Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Global Hotkey Keyboard Shortcut isn't Global (YouTube takes precedent) (Read 1285 times) previous topic - next topic

Global Hotkey Keyboard Shortcut isn't Global (YouTube takes precedent)

Hi all

This has been bugging me a for a while, and today is the day I do something about it!

I've got a multimedia keyboard and the play button is assigned to Play/Pause in Foobar, with Global Hotkey selected.   It works great except for if I have a YouTube video open but paused in my browser.  When that's the case, even with FB as the active window, the Play/Pause button still actions in YouTube. 

Is there a remedy for this? 

Many thanks

Re: Global Hotkey Keyboard Shortcut isn't Global (YouTube takes precedent)

Reply #1
It's the OS, and how it handles multimedia keys. Yes, the OS thinks that the most recent media playback app you've used should take control of the media keys.

Reply #2
Which browser are you using? You can probably disable media keys in the browser altogether if you like.

Reply #3
I use Chrome and following the instructions to change the flag - as per the article you link to - worked a treat. 

All sorted and many thanks to you both for the help. 

Bit off topic but kind of related... I would love it if I could launch Foobar with my play button.  IE - Foobar is closed completely, I press play, and it opens the program and starts playing music.  Is that possible?  If it has to be a combination of keys that could work too, although just play would be the ideal... 

Thanks again

Reply #4
I would love it if I could launch Foobar with my play button. 
Not exactly as simple, but Windows logo key +1 will launch the leftmost app on the taskbar, Winkey+2 the next etc. So if you fb2k to the left ...

Reply #5
I would love it if I could launch Foobar with my play button. 
Not exactly as simple, but Windows logo key +1 will launch the leftmost app on the taskbar, Winkey+2 the next etc. So if you fb2k to the left ...

Thanks for the tip.  Seems that in your suggestion I have to have Foobar permanently open / on the taskbar, which I'd rather not.   But thanks all the same.

The best solution I have found so far is to right click the shortcut "properties" and enter a shortcut into the "Shortcut Key" field.   Works well except for the following:

- It won't allow me to choose the MM Play button as the shortcut.  In fact it seems reasonably fussy as to what it will allow, with most options have to be CTRL - ALT prefixed.  It will however let me choose F4, which on my keyboard has a nice little quaver picture on it. 

- If I do it on the properties of the quick launch shortcut it doesn't work.   It will only work when I assign the key via a desktop  shortcut.  Don't usually have a desktop shortcut as I use quick launch.  But it's not biggie to add one. 

If anyone knows how I can get closer to my anally retentive shortcut goal then please let me know.  Otherwise what I've managed to set up for now will do nicely. 

Cheers

Reply #6
@MaxDread  if you want to launch foobar with your play button (and many other things) then look here  https://atnsoft.com/keymanager/
It has many many features. Unfortunately it's not free (but maybe there is another free alternative to this program)