Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: 32-bit flac borked (Read 2479 times) previous topic - next topic

32-bit flac borked

hi i'm an audio software developer who loves foobar2000 for its tabbed playlist and support of just about every format, and easy conversion among them, except i'm running into a rather large problem, which is i have 15 gigs of 32bit floating point waves which i need to fit onto a 10 gig laptop hd soon. figured i'd use foobar to convert them all to FLAC, but it throws errors on 32bit files, it has no trouble with 16 or 24...i'd prefer not to dither or downsample...

is this because theres some "loss" when converting 32bit floating to 32bit integer? all i can find is this comment in their webCVS: FLAC__MAX_BITS_PER_SAMPLE is the limit of the FLAC format. However, the reference encoder/decoder is currently limited to 24 bits because of prevalent 32-bit math, so make sure and use this value

32-bit flac borked

Reply #1
i'm running into a rather large problem, which is i have 15 gigs of 32bit floating point waves which i need to fit onto a 10 gig laptop hd soon. figured i'd use foobar to convert them all to FLAC, but it throws errors on 32bit files, it has no trouble with 16 or 24...i'd prefer not to dither or downsample...

is this because theres some "loss" when converting 32bit floating to 32bit integer? all i can find is this comment in their webCVS: FLAC__MAX_BITS_PER_SAMPLE is the limit of the FLAC format. However, the reference encoder/decoder is currently limited to 24 bits because of prevalent 32-bit math, so make sure and use this value
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=226036"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm not sure how it relates to your question, but there are two 32-bit integer formats, one with zeros in the first byte and one with zeros in the last byte.  Have you taken that into consideration?
------- Rick -------
--------------------