Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Support linking (in addition to embedding) cover images (Read 1312 times) previous topic - next topic

Support linking (in addition to embedding) cover images

Having read the Vorbis comment specs recently, I found out that some cover art (images) may not only be imbedded as BASE64 in the comments, but an (external) image file may be referenced as well (Linked images). In the most simple case just a filename without any path. For complete albums this may save some bytes when all tracks share one common cover image.
Unfortunately foobar2000 does not allow that yet.

Reply #1
Not against adding functionality, but doesn't sound like you would gain much when you can simply tell foobar where to look for covers, regardless of the file format of the audio files.

Reply #2
Not against adding functionality, but doesn't sound like you would gain much when you can simply tell foobar where to look for covers, regardless of the file format of the audio files.

I'm not too deep in it, but most players support an album image in the same directory as the audio files. So there are alternatives to embedding the images. Shouldn't fb2k be smarter here?

Re: Support linking (in addition to embedding) cover images

Reply #3
Meanwhile I found out how to do it; it's mostly about picking the right file name and file format...