Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Are non-caching drives still made? (Read 63909 times) previous topic - next topic

Are non-caching drives still made?

Reply #25
So, just so I'm sure as to the settings I should I use, I need:

1) use the -usefua switch
2) DO NOT check drive caches audio

Is that correct?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=347193"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes. However, the reports I've read indicated that EAC detects the drive as non-caching with the -usefua switch, so maybe you should investigate if it really works as it should with the Premium if EAC keeps telling you the drive DOES cache audio.
Proverb for Paranoids: "If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers."
-T. Pynchon (Gravity's Rainbow)

Reply #26
So, just so I'm sure as to the settings I should I use, I need:

1) use the -usefua switch
2) DO NOT check drive caches audio

Is that correct?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=347193"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes, and I'd also check the "Drive is capable of retrieving C2 error information" option.

BTW: when using the -usefua option EAC detected both my PX-712A and PX-W2410A as non caching drives. I just bought a Premium but have not yet installed it. I'll let u know what it will say about it ASAP...

Sergio
Sergio
M-Audio Delta AP + Revox B150 + (JBL 4301B | Sennheiser Amperior | Sennheiser HD598)

Reply #27
Thanks Sergio, I'd appreciate that.

Reply #28
@ponchorage:

My Plextor Premium (TLA# 0005 with firmware 1.06) is recognized as a *NON* caching drive by EAC 0.95b3 invoked with the -usefua option

Bear in mind that to make a quick test I connected it to my system through an USB-IDE adapter. Anyway I don't think that can make a difference.

Cheers!

Sergio

P.S.: EAC was using native Win32 interface

Edit: corrected firmware version from 1.14 to 1.06 (see below...)
Sergio
M-Audio Delta AP + Revox B150 + (JBL 4301B | Sennheiser Amperior | Sennheiser HD598)

Reply #29
The latest firmware I could find on the Plextor site is 1.06! I wonder why your's has 1.14. How do you find the TLA of the drive?

Reply #30
The latest firmware I could find on the Plextor site is 1.06! I wonder why your's has 1.14. How do you find the TLA of the drive?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=347291"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

OOOOOOOOOOOPS!    You're right I made a mistake and in PlexTools I've read the firmware version for my old PX-40TS. Give me few minutes and I'll tell you the correct version. Sorry!

TLA# is stamped on a label on the top of the drive. Easy to read for me as I've not yet mounted it inside my PC! 

Sergio
Sergio

Reply #31
Again sorry about my mistake. Yes, it is 1.06, the latest available.

Sergio
Sergio

Reply #32
Well, I just upgraded to the latest firmware and EAC is still telling me that the drive caches audio when I use the FUA command and tell EAC to test the drive's features.

Let me make sure I'm doing this correctly:

I start eac from the command line with the following command:

eac.exe -usefua

Is that right? Then I just test the drive's features.

Reply #33
Acutally I created a modified shortcut with the following in it:

"C:\Program Files\Exact Audio Copy 095b3\EAC.exe" -usefua

but I don't see why it shoudn't work from the command line.

Is your EAC 0.95b3?

Edit: and are you using native Win32 or an ASPI driver?
Sergio

Reply #34
I'm using EAC 0.95b3 with an external ASPI interface: the Nero dll is in the EAC folder. I'll try the win32 driver.

Reply #35
I'm using EAC 0.95b3 with an external ASPI interface: the Nero dll is in the EAC folder. I'll try the win32 driver.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=347301"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I think this can make the difference...
Sergio

Reply #36
no difference, still says Caching: Yes

argggghhhh!

edit: wait! I need to restart EAC for changes to make effect

Reply #37
no difference, still says Caching: Yes

argggghhhh!
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=347303"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

... sending you a PM

Edit:  Yes, you have to restart it! Time to sleep...    I hope everything will be ok, now...  See you tomorrow, bye!
Sergio

Reply #38
Restarted EAC and it still says Caching: Yes.

I'm going to try reinstalling EAC and removing the registry keys, too.

Anybody else have a Plextor Premium they can try this on?

Reply #39

I'm going to try reinstalling EAC and removing the registry keys, too.

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=347313"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes, I behaves the same here. Latest firmware.

Reply #40
Behaves the same as ...?

Reply #41
'Detect read features' says my Plextor Premium caches with the -usefua switch. But regardless it does seme to work in some way atleast. With C2 unchecked it ripped a bit slower than without usefua, with C2 checked it ripped wuite faster. 'Drive caches...' box was unchecked, of course.

Reply #42
It seems that the different results we got depends on the CD we used to perform the test.

I made my initial tests using the EAC "Offset Test CD", the one you can create from the "Writer" submenu of EAC Drive configuration. With that CD I can confirm that I get a "Caching: No" result if I start EAC with the -usefua option and a "Caching: Yes" if I start it without -usefua.

But then I tried with a different CD (a normal pressed Audio-CD) and I got "Caching: Yes" as you guys get even with the -usefua option turned on.

I don't know what to say... 

Sergio
Sergio

Reply #43
EACs cache detecting is known not to be very accurate.

Reply #44
I don't understand the effect of this switch. Does it use a different method to avoid reading from the cache than the one used by checking "Drive caches audio data"? Or does it use the same basic method, but in a way that works faster with certain hardware?

FUA is a command that stands for 'Force Unit Access' and is Part of the MMC commandset. Basically, FUA will make the drive read data from the disc instead of reading data from the drive's physical buffer memory.
The name was Plex The Ripper, not Jack The Ripper

Reply #45
If FUA is part of the MMC command set is it possible that ponchorage is having problems because he is not using an MMC read command?

Possible I'm putting two and two together and getting twenty two.
I'm on a horse.

Reply #46

EAC 0.95b2
Plextor Premium (1.06)
Installed ASPI interface (Nero)

Command line: C:\Program Files\EAC\EAC.exe -usefua

Detect Read Features...
Caching: No
Accurate Stream: Yes
C2 Error Info: Yes

:edit: Also tested "-usefua" command line with EAC 0.95b3; same results.

Reply #47
If FUA is part of the MMC command set is it possible that ponchorage is having problems because he is not using an MMC read command?

Possible I'm putting two and two together and getting twenty two.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=347526"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I have no idea about this stuff so don't laugh.
Doesn't EAC have to be set to use D8 with Plextor drives? I take that's something else than MMC.

Reply #48
Teac CD-540E

http://froogle.google.com/froogle?btnG=Sea...-540e&scoring=p
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=338860"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I have one of these laying around, perfect condition if someone wants to purchase it. I don't know what an appropriate price would be but if you want it, pmsg me and we'll work something out.

Reply #49

EAC 0.95b2
Plextor Premium (1.06)
Installed ASPI interface (Nero)

Command line: C:\Program Files\EAC\EAC.exe -usefua

Detect Read Features...
Caching: No
Accurate Stream: Yes
C2 Error Info: Yes

:edit: Also tested "-usefua" command line with EAC 0.95b3; same results.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=347585"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

This is the exact setup I have (besides the location of EAC) and I get the opposite results, no matter what CD I have in the drive when testing the drives read features. I wonder what could be causing this.