Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Tools doesn't show SACD" option (Read 4896 times) previous topic - next topic

Tools doesn't show SACD" option

Hello,

I am a total beginner with Foobar.
After buying a Teac UD-501, and installing Teac drivers, I installed Foobar, and the SACD plug-in... At least I think so since I can see "foo_dsd_asio" in the Output window. But when I try "Preferences / tools", I can't see what I should see - the SACD option ; for example, in a tutorial, I found this :

- Click on Tools and select SACD. [I haven't this : instead, foobar says "select a subpage"]

Also, for some reason, I can't see foobar or Asio or DSD in my windows 7 sound parameters (only headphones, loudspeakers and NVidia..)

Can you help please ?
Thank you in advance !

Reply #1
What options does it show for replay in Foobar's Preferences > Output (the drop-down menu at the top of the 'output' page)?

Reply #2
Under Output, I have only one sub-item : ASIO, and the window says "device" and displays 1000 ms as buffer length.
When I click the item ASIO, I have another window called Asio Drivers and showing two lines : foo_dsd_asio and TEAC ASIO USB DRIVERS (which I installed earlier)

Reply #3
Under Output, I have only one sub-item : ASIO, and the window says "device" and displays 1000 ms as buffer length.
When I click the item ASIO, I have another window called Asio Drivers and showing two lines : foo_dsd_asio and TEAC ASIO USB DRIVERS (which I installed earlier)

Okay. In Windows Control Panel, under 'sounds' does the TEAC show up at all as an option in the 'playback' section? For instance, on my 'playback' tab, there are three entries for 'speakers', one of which is my DAC.

Reply #4
No, it doesn't ; and that was my next worry...! I have only Loudpseakers, Headphones, and S24D590-1 Nvidia High-definition Audio..

Reply #5
Oh dear. Does the TEAC show up in Control Panel > Device Manager under 'Sound, Video & Game controllers'?

Reply #6
No, it doesn't ; it only shows several NVIDIA items, plus one "IDT High definition Audio Codec"

Reply #7
No, it doesn't ; it only shows several NVIDIA items, plus one "IDT High definition Audio Codec"

According to the manual, it should show up as 'TEAC etc.' and not some generic name. I assume you've tried re-installation?

People with more experience of this sort of thing post on this forum, so I hope they can come up with more ideas.

Reply #8
Thank you for your suggestion. I think I'll try what you say : uninistall and re-install the Teac drivers  ; I'll post the result...

Reply #9
Thank you for your suggestion. I think I'll try what you say : uninistall and re-install the Teac drivers  ; I'll post the result...

Best go back to the first system restore point before you loaded the drivers too, then start from scratch.

Reply #10
Very good suggestion, thank you.

The question is : should I install the Teac driver and player if I intend to use foobar, or not ? It seems that Teac has his own player, but the instructions on their website are not very clear, they mention Jriver, foobar, but also Teac Player... not very clear.

Reply #11
I restored my PC, then tried to re-install the Teac UD-501 drivers, but it doesn't seem to work... "TEAC Asio usb" driver does appear in the Installed programs, but I can't see it in the Windows Audio device panel: I see only Loudspeakers, Headphones and Nvidia... very odd and frustrating.

Sorry, I'm afraid this has nothing to do with Foobar, then.

Reply #12
hi ziggyziggy

you need asio Proxy!

http://sourceforge.net/projects/sacddecode...es/foo_dsd_asio
after download  extract it, now you will see asio proxy and foo DSD asio. install asio Proxy, after that go in foobar to preferences/components,click on install for foo DSD asio and apply.do same with sacd plugin.
now go to foobar  Output asio ,you see 2 Driver: foo DSD asio and teac Driver. doubleclick on foobar DSD asio, a window will show up,now choose teac Driver.dsd mode: nativ, DSD 128.
under sacd chance asio Driver mode to DSD.
i hope it works!

sorry for my bad english....

greetz dsd

Reply #13
Out of curiosity, is there a foobar2000 DSD decoder which doesn't have an additional dependency on ASIO? ASIO is always more trouble than it's worth.
It's only audiophile if it's inconvenient.

Reply #14
Out of curiosity, is there a foobar2000 DSD decoder which doesn't have an additional dependency on ASIO

Really even foo_input_sacd doesn't have an additional dependency on ASIO. It can simply decode DSD to PCM and doesn't need any ASIO driver for this.

