Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: v1.6.7 beta 16: exclusive-mode output unrecoverable playback error with 352.8kHz (Read 2199 times) previous topic - next topic

v1.6.7 beta 16: exclusive-mode output unrecoverable playback error with 352.8kHz

Perhaps this is still being worked on, but I couldn't find anything about it.

Problem: when playing a file with 352.8 kHz samplerate with the new built-in exclusive-mode output, I get the following error:
Code: [Select]
Unrecoverable playback error: Unsupported stream format: 352800 Hz / 32-bit / 2 channels (0x3)

It makes no difference if I set output format to 24 bits. Playing back this samplerate with the old WASAPI plugin used to work fine, and the display on the DAC confirmed it. Still works fine through ASIO. Probably the same would happen with 384kHz, but I don't have a test file for that.

Using latest beta of 1.6.7, beta 16, but have also tried with beta 13. Same thing happens.
USB DAC: Grace Design m9xx. Can confirm by the way that this device also supports playing back a 32-bit float WavPack file via the new exclusive-mode output.

Properly supporting 352.8 kHz files is very important for playing back WavPack DSD files. When a real DSD output is not available, the WavPack decoder automatically decodes the DSD file to 352.8 kHz PCM.
I have tried first converting the WavPack DSD file to a 352.8 kHz PCM flac file, but the problem is the same. Therefore we can be sure the problem has nothing to do with the WavPack decoding / conversion step. If needed I can provide DSD or PCM test files.

Re: v1.6.7 beta 16: exclusive-mode output unrecoverable playback error with 352.8kHz

Reply #1
Problem persists with 1.6.7 beta 17.

Re: v1.6.7 beta 16: exclusive-mode output unrecoverable playback error with 352.8kHz

Reply #3
Works For Me

Old version attempted initializing playback with the intended specs without asking if the format is supported - new version asks politely first to negotiate the format, which should be all the same unless your driver is broken.

I guess I must have encountered this behavior before, hence the old version did what it did.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #4
Problem persists with 1.6.7 beta 17.
same here. Had to revert to beta 2.
Interestingly, for me beta 2 also works. I tried from there to go up every beta version, and beta 7 is the first one that breaks it. Up until beta 6 352.8 kHz output works normally with XMOS drivers. The changelog says at beta 7 'Rewritten exclusive-mode WASAPI output from scratch.' so I guess there the problem must be.

Works For Me

Old version attempted initializing playback with the intended specs without asking if the format is supported - new version asks politely first to negotiate the format, which should be all the same unless your driver is broken.

I guess I must have encountered this behavior before, hence the old version did what it did.
Thanks for the advice. I do have the XMOS driver (version 4.11.0, the latest Grace Design offers for my device) installed, because this makes it possible to use ASIO.
I have tried uninstalling the XMOS drivers, falling back to the Windows default USB Audio 2.0 Class drivers, and indeed, then playing 352.8 kHz works without problems again! So apparently, even though the device supports higher-than-192-kHz playback, the driver probably has some leftover bits somewhere saying that it doesn't.

The XMOS USB chip is ubiquitous: many many USB DACs use it. While the devices work well with the default Windows driver, ASIO is not supported in that case. Perhaps it doesn't have to be if WASAPI works flawlessly; nonetheless I think many users like to have the possibility to use both WASAPI and ASIO, for example for DSD playback with the external SACD plugin.
When the final version of 1.6.7 comes out, do you intend to still allow the old WASAPI plugin to be used? Because that one allows higher-than-192-kHz playback AND the user's choice of WASAPI or ASIO. The current 1.6.7, beta 7 and later, do not: the user must choose between ASIO support with the XMOS driver, OR fully functional WASAPI support with the default Windows driver.
I guess the real question is: do you intend to implement the same workaround in the final 1.6.7 as currently exists in the old WASAPI plugin? Or do you intend to break the XMOS devices by leaving the workaround out of the final version?

Reply #5
I'll address this for 1.6.7 final.
Also, I'll allow old WASAPI plug-in to work without annoying popups, in case there are more issues like this.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #6
Sounds great. A big sincere THANK YOU for all your work on this awesome program!

Reply #7
I'll address this for 1.6.7 final.
Also, I'll allow old WASAPI plug-in to work without annoying popups, in case there are more issues like this.
Unfortunately, still the same problem in the 1.6.7 final:
Unrecoverable playback error: Unsupported stream format: 88200 Hz / 24-bit / 8 channels (0xFF)
using XMOS