Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: "APS" or "aps"? (Read 5186 times) previous topic - next topic

"APS" or "aps"?

LAMEst question ever on HA?  Maybe.  But this is one of those little things that has been bugging me for quite some time now.  Is it officially caps or not caps?  Does it matter?

Honestly, I'll be shocked if this hasn't been covered before.
"The way we see our world is better than yours."

"APS" or "aps"?

Reply #1
As you can read in the List of recommended LAME settings, --alt-preset standard is no longer there.
The current equivalent is -V 2 or  -V 2 --vbr-new

"APS" or "aps"?

Reply #2
Aaaaand we've officially run out of things to talk about.

"APS" or "aps"?

Reply #3
As you can read in the List of recommended LAME settings, --alt-preset standard is no longer there.
The current equivalent is -V 2 or  -V 2 --vbr-new

HAH!  Thanks, but I knew that.  I was just satisfying my curiosity about the abbreviation.  You know some of us still have directories with APS in the name. 

"APS" or "aps"?

Reply #4
I just refer to it as -Vx (--vbr-new) now, since alt is deprecated, and PS doesn't sound so great.

"APS" or "aps"?

Reply #5
--alt-preset standard is no longer there.

my command prompt hasn't received this news yet

"APS" or "aps"?

Reply #6
It's still there, but it's deprecated, and mapped to regular presets now.

"APS" or "aps"?

Reply #7
LOL.  I think I must have not conveyed the point of my question well enough.  I know about the new VBR system, and I do use 3.97 beta 2.

I'm just curious whether APS in lowercase or uppercase letters was ever considered standard for communication purposes.  Does that make sense?  I don't actually use "--alt-preset standard" anymore.

"APS" or "aps"?

Reply #8
I don't actually use "--alt-preset standard" anymore.

Sadly cd ripping apps still use the old --preset names when using lame_enc.dll.

And to answer the question I always thought of it as APS, but didn't really give a hoot if someone posted it in caps or lowercase. When it was the --preset names not to long ago I always tagged my mp3's with like this: EAC (SM)/LAME 3.9x (APS)

"APS" or "aps"?

Reply #9
Sadly enough, I know I've thought about this at some time or another. It's an acronym, so go with APS.

"APS" or "aps"?

Reply #10
It's not an acronym; it's an initialism.

"APS" or "aps"?

Reply #11
It's not an acronym; it's an initialism.

Wow.  Thanks, NeoRenegade.  Now I just learned something else.

And for the record, I think I'm going with "APS".