Skip to main content

Topic: [seemingly abandonware] iPod manager (Read 1593585 times) previous topic - next topic

• kugel
  • [*]
Re: [seemingly abandonware] iPod manager
Reply #4025
Hi musicmusic,

Thank you for your reply.

It seems that I have found the song limit for a least the 20 GB 4th gen iPod. On the drive there are 50 folders (F00-F49) which each can be filled with 512 songs which amounts to 25600. When filling the iPod to this limit it does not show any songs anymore (so you can't listen to them). If I try to fill more songs on the iPod with the foo_dop plugin for foobar it gives the error "Gave up looking for a suitable filename" - I don't know yet how iTunes would react. Going in reverse I was able to achieve having 24000 songs working on it.

Maybe you could add this information to your page. I am using a PNY Elite 256 GB Card. The write speed on the iPod in disk mode is ~4 MB/s - it should be a lot faster if I write to it directly.

Cheers
Nikolai

• kugel
  • [*]
Reply #4026
Hi again,

that does not seem to have been the only issue. Now with less songs on, I still can not send some albums to the iPod:

Any Ideas? There are not necessarily special characters in the filenames.

Cheers
Nikolai
  • Last Edit: 16 April, 2017, 05:23:00 AM by kugel

• musicmusic
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Developer
Reply #4027
The error and no songs showing up should not be directly related. The 'Gave up looking for suitable filename' error is a result of how this component names files when transferred to the iPod. File names are first truncated and converted to ASCII (due to iPod limitations, with accents etc. being removed, and other characters converted to underscores). The Fxx directory with the lowest number of files is picked. If the new file name exists in there, it is truncated again and '(0)' appended. While the file name exists, that repeats until it gets to '(99)' when it then gives up if the file still exists. The intention was to attempt to preserve the original file names as much as possible.

iTunes on the other hand did something like pick four random letters for the file name, so conflicts would be rare. The algorithm used by this component could be made smarter, but no one reported encountering that error before. Hence it would be useful to have some idea of what your (original) file names look like, and what the contents of one of your Fxx directories looks like.

[Edit:] Check how many files you have in total in the Fxx directories and how many you actually in the device's database (e.g. using 'Load library').
  • Last Edit: 16 April, 2017, 05:49:36 AM by musicmusic

• kugel
  • [*]
Reply #4028
Ah you nailed it! I have 1.(0) - 1.(99) in and then it is not able to copy the filename anymore. Is there a possibility to change the renaming pattern? I guess in the source you published.

I had some odd behaviour again:
Now I had a working database and tried to add sth - it would complain about the filename again with the same error. After this I did not see any songs. Then I deleted sth from the iPod view (and thus also the iPod) and they showed up!

At the moment with the working configuration I have 23864 files and also as many songs in the foobar iPod view.

• musicmusic
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Developer
Reply #4029
That makes sense – it would take the first eight characters and '01 - 01' isn't very unique. I can make it a bit smarter to avoid these kind of conflicts.

Probably you've found a hard limit on what your iPod model can handle, and it may be related to the database size. I did a quick search online and didn't find anything about the iPod 4G, but found this about the iPod 5G:
https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/50726/Highest+possible+capacity+for+a+30gb+iPod+5th+gen#answer88383

• kugel
  • [*]
Reply #4030
I didn't know you are still working on the code - I am happy enough that you reply to questions in this thread!

As for the song limit I have read about it and I was completely unsure how it would appear. My iPod is not rebooting endlessly but just doesn't show the songs. I will fiddle around a bit more. It is weird that sometimes it would show the tracks and sometimes not  - even when I don't add or remove lots of songs. But I guess that in this case this is what is considered "unstable".

• musicmusic
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Developer
Reply #4031
I didn't know you are still working on the code - I am happy enough that you reply to questions in this thread!
I haven't been, but I don't anticipate it being a large change.

As for the song limit I have read about it and I was completely unsure how it would appear. My iPod is not rebooting endlessly but just doesn't show the songs. I will fiddle around a bit more. It is weird that sometimes it would show the tracks and sometimes not  - even when I don't add or remove lots of songs. But I guess that in this case this is what is considered "unstable".
How large is your iTunesDB?

• K336
  • [*]
Reply #4032
nvm
  • Last Edit: 20 April, 2017, 02:30:10 AM by K336