Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: ESS9028Q2M AUDIOPHONICS DAC (Read 1534 times) previous topic - next topic

ESS9028Q2M AUDIOPHONICS DAC

Hello,

I would like to know which DSP's filter I must use in foobar2000, in order to make my dac sounding less agressive, and resonant to my hears ?

In fact I red that some people couldn't listen to ESS chips and they prefer Wolson or AK chips, because they found the ESS chips agressive, maybe because of Hyperstream ...

I didn't knew this kind of 'matters' could happenned before I choose this DAC with this ESS chip 9028Q2M in my case.

And I must say with other Audio interfaces I own with Wolfson's chip, or even With AK chip, I didn't have this matter of "agressive/resonant" sound .

My Audiophonics DAC is 32bit volume control, etc ... DSD etc... but the buttons on the dac doesn't work when I push on for the volume, I have to still try if these button are just for the headhone out ....

More, I red that on some other DAC with ESS base chips there are some "button" to set Filters etc ... it seems my dac , maybe does'nt have Filters or even button which allow to setup filters ...

That's why I'm thinking that I have myself to use "adequat" filters with this DAC.

but would you recommend to me a setup in foobar2000 which will allow me setup the sound and gettin a "non agressive and non resonant" sound .

THANKS.

Re: ESS9028Q2M AUDIOPHONICS DAC

Reply #1
Hello,

I would like to know which DSP's filter I must use in foobar2000, in order to make my dac sounding less agressive, and resonant to my hears ?

In fact I red that some people couldn't listen to ESS chips and they prefer Wolson or AK chips, because they found the ESS chips agressive, maybe because of Hyperstream ...

I didn't knew this kind of 'matters' could happenned before I choose this DAC with this ESS chip 9028Q2M in my case.

And I must say with other Audio interfaces I own with Wolfson's chip, or even With AK chip, I didn't have this matter of "agressive/resonant" sound .

My Audiophonics DAC is 32bit volume control, etc ... DSD etc... but the buttons on the dac doesn't work when I push on for the volume, I have to still try if these button are just for the headhone out ....

More, I red that on some other DAC with ESS base chips there are some "button" to set Filters etc ... it seems my dac , maybe does'nt have Filters or even button which allow to setup filters ...

That's why I'm thinking that I have myself to use "adequat" filters with this DAC.

but would you recommend to me a setup in foobar2000 which will allow me setup the sound and gettin a "non agressive and non resonant" sound .

THANKS.

Your problem is unlikely the DAC, but rather your speakers, the room, or just your lack of familiarity with new gear if there is any. The thing that is easiest to change and make an actual difference is frequency response, and if you are using a Windows PC either an equalizer plug for Foobar or a piece of free software called APO Equalizer are what you want.

If you want to check the Fr of your DAC there is freeware called Rightmark Audio Analyzer that will produce a pile of evidence about it. If you are interested in the same data about your speakers and room, then another piece of freeware called Room Eq Wizard is a good choice.