Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: ripping time (Read 5520 times) previous topic - next topic

ripping time

what is the best way to get a fast ripping time in eac? what settings would i need? i read somewhere on this forum that a guy could rip at speeds up to 32X, and the most i can get is 6x. i'd like to rip perfect, secure wavs, but does that mean it will have to take such a long time? can one rip up to 32X securly? here is the details of my drive (if you need more info, please just ask):

EAC extraction logfile from 7. June 2002, 17:46 for CD
Pink Floyd / Wish You Were Here.

Used drive  : SAMSUNG CD-ROM SC-148F  Adapter: 0  ID: 1
Read mode  : Secure with C2, accurate stream, NO disable cache
Read offset correction : 0
Overread into Lead-In and Lead-Out : No

Used output format : Internal WAV Routines
                    44.100 Hz; 16 Bit; Stereo

Other options      :
    Fill up missing offset samples with silence : Yes
    Delete leading and trailing silent blocks : Yes
    Installed external ASPI interface

Track  1
  Filename C:WINDOWSDesktopscottaudioinfotest\\01 - Shine on You Crazy Diamond (Part I-V).wav

Pre-gap length  0:00:02.00

Peak level 100.0 %
  Track quality 100.0 %
  Copy CRC 8F8DB9C8
  Copy OK

Track  2
  Filename C:WINDOWSDesktopscottaudioinfotest\\02 - Welcome to the Machine.wav

Pre-gap length  0:00:00.02

Peak level 100.0 %
  Track quality 100.0 %
  Copy CRC F3548A5D
  Copy OK

Track  3
  Filename C:WINDOWSDesktopscottaudioinfotest\\03 - Have a Cigar.wav

Peak level 100.0 %
  Track quality 100.0 %
  Copy CRC 91851C6A
  Copy OK

Track  4
  Filename C:WINDOWSDesktopscottaudioinfotest\\04 - Wish You Were Here.wav

Pre-gap length  0:00:00.03

Peak level 89.6 %
  Track quality 100.0 %
  Copy CRC 0773ECD0
  Copy OK

Track  5
  Filename C:WINDOWSDesktopscottaudioinfotest\\05 - Shine on You Crazy Diamond (Part VI-IX).wav

Peak level 94.2 %
  Track quality 100.0 %
  Copy CRC 2B9235EF
  Copy OK

No errors occured

End of status report

ripping time

Reply #1
You have to find out which EAC read options your drive supports, and set the values accordingly (cache, accurate stream). C2 is believed to be unsafe so disable that. Then you will get secure rips.

There's really nothing you can do to improve your read speeds, besides perhaps making sure Ultra DMA is enabled for your drive.

If your speeds are unacceptable, you'll have to change hardware.

EDIT: Forgot to answer one of your questions: No, I don't belive 32x secure read speeds are attainable. The guy getting those speeds were surely using burst mode. 6x isn't so bad either.

ripping time

Reply #2
really? i had always thought c2 error checking was prefered.

ripping time

Reply #3
There was a lengthy discussion recently about C2 error correction in this thread.

ripping time

Reply #4
it's not preferable because it's extremly hard figuring out if your drive supports it.
if it doesn't you'll get bad rips.

ripping time

Reply #5
Originally posted by JensRex
EDIT: Forgot to answer one of your questions: No, I don't belive 32x secure read speeds are attainable. The guy getting those speeds were surely using burst mode. 6x isn't so bad either.

It's possible to get 32x rips that are secure. I could get them by downgrading my Plextor's firmware to version that doesn't cache. Actually I tried it couple of days ago, speed was sweet, 32x-33x, but that old firmware had sometimes problems recognizing scratched discs so I had to flash latest firmware back.

ripping time

Reply #6
Case,

Just wondering what Plextor that was, i have a 12/10/32A and recently jowngraded from firmwaer 2.02 to 1.5 so the drive won't cache anymore, my read speed went from about 8x to about 9.5x. Not much of an improvment but more reliable ripping without cache.

I have yet to come across any probs with the earlier firmware (touch wood) but the scratched disk reading was listed in one of the changelogs.

Cheers,

Kristian

ripping time

Reply #7
I also have that problem. I have a TEAC CD-W54E. 4/4/32. I can rip in burst mode at 8x. This is kind of slow for me.

ripping time

Reply #8
Originally posted by kritip
Just wondering what Plextor that was, i have a 12/10/32A and recently jowngraded from firmwaer 2.02 to 1.5 so the drive won't cache anymore, my read speed went from about 8x to about 9.5x. Not much of an improvment but more reliable ripping without cache.

