Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Monkey's Audio Problem With Insane Compression (Read 3240 times) previous topic - next topic

Monkey's Audio Problem With Insane Compression

Hi there,

I'm the author of Monkey's Audio.

This file compressed with Insane mode fails in Foobar2000:
File link

It plays fine in apps using the official SDK and also verifies fine in Monkey's Audio.

I think there must be a problem with the Foobar decoder (since it uses its own code).

Hopefully you can have a look.  Thanks!

Re: Monkey's Audio Problem With Insane Compression

Reply #1
I updated my post to make the link hopefully work (instead of requiring copy and paste).

Reply #2
Another approach would be to simply switch to the official SDK.  It builds on all platforms (JRiver does this).

Then you update any time I update the SDK and it should be simple.

Reply #4
I'm testing 1.6.6 and see this:

Decoding failure at 0:51.829 (Unsupported format or corrupted file):
"C:\Temporary\Insane APE\Leo River - Runaway.ape"

I haven't done any independent APE component updating.

Reply #5
I'm testing 1.6.6 and see this:

Decoding failure at 0:51.829 (Unsupported format or corrupted file):
"C:\Temporary\Insane APE\Leo River - Runaway.ape"
Yes, you will see this on 1.6.6 if you are using the 2.3.1 version of the Monkey's Audio plugin foo_input_monkey.  If you change to the 2.4 version of the plugin at the link I posted above, the file will play without errors/failures.

Reply #7
The official SDK should perform pretty similar in 32-bit and 64-bit.

If a Foobar developer wants to contact me, I'm mail at monkeysaudio dot com.

I can help switching to the official SDK, or possibly updating the system you're using.

Thanks.

Reply #8
The player is using the official SDK, modified.

Reply #9
Thanks.

I'm just here because that file I posted isn't playing with the released Foobar.

I'm hoping a fix is slated, or offering to help.

Again, I'm mail at monkeysaudio dot com.

Thanks a lot for the great software.

Reply #10
I'm just here because that file I posted isn't playing with the released Foobar.
Maybe I'm missing something, but as I explained above, the file you posted DOES indeed play in Foobar 1.6.6, when the 2.4 version of the Monkey's Audio plugin is installed.  Foobar requires a plugin to play APE, it's not baked in.

Reply #11
Running v1.6.7 beta 6 here with Monkey's Audio Decoder v2.4 and the file u posted plays fine. As sveakul said, so is the seek slow.

EDIT :
After removing 'Monkey's Audio Decoder' plugin and enabling decoding for APE file in 'FFmpeg Decoder Wrapper 0.6' so does it still play fine and the seek is a bit better.
Using a Full Git FFmpeg that's like a week old with the 'FFmpeg Decoder Wrapper'.

Reply #12
Ffmpeg doesn't support multichannel APE by the way.

Reply #13
No playback from 0:51 to 1:18 in official 3.99 exe or plugins. It's not a good format if it forces to update software for basic 16-bit stereo playback. I recall that compatibility was dropped in the past too.

MPV/lavf plays with a short noise burst at 1:18, at the end of the problematic section. Curiously, seeking is quick. Apparently it doesn't fill the buffer before starting playback.

Reply #14
Foobar 1.6.6 with foo_input_monkey 2.4 plays through the 0:51 to 1:18 problem area just fine (unlike version 2.3.1 of the plugin).

Not sure what you mean by "official 3.99 exe"?

Reply #15
Hey I just noticed that when you download from the components page for the Monkeys Audio Decoder you download 2.3, you have to click on the versions link to get to 2.4.  Can this be fixed?

Reply #17
Yes, it's true. The author is highly concerned when foo_benchmark results show that a file decodes at only 250-300x realtime instead of the 600+x figure it used to.

Reply #18
I'm slow to reply, but thanks for the report.  I can confirm that 32-bit is unexpectedly slower than 64-bit.  I switched a lot of variables to int64 to support 32-bit data months back, but I'll try to speed 32-bit back up in a coming build.  Thanks again  :)

Reply #19
Robert Kausch is helping me bring the 32-bit speed back up.  Hopefully there will be a release (and SDK) in a few days.  I'll post here once we're done.  Thanks again.

Reply #20
Just release a much faster version 7.0.

The SDK is here:
https://monkeysaudio.com/developers.html

A huge thanks to Robert Kausch because he really helped work magic.

Thanks again for bringing this to my attention.

Reply #23
Fixed
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #24
Just a note that you should probably grab the latest again because there has been some back and forth as we've been tuning his work.  Should all be great in 7.02 now.  Thanks a lot for the support!