structured, decoding is very cheap, but encoding requires more searching. It's not so much analysis like what CELT does when going from complexity 0 to 10, as just optimizing the decisions to minimize rate-distortion.

Reply #34
Is anyone still using Win32? I was under the impression everyone was on Win64 by now. Then again, I don't use Windows at all...
Are you kidding? I bet there are still more users on 32-bit Windows than there are users on non-Windows desktop OSes. That's at least the data Steam HW survey shows.

Reply #35
Are you kidding? I bet there are still more users on 32-bit Windows than there are users on non-Windows desktop OSes. That's at least the data Steam HW survey shows.
The average opusenc user is probably a lot more likely to use 64-bit Windows or a non-Windows OS than the average Steam user.

32-bit Windows compiles should still be provided, though.

Reply #36

I do use 32 bit Windows in a VM for testing purposes (lower resource requirements), no current Mac version available at the moment :(

Reply #37
Have you checked Homebrew?

Reply #39
I suppose that both official builds (32- and 64-bit) require Vista and SSE2?

Reply #40
I suppose that both official builds (32- and 64-bit) require Vista and SSE2?
There are no 64-bit architectures without SSE2, so that's not an issue. As for the win32 builds, they should work on pretty much anything AFAIK (untested).

Reply #41
32-bit opus utilities have subsystem ver=6.0 which means that they require Vista+. If I change them manually to 5.1:
Code: [Select]
editbin.exe /subsystem:console,5.01 /osversion:5.1 *.exe
then they work in WinXP (tested on SP3)

Reply #42
opus 1.2.1 is here. 

Reply #43
Yeah, we had to do a 1.2.1 release to address an issue where the encoder would sometimes think the signal is low-passed at 12 kHz and not encode information above that. So it's better to upgrade to 1.2.1. The windows builds aren't on the website yet, but you can get Win64 builds from:
https://ci.appveyor.com/api/buildjobs/pd5jp1d0dv3ml1w7/artifacts/opus-tools.zip
and Win32 builds from:
https://ci.appveyor.com/api/buildjobs/0532d1twvfk2gwqm/artifacts/opus-tools.zip

Reply #44
Does anyone know if there is a 32-bit opus 1.2.1 build with flac input support available?

Reply #45
Attached is a generic 32-bit opusenc 1.2.1 with FLAC support that works on Windows XP and has no SSE instruction set requirement.

Reply #46
Attached is a generic 32-bit opusenc 1.2.1 with FLAC support that works on Windows XP and has no SSE instruction set requirement.
Great, thank you!
I'm using those builds on my Linux environment with wine in combination with foobar2000 or from the (bash) command line. The flac support is very handy for the latter.

Reply #47
Great, thank you!
I'm using those builds on my Linux environment with wine in combination with foobar2000 or from the (bash) command line. The flac support is very handy for the latter.

You can use a 64-bit Wine prefix (just rename .wine folder in your user home and run 'winecfg' - it should create a 64-bit prefix by default with a recent wine version... or specify the WINEPREFIX environment variable for another folder) and it should work fine. I'm using the binaries provided by Emre (thanks!) in my foobar2000 through wine without issue.