Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Multichannel 5.1 WAV DTS to Stereo Output ? (Read 15257 times) previous topic - next topic

Multichannel 5.1 WAV DTS to Stereo Output ?

Hi.

Is there a plugin available to output 5.1 WAV as Stereo on Windows 10 ?

I think I've tried about anything there is, but nothing works.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Tommy

Re: Multichannel 5.1 WAV DTS to Stereo Output ?

Reply #1
Do you want to make a new stereo file, or do you simply want to play it in stereo?

Can you play the file at all?  

Reply #2
....... thanks for your reply.

1st of all the files are in perfect condition, I've already converted them from 5.1 WAV to 2.0 WAV with the same sample rates using FFmpeg and the are good.

The original 5.1 WAV do play in foobar2000 and also in VLC, but I'm using MusicBee as my player now.

Posted my question in the MusicBee Forum, but didn't get a reply.

Long time ago before using foobar2000 I was able to manage with a codec pack. but it's not working on my Windows 10 Pro x64 anymore.

Also tried different audio drivers and several filters, but nothing seems to work except for dtsdec which I can't fully integrate into MusicBee.

Long story short, I want to play the original 5.1 WAV files.

So I think I need a 5.1 to 2.0 downmix plugin either one that works only for MusicBee or for my sound card which is IDT on a Dell laptop.

Please help .......
Tommy

Reply #3
Convert your 5.1 WAV track into 2.0 WAV track using Channel Mixer in foobar2000 (add it in DSP section upon convertion). I don't see an issue having two separate tracks.

Reply #4
....... as I said in my post above, I've already converted them from 5.1 WAV to 2.0 WAV.

I want my system to be able playing the original 5.1 WAV files without conversion .......

Tommy

Reply #5
I have no idea if you can play it in MusicBee.     It's an oddball format with a "normal" WAV header designed to fake your CD burning software into thinking you're burning a regular audio CD from a regular (uncompressed PCM) WAV file.   Your CD player (or DVD player) sees the disc as a regular audio CD, and if you're lucky your receiver recognizes the DTS bit stream and decodes it.

If it also fakes-out your player software you're going to hear un-decoded DTS as noise.

Reply #6
....... sorry, but I think I give up and stick with the converted files because my knowledge is way to limited.

Anyway, I still think it's a Windows 10 problem, because on the same laptop with Windows 8 and a codec filter installed I could play these kind of files even in WMP.

Now no codec and no filter works, only foobar2000, VLC and WMC can and probably other players as well.

I thought I might get pointed to a plugin or filter here, but apparently not.

By the way, is the attached surroundTestDTS.dts.wav file an oddball format as well ?

This is exatly the same format as the sound files I got.

Thanks again for trying to help .......
Tommy

Reply #7
....... sorry, but I think I give up and stick with the converted files because my knowledge is way to limited.

Anyway, I still think it's a Windows 10 problem, because on the same laptop with Windows 8 and a codec filter installed I could play these kind of files even in WMP.

Now no codec and no filter works, only foobar2000, VLC and WMC can and probably other players as well.

are you using ASIO or WASAPI plugins with foobar?

From what I can glean, you are either playing a DTS file in a WAV wrapper  (what Audiomuxer calls ''SPDIF Wav") , or perhaps something ripped from a 'DTS CD'.

(versus a straight DTS file)

Is this correct?

Reply #8
....... yes. the tracks are ripped from a DTS CD.

As far as I understand, foobar2000 uses the "foo_input_dts.dll" for the playback of these files.

I'm using only what is installed by default in foobar2000 portable, no ASIO or WASAPI plugins .......
Tommy

Reply #9
....... yes. the tracks are ripped from a DTS CD.

As far as I understand, foobar2000 uses the "foo_input_dts.dll" for the playback of these files.

ok,  so it is undecoded DTS data in a PCM (WAV) wrapper  (that's what DTS CD tracks are too)

Yes, foobar uses that plugin to decode such files. I presume there is some sort of analogous DTS decoder built in, or added as a plugin, to MusicBee?  Obviously you need one t play such files.

I'm using only what is installed by default in foobar2000 portable, no ASIO or WASAPI plugins .......

If you were digitally streaming the raw data to an external DTS decoder, you'd need one of those plugins.  (taht's how I play all DTS, dts.wav, Dolby Digital etc files from foobar).  But that's  not what you're doing, I gather.  You're decoding in your player software (MusicBee is your preference, even though the file plays correctly in foobar and VLC...)  and outputting the decoded signal (which is PCM) to your amp/speakers. Correct?

a couple of ideas:

-Try changing the suffix of the problem file from .wav to .dts.  Or .dts to .wav (depending on what it is currently) 

-Use foobar or Audiomuxer to decode and save (i.e. convert)  the files as .wav - the resulting files will be true PCM .wav files -- and play those those files in MusicBee instead. 

