Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: v1.6.7 beta 17: Changing hardware buffer of exclusive output causes BSoD (Read 2806 times) previous topic - next topic

v1.6.7 beta 17: Changing hardware buffer of exclusive output causes BSoD

environment:
  • Win 10 Pro 64bit 21H1 (19043.1151)
  • Sound Blaster ZxR (driver version: 6.0.102.75)
  • foobar 2000 1.6.7 beta 17
  • WASAPI exclusive output

To enable event mode, I checked Preferences -> Advanced -> Playback -> [Exclusive output overrides] and [Use event].
Playback failed because of "Unrecoverable playback error: Unsupported buffer size", so I tried to change the buffer size by changing Preferences -> Advanced -> Playback -> [Hardware buffer in milliseconds].
(as far as I remember, value 0 is meant "system default" in beta 16, but is not in beta 17)

First, I set the hardware buffer size to 1000 in reference to the value of buffer length in Preferences -> Playback -> Output section.
Starting the playback of 16/44.1 ALAC file upconverted to 24/96 by SoX Resampler DSP, Windows died (BSoD: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION, portcls.sys).
16/44.1 ALAC without DSP, 24/96 ALAC, 24/96 or 24/192 FLAC also caused BSoD.
Reducing the hardware buffer size to 700 or less (100, 200, ... ,700), playback succeeded with any type of music files.

Here is the minidump view by BlueScreenView:
Code: [Select]
Bug Check String			Bug Check Code	Parameter 1			Parameter 2		Parameter 3			Parameter 4			Caused By Driver	Caused By Address
SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION 0x0000003b 00000000`c0000005 fffff802`32d02cfe fffff402`8a7be680 00000000`00000000 portcls.sys portcls.sys+32cfe

Filename Address In Stack From Address To Address Size Time Stamp Time String
ntoskrnl.exe ntoskrnl.exe+408e69 fffff801`65c00000 fffff801`66c46000 0x01046000 0x553df94c 2015/04/27 17:54:36
portcls.sys portcls.sys+32cfe fffff802`32cd0000 fffff802`32d36000 0x00066000 0x5373c5a4 2014/05/15 04:36:04
Parameter 2 and 3, "From Address" and "To Address" are different between each minidumps, however, "Bug Check String", "Code", Parameter 1 and 4, "Caused By Driver", "Caused By Address", "Filename" and "Address In Stack" are always same.

Is this a system-specific (Sound Blaster ZxR) problem? or fb2k bug?

Re: v1.6.7 beta 17: Changing hardware buffer of exclusive output causes BSoD

Reply #1
Hint: It's your sound drivers.

Reply #2
It's your sound card's drivers.  I tried it out and had no crashes or BSODs.  Some of those cards themselves are not the problem hardware wise but the amount of software only features in terms of bloat shoved into those drivers can result in possible stability problems.

Reply #3
Creative is infamous when it comes to drivers for anything but their generic USB devices.

Reply #4
Do the default settings (overrides unchecked) work or not?
Please don't change these settings unless the defaults fail.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #5
FWIW, my Soundblaster Z (not ZxR) works fine with default settings in exclusive mode. All my music is 16/44.1 though.

Exact same OS build/driver version as OP.

Reply #6
Do the default settings (overrides unchecked) work or not?
Default settings works fine.

I want to use event mode because push mode of fb2k 1.6.6 and older with WASAPI output component sometimes causes broken playback.
Is it possible to only enable event and not change hardware buffer? In other words, uncheck overrides and check "Use event" is meaningful or meaningless?

Reply #7
You ARE USING EVENT MODE with the defaults (overrides unchecked).
Please use defaults.
Thanks.

Reply #8
You ARE USING EVENT MODE with the defaults (overrides unchecked).
Please use defaults.
Thanks.
Thanks. So, what does "Use event" mean?

Reply #9
If "overrides" checkbox is off, the rest of settings are disregarded / known good values are detected automatically.
"Use event" is equivalent to toggling of event/push modes in the old WASAPI plug-in.

Again, you should NOT need these settings.
If defaults (overrides off) fail, please report full device name and a combo of settings that works properly on it.

Reply #10
If "overrides" checkbox is off, the rest of settings are disregarded / known good values are detected automatically.
"Use event" is equivalent to toggling of event/push modes in the old WASAPI plug-in.

Again, you should NOT need these settings.
If defaults (overrides off) fail, please report full device name and a combo of settings that works properly on it.
Thanks again. Now default settings work fine without any problems.