Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: freedb.org to close (Read 28666 times) previous topic - next topic

freedb.org to close

Magix the company which took over freedb.org has decided to close down the service.

dBpoweramp have created a freedb server which can be used when freedb shuts down:

freedb.dbpoweramp.com

Note currently only http is supported

Re: freedb.org to close

Reply #1
Obviated quite a while ago by MusicBrainz, but I rather liked having more than one option.  Monocultures are dangerous.

Anyone want to bet this has to do with the private equity firm that took a majority stake in Magix in 2018?

Reply #2
I have offered to take over the running and hosting, but Magix have not replied (1 week)...

I thought at the time of the take over a number of years back that it was a strange matchup between the two offerings. Credit is due to them running the system for a number of years, however if as you say it was taken over and the bean counters now are in charge, Magix will go down as the company which killed freedb, not the best to be known as.

Reply #4
Is this the right company ? https://www.facebook.com/MAGIX/
Yes.

I have offered to take over the running and hosting
WOW, that would be great!

, but Magix have not replied (1 week)…
Probably too many lawyers involved.    A CEO of a small company once told me, "The lawyers always say no, because there is no risk in saying no".   :D   But in that case, I think he ignored the lawyer and went-ahead anyway.

Reply #5
I have offered to take over the running and hosting, but Magix have not replied (1 week)...

Really great if you could take over Spoon, I know freedb would be safe in your hands.

It would be such a waste if it just died with all its metadata, or if it was tossed around for profit like CDDB/Gracenote.

Hope they get back to you soon.

Reply #6
It is kind of funny, when you read on the site that the service will be shut down on 31 March 2020 and below in the news section a head line reads: "Continuation of the free database guaranteed"

Reply #7
But....   It's open source so is the problem the "freedb.org" domain ownership?

Reply #8
And the entire database.

Reply #10
Aha, I wasn't aware it was available for download.

Reply #12
Can freedb.org database operate offline
Sure, you just need to run your own local freedb server. But, of course, you wouldn't get any tags for newer releases.
foobar2000 needs surely an adjustment then.
Only the relevant setting for the freedb server in the preferences needs to be changed.

Reply #13
I use DBPowerAmp CD Ripper which uses freedb. How will this affect me?

Reply #14
We can create a newfreedb.org site and update the programs. It would be best if Magix had the decency to pass the service on, rather than kill it. They will be known forever as the company which killed freedb.

Time to email them and let them know!

Reply #15
Thanks for doing this!

Reply #16
dBpoweramp have created a freedb server which can be used when freedb shuts down:

freedb.dbpoweramp.com

Note currently only http is supported

Reply #17
I too, offered to try to take over when I saw the news. I also got no response... Maybe we can start a federated network of freedb providers, and we could share updates with one another.

Reply #18
Perhaps try facebook, I've gotten several canned responses, but evidently someone is reading posts to their page. http://www.facebook.com/MAGIX/
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?  ;~)

Reply #19
Ouch, reading the posts on their FB page, a train wreck...

Many people post there "This once great company appears to no longer be what it once was because I sent them an email and was told they would not answer it. Magix it appears have lost their Magic.". What chance does freedb have in those hands?

I have seen it before in other companies,  the bean counters get in, they only count the bottom line, not the huge line of unsatisfied customers, soon the whole company is a write off.

<joke> Want to see some Magix? freedb: now you see it, now you do not!

Reply #20
Oh, Wikipedia writes about Magix: "In May 2018, private equity firm Capiton announced that it had acquired a majority stake in Magix Software GmbH together with its Management.[3]"

This is usually not a good sign for a small or medium company.

Reply #23
Slashdot has noticed https://developers.slashdot.org/story/20/03/02/2245216/freedborg-is-shutting-down

I think the reason why freedb is being closed are very clear, it is a service which is no direct monetary value for Magix or its investors. And they had no idea how to change that or what to do with it.

then why acquired a majority stake in Magix in the first place?
did you meant to imply that private equity firm Capiton is st*d to spend the money not knowing how to recoup more money?

Reply #24
We can download the database and use Freedb Easy Navigator offline. Also there is a version of EAC that supports local database, I can´t remember which one.