Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: multi-track files generation fails to create output file with long filename (Read 721 times) previous topic - next topic

multi-track files generation fails to create output file with long filename

I'm using foobar to process many music files contained in structured directories.
Each directory contains a FLACs file of a CD with CUE file.
The procedure automates foobar for:
1) opening cue sheet
2) chaining FLACs to obtain multi-track files
3) after conversion a lot of operation are performed automatically on input and output file ...

The name of output file is : WIP_CDImage_[%album artist% - ][%album%][ - %discnumber%_%totaldiscs%],
so the length of full path name of FLAC file can be very long.

When i launch conversion two dialog appear:

1) first "Converter Output" with flac name
2) second "Converter Status Report"
    Source: "E:\Musica\WIP\_FLAC\Jordie Savall\[] Mare Nostrum - Orient - Occident - Dialogues [Alia Vox AVSA 988] Figueras, Elmaleh, Hesperion XXI, Savall\Disc 1of2\WIP_CDImage_000 Mare Nostrum (Disc 1).cue" / index: 1
   Unable to open file for writing (Object not found) : "E:\Musica\WIP\_FLAC\Jordie Savall\[] Mare Nostrum - Orient - Occident - Dialogues [Alia Vox AVSA 988] Figueras, Elmaleh, Hesperion XXI, Savall\Disc 1of2\WIP_CDImage_Various - Mare Nostrum- Orient - Occident Dialogues- Dialogue des musiques chretiennes,... - 1_2.flac"
   Conversion failed: Object not found

Full Path name is long 271 chars and chaining fails. If I, manually, truncate file name, conversion ends correctly.
It's possible to solve this bug ?
thank you

Re: multi-track files generation fails to create output file with long filename

Reply #1
This is not foobar2000's bug. This is Windows limitation.
You can use function $cut in titleformatting to automatically limit file name length.

Reply #2
Thank you for your answer. I solved my problem.

A question, usually i use APIs to write data to file having fullpath greater than MAX_PATH, therefore what do you mean with Windows limitations ?

Reply #3
It's actually file system limit. NTFS allows long paths but each component is limited to 255 characters. Majority of file systems have similar or more strict limit for this.