Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Documentation?, anybody? (Read 5120 times) previous topic - next topic

Documentation?, anybody?

Ehrm, is it just me being stupid or is documentation of this player quite scarce?. I have a hard time finding a manual describing it or it's plugins.

Documentation?, anybody?

Reply #1
RPTFLMAO!   

There exists one in French.  We Anglophones trail the French, once again  How do we say ennui in English?    B)
Nov schmoz kapop.

Documentation?, anybody?

Reply #2
Someone should really write a short documentation on foobar. Then instead of answering newbie's questions we could simply say RTFM

Documentation?, anybody?

Reply #3
Well, after about four months hanging around in the US waiting for the INS to give me permission to work here and figuring it could take quite a while for that to happen, I shot my mouth off in this thread and said I'd be willing to do an English translation and update of guruboolez's French fb2k tute. (You can see a link to the tute in that thread).

Of course, I got a job not a week later and haven't had squat-all time to myself since. I would still like to do one (as I would like to continue work on my homepage in general), but I think it might not be for a little while yet. I totally agree that such a tute for beginners is sorely needed.

Documentation?, anybody?

Reply #4
If a few experienced users would like to join me on making documentation, I'd be glad to coordinate it.

Documentation?, anybody?

Reply #5
Of course you wait till the last day of summer vaction to propose this 

But I guess I could help.

giac2000 at a website called hotmail

I can pitch in a little.

Documentation?, anybody?

Reply #6
hrrm.
http://foobar2000.org/0.7/FAQ.html
(not exactly new)
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Documentation?, anybody?

Reply #7
I say we pladurise that and just claim we wrote it...

(jk)

Documentation?, anybody?

Reply #8
Main problem with FAQ's seem to be that the people that actually do read them, would not really need to in the first place, and the other way around.

@diskreet
Anyway, in case you still want to write something more in debth, you are welcome to include my Masstagger Guide.  And if there would really be any demand for it I could do a small section on replaygain.  That could be quite short, basically stating: track gain does this, album gain does that, blahblah, use replaygain or die)

And, that also is only if there is any demand for it,  I would be willing to write a small "Make your own Formatstring" tutorial.  Could be kind of fun, but then again, I dought that that would be for the beginning user (or maybe, who knows).

You'd have to give me about a week to do so (busy week ahead) and they would be all in plain text (still desperately lack html skills, (hope AngelGR doesn't read this one    )) and you would have to incorporate that into any layout you like.

In case you do a good job, maybe you could even convince Peter to make that a sticky somewhere, otherwise it will quite likely get lost.  But thats up to you.

Still remember that shortly after joining this forum, I mentioned I would be willing to work on some kind of FAQ, so I guess it's time to stick to my words.

Not that the current FAQ is any bad, it's just that certain people seem to ha ve troubles finding it  .  Although I am not sure wether that would change with a new one (more in debth?,might put off certain people even more,but who cares as long as the people that do read it enjoy it).

Well as I said, if there is still demand you might want to take this work on, otherwise just be happy you don't need it anymore (actually referring to myself here)

Documentation?, anybody?

Reply #9
hrrm.
http://foobar2000.org/0.7/FAQ.html
(not exactly new)

Peter, we're not actually talking about an FAQ per se. I think the idea is to get together a basic, friendly HTML guide together for the layman, showing off the key features of fb2k with some pretty screenshots (maybe not QUITE as photoshopped as guruboolez's work of art!), which can convince a new user of the merits of the program and whet their appetite as to the configurability and power beneath the bonnet. Uh, and how much better it is than WinAMP. Etc. Your development of the software is way too frenetic at the moment to set down any kind of comprehensive instruction manual - it would need to be almost completely rewritten at least once every couple of weeks

Documentation?, anybody?

Reply #10
I volunteer to write a couple of articles.

Documentation?, anybody?

Reply #11
For anyone who wants to write articles, or needs documentation, I present the Foobar2000 Collaborative Documentation Project

(old post moved there)