Reply #10
....... I've already converted the files in FFmpeg like this:

Code: [Select]
ffmpeg -i 6channels.wav -ac 2 stereo.wav

The converted files are playing in MusicBee without a problem (see attached files).

As you can see the converted files are of the same size as the originals, they also got the same sample rates and sound perfect to me.

I only want to accomplish to play the unconverted files in MusicBee and I think if I find the right plugin it might work .......

Tommy

Reply #12
@moonlune

,,,,,,, thanks for your reply.
QWinFF is a converter, but that's not what I need because I've converted the files already from 5.1 to 2.0
What I need is an output plugin 5.1 WAV as Stereo for MusicBee to play the unconverted original files.
Thanks anyway as this seems to be a nice little tool ,,,,,,,
Tommy

Reply #13
I don't understand what you are asking.  You've said

1) you converted a 5.1 channel file to a 2.0 channel file

but now you want to

2) go back to the 5.1 original and *output it directly* as 2.0???

Reply #14
....... Foobar for example has this plugin : foo_input_dts.dll
With this plugin Foobar can play WAV DTS 5.1
What I need is a plugin like this for MusicBee as this is my player of choice now.
The goal is to play WAV DTS without conversion .......
Tommy

Reply #15
Have you tried converting the DTS wav to flac?

This is a quote from musicbee support questions:
jimmanningjr wrote : "What I do is take the DTS wav and use foobar to convert it to a 5.1 flac file...Then Music Bee will play the Flac File with the 5.1 surround sound"

Reply #16
....... Foobar for example has this plugin : foo_input_dts.dll
With this plugin Foobar can play WAV DTS 5.1
What I need is a plugin like this for MusicBee as this is my player of choice now.
The goal is to play WAV DTS without conversion .......

OK, now it's clear.  You want to output a 5.1 file as 5.1 audio.  (I don't know why you kept writing about 'stereo' and 2.0 conversion in that case, but ,whatever)

Conceptually you have two options

1) decode the DTS to 6channel PCM in your computer (using a plugin similar to foo_input_dts) and send the output to your connected playback system.  For that, you need either a connection that supports 6 channel PCM  (HDMI can do it, optical/coax S/PDIF CANNOT), or a soundcard that offers  6 analog out  to a receiver that has 6 analog in

or

2) output the 'raw' DTS to the receiver, and let the receiver decode it.  For this , you do NOT want a Musicbee plugin that decodes DTS, you want a plugin or setting that allows bit-perfect streaming of data  (e.g. for foobar, a foo_WASAPI plugin).  The connection can be either S/PDIF or HDMI. 

From what I can tell, Musicbee offers WASAPI output as a native option.  So try that, making sure you also select the appropriate output port (i.e. your digital output).  If it's setup correctly your AVR should recognize the input signal as some flavor of 'DTS'  , and it should not sound like white noise. 

NB if it fails you might also try renaming the files from xxx.wav to xxx.dts, or convert them to xxx.flac as mentioned above. 

Reply #17
....... sorry, for being confusing.

I don't have a 6 channel sound system at the moment, just stereo.

If I play the WAV DTS 5.1 in Foobar it works, if I play it in MusicBee I get only static noise.

The WAV DTS converted to 6 channel FLAC plays alright in MusicBee.

I don't have a problem converting, I only want to play the original WAV DTS 5.1 (not converted) in MusicBee like I can do in Foobar, but that's not possible because I can't find a plugin for MusicBee that works same as the foo_input_dts.dll in Foobar.

So I was thinking that someone here could point me to a plugin for MusicBee.

Again, I'm sorry for being unclear.

Thanks again to everybody here trying to help ,,,,,,,

P.S. I tried renaming the files from .wav to .dts but it didn't work.
Tommy

Reply #18
....... sorry, for being confusing.

I don't have a 6 channel sound system at the moment, just stereo.

If I play the WAV DTS 5.1 in Foobar it works, if I play it in MusicBee I get only static noise.

foo_input_dts will cause a 5.1 DTS file to be decoded into 5.1 PCM before output.  So if 5.1 output as  2.0 already  'works' for you in foobar, using foo_input_dts, then you must also be using foobar's downmixing DSP to fold down the 5.1 PCM to 2.0.  Otherwise you are only hearing the front Left and Right channels of a 6-channel mix.

But you also wrote about having already created a 2.0  WAV file from the 5.1 file, which is confusing, because if that is true , *just play that file* in Musicbee.   A 2 channel PCM wav file should play in Musicbee with no problem.

If you have NOT really created a separate 2.0 wav file, I suggest you do this

1) open the original 5.1 file in foobar (with foo_input_dts active)
2) select the track and choose 'Convert' from dropdown
 3) choose 'wav' as the output format, and under 'Processing', select 'downmix channels to stereo'
4) click 'Convert'.  It will save the new file somehwere
5) open and play the new file in Musicbee.