Reply #15
Hi, all,

I have already in my Components : foo_out_asio, foo_out_ks + foo_out_wasapi...
And I just realised that - whilst I see no Teac device in my Windows playback devices list - I can play Flac files from Foobar, sent to the USB input of the DAC.

Do I actually need something more ?

DSD :

Thanks for the suggestion. It must be easy for those who know this, but ...the Zip file in your link contains two folders (src and filters) and two files : "ASIOProxyInstall-0.7.1.2.exe" and "foo_input_sacd.fb2k-component" (not "dsd"... ?).

What should I do : should I unzip only the exe ...or ..?  Can you explain ? Thank you !

I'm "a bit" lost with this technology... !

Reply #16
...the Zip file in your link contains two folders (src and filters) and two files : "ASIOProxyInstall-0.7.1.2.exe" and "foo_input_sacd.fb2k-component" (not "dsd"... ?).

What should I do : should I unzip only the exe ...or ..?  Can you explain ? Thank you !

Unlike most component packages this one contains two related but separate items.

foo_input_sacd is a DSD input component, it will allow reading of dff, dsf, SACD iso, etc. files and optionally convert the resultant DSD to PCM.  It also supports tag editing for .iso files.
The foo_input_sacd component is installed like any other component.  (For example open the foobar2000 options page and select components, drop the foo_input_sacd component into the right side and press OK.)

The other component foo_dsd_asio (ASIOProxyInstall) adds an ASIO proxy to your system  It's an ASIO driver that can convert PCM to DSD and/or wrap DSD in DoP and forward the results to any other ASIO driver in your system.
If you don't have a DSD capable DAC skip the foo_dsd_asio proxy.  It's a normal Windows install file.  Run it and follow the install instructions.

Reply #17
Sorry mistake, please see my post here below !

Reply #18
Thank you ted, I know a little more now...

I have a Teac UD-501 DAC which can play DSD files. If I understand well, the input_sacd component allows to play files that I could not play without it...and the dsd_asio component will allow to read PCM (CD ?) files with higher quality ?

I have installed both. Now, I am not sure of how to set parameters in the foo_dsd_asio v0.7.1.2 window : I have set ASIO Driver to "TEAC ASIO USB DRIVER, then DSD playback method to "ASIO Native" (is it right ?), but what about the three other settings ?
Thank you in advance if you can help me finalise this.

Reply #19
I have a Teac UD-501 DAC which can play DSD files. If I understand well, the input_sacd component allows to play files that I could not play without it...and the dsd_asio component will allow to read PCM (CD ?) files with higher quality ?

I have installed both. Now, I am not sure of how to set parameters in the foo_dsd_asio v0.7.1.2 window : I have set ASIO Driver to "TEAC ASIO USB DRIVER, then DSD playback method to "ASIO Native" (is it right ?), but what about the three other settings ?
Thank you in advance if you can help me finalise this.

The dsd asio proxy is used to either convert PCM to DSD or to wrap DSD in DoP to send it to the DAC.  If you don't want to do either you don't need to use this proxy.
You need to know if the Teac UD-501 DAC takes raw DSD via ASIO native or if it needs DoP (DSD over PCM) for DSD.  You can just experiment with the first two selections of DSD Playback Method and see which works.
You probably want to leave DSD to DSD method at None.
You may want PCM to DSD set to some non None value if your DAC sounds better with DSD than PCM (not many do).  You can simply listen to the options and see which sounds the best to you.  DSD64 is support by most DSD dacs, DSD128 is double rate DSD and some DACs support it.
I leave DSD/PCM Transition at 0.  If you get pops, farts, etc. when you go back and forth between DSD and PCM while playing you can try changing this.

Reply #20
Teac says "The UD-501 supports DSD playback at either 2.8 MHz or 5.6MHz (DXD) rates. PCM audio is supported up to 384kHz/32-bit resolution. It connects to your computer over USB using ASIO 2.1 or DoP."
I suppose that it means that it "takes raw DSD via ASIO native" as you say.

Now I have set the parameters as you recommended. I sincerely thank you a lot for your kind assistance.  I am glad that experts like you participate in this forum !