Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: I just wanted to copy a CD.... (CDBurnerXP) (Read 6294 times) previous topic - next topic

I just wanted to copy a CD.... (CDBurnerXP)

I have used CDBurnerXP ever since XP was new, and I've never had a problem until now.

Yesterday, I tried to copy an audio CD. The first time, the program locked up during the burning phase and had to be shut down via Task Manager. The blank disc came out of the drive with scratches on it. The second time, the computer locked up during the read phase and the new blank disc came out with scratches on it.

I tried an older version of the software on an old XP machine, and it would not read the audio CD—which plays fine, is new, and is recognized by my regular computer.

I even downloaded the most recent version of the CDBurnerXP software, but the installer crashes!

I don't know what is going on with CDBurnerXP, but I seem to have nothing else with which to do the job. I also use CDBurnerXP to make occasional data backups to optical media—something that has always worked without issue.

Can anyone suggest anything else comparable? I can use ImgBurn, but i would prefer something a bit more elegant.

Thank you!

Re: I just wanted to copy a CD.... (CDBurnerXP)

Reply #1
Your CD burner is broken. Buy new hardware.

Reply #2
It is not. I use it all the time without other issues. I successfully used it this morning to create a number of backups.

I'm more interested in an alternative to CDBurnerXP, thank you.

Reply #3
Small CD-Writer, InfraRecorder, BurnAware. Or nero express 5 oem.

Reply #4
ImgBurn

Reply #5
Something that claims to require XP crashing on startup? Sounds like you got bit by the new requirement for XP: SSE2 support. Better don't update your OS ever again, either.

Reply #6
That's just the name. It does not require XP. Likely the name remains unchanged for sake of familiarity. It runs on everything up to 10.

I can see how this is good fodder, but there's more to it than that.

I have used ImgBurn, but always as a two-step process for creating and image and later burning that image. I would prefer something more elegant, perhaps intended for this specific purpose.

Reply #7
You can copy CD to CD with AnyBurn. Watch for malware (OpenCandy offers) in the installer. There is a portable version.
I'd recommend a two-step process though. Extract the digital audio from the CD with a program that uses secure ripping and/or (AccurateRip, CTDB) database verification then burn.
korth

Reply #8
I'd recommend a two-step process though. Extract the digital audio from the CD with a program that uses secure ripping and/or (AccurateRip, CTDB) database verification then burn.
I agree with a two-step process.

I use EAC to rip and then cdrtfe - cdrtools Frontend to burn.

Reply #9
I did not mean to imply it "requires" XP as a maximum, only that it supported everything as old as XP. Except that versions of Visual Studio that can still target XP now default to enabling SSE2 optimization, and must be configured to disable that manually if so desired.

Reply #10
The blank disc came out of the drive with scratches on it.
The CD player/burner isn't supposed to contact the "playing surface" so if the CD is getting physically scratched you have a very serous hardware problem (assuming you are not  mishandling the CD).

If you are hearing "scratchy sounds" you need to play the WAV files to check if you've got a ripping problem or a burning problem.

If you're getting burning problems you may simply have a batch of bad blanks.    

Reply #11
Yesterday, I tried to copy an audio CD. The first time, the program locked up during the burning phase and had to be shut down via Task Manager. The blank disc came out of the drive with scratches on it. The second time, the computer locked up during the read phase and the new blank disc came out with scratches on it.

You obviously have some sort of hardware issue, which might be intermittent. I suggest opening up the drive and cleaning it. Most often than not, it's simply dust and lint blocking end sensors, and blocking gears.
You can remove most of it, by just blowing on it, and using tweezers.

If you happen to have some Isopropanol at home, you can clean all surfaces, and remove the old grease. runners and gear axles should be greased with white lithium grease (this is nothing special, any hardware store has that). Old grease gets dirty and sticky.

If any of the plastic parts are broken, I suggest getting a new drive. You can repair it using epoxy, but unless you're familiar how to handle that, etc. it's not worth the cost and time.