Reply #19
....... sorry again, it's probably because of my bad English.

I've got these files for you to look at : http://www.mediafire.com/file/7pzhfugi7dulx16/WAV_Samples.7z

One is the original the other is converted.

The converted file is playing fine in MusicBee, that's not the issue.

I would like to achieve playing the original non-converted file same as I can do it in Foobar that's all

Apparently that's not possible at the moment, so I just have to wait until the MusicBee developer hopefully will include a plugin sooner or later.

Thanks again for all your effort trying to help ,,,,,,
Tommy

Reply #20
Not sure full files are ok to post here and what's up with the ...... dots?

*update: Checking the files right now.

Not sure what the issue is, they both show 2 channels in the foobar2000's properties but if you do bit-compare this comes up:
Differences found in compared tracks.

Comparing:
"D:\Downloads\01 - No Friend of Mine (Original).wav"
"D:\Downloads\01 - No Friend Of Mine (Converted).wav"
Audio data format mismatch: 44100Hz 2ch vs 44100Hz 6ch FL FR FC LFE SL SR

Total duration processed: 0:00.000
Time elapsed: 0:00.017
0.00x realtime

MediaInfo shows (Original)=PCM, (Converted)=DTS, did you rename them properly before sharing? I think the Original was the DTS right?

*update: I'm sure there are other ways but I remembered about this software (http://www.pazera-software.com/files/Pazera_Free_Audio_Extractor_64bit_PORTABLE.zip) and I used it to extract the DTS stream from the WAV, now it properly shows 6 channels and all the DTS info in foobar2000. Would that help you with anything?

*update: Again, not sure who made the original WAV but now after converting from the DTS I extracted everything is fine in foobar2000, it shows 6 channels and all the info correctly.
All tracks decoded fine, no differences found.

Comparing:
"D:\Downloads\01 - No Friend Of Mine (Converted).dts"
"D:\Downloads\01 - No Friend Of Mine (Converted) test.wav"
Compared 9675776 samples.
No differences in decoded data found.
Channel peaks: 1.0000000 1.0000000 0.9999999 0.1706220 1.0000000 0.9998053

Total duration processed: 3:39.405
Time elapsed: 0:02.810
78.08x realtime

Reply #21
The info for the DTS WAV must be collected from "dynamic" track info updates, not from the main file info. Maybe this will be helped with a future update of the SDK? The postprocessed track info is handled by an SDK interface, maybe it needs to pre-roll the first packet or two of audio or requested preroll for each supporting postprocessor, to collect metadata first? Otherwise, it's dynamic track info, and must be polled separately.

Reply #22
,,,,,,, I'm not even close having the knowledge about audio files like you guys.

MediaInfo shows (Original)=PCM, (Converted)=DTS, did you rename them properly before sharing? I think the Original was the DTS right?

,,,,,,, right and I did rename the files properly before sharing.

I'm just trying to play a certain music file format in my player of choice.

The files are not the problem, it's the player not supporting the playback of the DTS WAV, that's why I'm looking for a pluging to let the player accept this file format in question.

what's up with the ...... dots?

They are just dots .......
Tommy

Reply #23
Audiomuxer has a tool to fix 'corrupted' dtsWAV files that are being p;layed erroneously as 2 channel PCM.  It outputs a corrected file called  [filename].fixed.wav.  But FWIW, it doesn't work on your file (it generates another '2ch' file, this time one that even foobar can't play)

here is the 'fixed' dtswav file that Audiomuxer creates
==> C:\Downloads\WAV Samples\01 - No Friend of Mine (Original).fixed.wav
> PCM-Microsoft PCM (16bits) | 44100Hz | 1 411.2 kb/s | 2Ch (2/0/0)*

> Created from "C:\Downloads\WAV Samples\01 - No Friend of Mine (Original).wav"
since the DTSWav file was corrupted.

wav2dts , for dtswav-->dts conversion, fails on your (Original) file as well, but works fine on your (Converted) dtswav file, creating a playable .dts file.

C:\Downloads\wav2dts>wav2dts.exe Original.wav
Don't found any valid dts header in first 99998 bytes.

C:\Downloads\wav2dts>wav2dts.exe Converted.wav
FileSize : 38877270 bytes
Initial bytes rejected : 44
-------------   Valid Header
FrameSizeRead   3600 bytes.
FrameSize14le : 4096 bytes.
FrameSize16be : 3584 bytes.
NumFrames     : 9491.
Channels mode : Surround.
SampleRate    : 44.1 KHz,
Done, dts created.

Reply #24
> Created from "C:\Downloads\WAV Samples\01 - No Friend of Mine (Original).wav"
since the DTSWav file was corrupted.
,,,,,, does this mean that the original WAV DTS is corrupted ?
Tommy