Are you sure your firmware versions are those mentioned? Latest firmware available from Plextor is 1.09, last that didn't cache is 1.05 (1.07 according to changelog, but that cached when I tested it).
Anyway, I have that Plextor too. When you enable C2 using in EAC the speed will jump to 32x on non-scratched discs. When C2 detects errors the speed will go down.

ripping time

Reply #9
Yes i'm sorry, the latest was 1.09, i got confused with the latest for my DVD which is 2.02.

I downgraded from 1.09 to 1.05, because as you stated 1.07 does cache.

Even with C2 in use on brand new disks, i seem to get little, ie. 0.5x to no speed increase with or without C2 enabled!!   

I new it should give me a speed increase but for some reason it doesn't.  Is it safe to use on this drive anyway?  I've tried testing scratched disks and only ones with actual scratches through the disk :eek:  , did it ever report C2 errors!!

Cheers,

Kristian

ripping time

Reply #10
Originally posted by kritip
Even with C2 in use on brand new disks, i seem to get little, ie. 0.5x to no speed increase with or without C2 enabled!!

Did you remove the checkmark for drive caches? And is DMA enabled for your drive?

Is it safe to use on this drive anyway?  I've tried testing scratched disks and only ones with actual scratches through the disk :eek:   , did it ever report C2 errors!!

Unless your drive is very different from mine it is. I have ripped dozens of scratched CDs with C2 enabled and EAC has always detected errors if they have occurred. But this has been done with new firmwares, so it might be possible that C2 is not working as well in old 1.05 firmware.

ripping time

Reply #11
yes DMA is enabled and i told it the drive doesnt cache and explicitly told it to use C2 information,strange!

Don't worry about it though, the spedd i get about 9x is a lot better than most so i guess i best think myself lucky! admitidly faster is better though.

Cheers anyway,

Kristian

ripping time

Reply #12
I  also have the PlexWriter 12/10/32A

firmware: 1.09
DMA: disabled

EAC Drive Options:
  Drive Caches Audio Data: Enabled
  Drive Is Capable Of Retrieving C2 Error Informations: Enabled
  Use C2 Error Information For Error Correction: Disabled

Also, the drive read command autodetects as 'Read Command D8'.  Is this correct for this drive?

With these settings the drive usually rips between 6x and 8x.

I then enabled DMA, disabled 'Caches Audio Data', Enabled 'Use C2 Error Information' and ripping speed varied between 12x and 25x.

These settings will give me secure rips?  Or do I also need to downgrade the firmware to 1.05?

ripping time

Reply #13
Originally posted by rocketsauce
Also, the drive read command autodetects as 'Read Command D8'.  Is this correct for this drive?

No. The D8 is used by SCSI version. It works with IDE Plextor but doesn't give bit-identical results compared to original. Use MMC instead.

With these settings the drive usually rips between 6x and 8x.

I have DMA enabled and my drive is jumpered to Ultra DMA mode (jumper marked "reserved" at the back of drive). My normal speeds are 6x-13x.

I then enabled DMA, disabled 'Caches Audio Data', Enabled 'Use C2 Error Information' and ripping speed varied between 12x and 25x.

These settings will give me secure rips?  Or do I also need to downgrade the firmware to 1.05?

No, your rips won't be secure. Plextor caches with new firmwares so almost all errors will be left undetected when you disable cache clearing. Unless you downgrade to 1.05 you need to keep cache check marked.

ripping time

Reply #14
Originally posted by Case

I have DMA enabled and my drive is jumpered to Ultra DMA mode (jumper marked "reserved" at the back of drive). My normal speeds are 6x-13x.

Really??  Any problems with using this "undocumented feature"?  I have one of these..

ripping time

Reply #15
Originally posted by JonPike
Any problems with using this "undocumented feature"?  I have one of these..

No problems at all.

ripping time

Reply #16

No problems at all.

Couple of thoughts:

1. I know what I'll do when I get off work this afternoon
2. Why didn't I know this earlier  (and why isn't this the default setting for the drive...)  I love this drive, but the PIO has been an annoyance for some time!

Also:

No. The D8 is used by SCSI version. It works with IDE Plextor but doesn't give bit-identical results compared to original. Use MMC instead.

I've been using D8 with the IDE version for some time, and my reads have always been bit-identical (if I read the disk with the Plextor and verify it in my DVD drive it always gives the same checksums)... But I guess I'll switch to MMC for safety's sake

ripping time

Reply #17
Originally posted by qristus
I've been using D8 with the IDE version for some time, and my reads have always been bit-identical (if I read the disk with the Plextor and verify it in my DVD drive it always gives the same checksums)... But I guess I'll switch to MMC for safety's sake

Hmm.... I just extracted a track as a test in D8 mode with latest EAC and the results is bit-identical with original and MMC rip. I even downloaded 0.9pb11 and tested with it and the result was same. Either I have been very stupid when I originally tested this or latest firmware has changed something.