Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: WMP10 Final comes with new 2004 FhG Pro ACM codec? (Read 125328 times) previous topic - next topic

WMP10 Final comes with new 2004 FhG Pro ACM codec?

Reply #100
Link to ACMENC is not work. Does anyone have copy?

Reply #102
Thank you for the link. 

Reply #103
Hi - this is the first post from a newbee!

I'm running XP Home SP2, have installed WMP10 and registered the FhG ACM codec as described by Sony66.

I've also downloaded the ACMEnc 0.6 (and msvcr71.dll, which was requested when I tried my first command...) and 'installed' it.

Trouble is, I can't get ACMEnc 0.6 to work  . When using the -ld command, it lists a lot of drivers, including the FhG Pro driver. When using the -lf cammand, it displays abolutely nothing. If I specify the codec I want to see the assosiated formats for, it returns 'Could not open <abbreviation>'

acmenc -c Fraunhofer IIS MPEG Layer-3 Codec (professional) -lf
returns:
Could not open IIS

Anyone experienced the same problem, and has an idea how to fix this? Or maybe recommend another app? I really would like to use foobar to convert my FLACs to low/mid bitrate FhG & LAME and compare them to see what pleases my ears the most... 

May the sun shine!!! AAA

Reply #104
My preset for Fraunhofer encoding (using acmenc.exe) in Foobar has this parameter line:

-c  "Fraunhofer IIS MPEG Layer-3 Codec (professional)" -b 192 %s %d

If you want to try the "high quality mode", add the -h switch, but be prepared for encoding time to increase greatly.

Hope this helps you.

Reply #105
My preset for Fraunhofer encoding (using acmenc.exe) in Foobar has this parameter line:
-c  "Fraunhofer IIS MPEG Layer-3 Codec (professional)" -b 192 %s %d

If you want to try the "high quality mode", add the -h switch, but be prepared for encoding time to increase greatly.

Hope this helps you.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Alternatively, if you place acmenc.cfg in the same folder as acmenc.exe, you can use "Fraunhofer IIS MPEG Layer-3 Codec (professional)" by simply:
Code: [Select]
acmenc -p fiis-pro -b 192 %s %d

This will add MP3-Info information into MP3 files which is necessary for gapless playback.

PS: I forgot to mention in README file  , but the more comprehensible manual with examples is available at:
[a href="http://nyaochi.sakura.ne.jp/xoops/modules/mysoftwares/tc_3.html]http://nyaochi.sakura.ne.jp/xoops/modules/...wares/tc_3.html[/url]

Reply #106
Well, I think I've just proven myself to really be a newbie...

Two mistakes:
1) I left out the quotemarks on the codec name
2) The -lf test shall be followed by an audio file; I guess it needs the files properties (samplerate, bitdepth etc) to determine what possible output the codec(s) can produce.

Consequently - my command strings were meaningless 

Thanks, LMS & nyacochi, you've got me back on track - everything is working splendid over here now

Edit: Btw, nyaochi, your page is great, but I think you should check the title - seems to me there's a "N" to much, and maybe missing a "M"...

Reply #107
Edit: Btw, nyaochi, your page is great, but I think you should check the title - seems to me there's a "N" to much, and maybe missing a "M"...
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=307529"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Corrected. Thanks for pointing this. Hard for me to notice that

Reply #108
Would this inf file worked for extracting the l3codep.acm file from wmp10 and installing in Windows 98 or 2000?

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....pe=post&id=1594

EDIT:
never mind, I read all the earlier posts on extracting it out of the installer.

Reply #109
From the AMCENC user guide.....

Fraunhofer IIS MPEG Layer-3 Codec (professional)" (l3codecp.acm)
New version of this codec will be copied (not installed) to your computer during WMP10 installation. Although we can convert CD to MP3 only by using WMP10, we cannot use this ACM codec from other applications by default.

To activate it, you must make a registory hack or rename the file name. I don't use this codec for high quality encoding or archiving. But this codec may be a good encoding solution because it is very fast and its quality is quite acceptable. You may be satisfied with this codec if you are looking for a good encoder for low/mid bitrate range. As far as I use this codec, I recommend you not to use -h option (high quality or non-realtime encoding) with this codec because it seems that high quality mode sometimes produces annoying artifacts. Encoder delay is 672 sample, similarly to FastEnc.

Is the referenced registry hack the following?

how to make the WMP10 professional codec work in other applications (like EAC) WITHOUT renaming system files

-after installing WMP10 make sure that l3codecp.acm is in the system32 folder. if you dont want to install WMP10 you can extract the file manually with "mp10setup.exe /T:c:\extract /C"

-make sure these registry keys are set, if not add them manually:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32]
"msacm.l3acm"="l3codecp.acm"
"msacm.l3codec"="l3codecp.acm"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\drivers.desc]
"l3codecp.acm"="Fraunhofer IIS MPEG Layer-3 Codec (professional)"

If yes, could it be explained a little clearer? For example, what does [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32] mean?

Does "msacm.l3acm"="l3codecp.acm" mean to rename msacm.l3acm with l3codecp.acm?

Sorry for my not understanding, I am sure most programmers here know exactly what the instructions mean.

Finally, has anyone been able to make ACMENC work via DBPweramp (to transfer tagging information directly)?

Reply #110
Is the referenced registry hack the following?

Yes.

If yes, could it be explained a little clearer? For example, what does [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32] mean?

Does "msacm.l3acm"="l3codecp.acm" mean to rename msacm.l3acm with l3codecp.acm?

Sorry for my not understanding, I am sure most programmers here know exactly what the instructions mean.

IIRC, "msacm.l3acm"="l3codecp.acm" means creating a regstiry key/value pair in "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32" position. These key/value pairs will be added to the registry if a user executes *.reg file. So it doesn't indicate replacing actual files. But I don't know the semantics, e.g., how an ACM manager evaluates these registry entries.

Reply #111
Is this faster than the old one? Has any abx'ed it?

Can or will you have a vbr preset?

And for ezra2323, did renaming it to l3codeca.acm work, if you have wmp 6.4+ installed with the previous mp3 codec?

Reply #112
IIRC, "msacm.l3acm"="l3codecp.acm" means creating a regstiry key/value pair in "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32" position. These key/value pairs will be added to the registry if a user executes *.reg file. So it doesn't indicate replacing actual files. But I don't know the semantics, e.g., how an ACM manager evaluates these registry entries.

So how do you 'create' a registry key? I do not have a HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32 path on my machine. Only a C:Windows\system32 directory. In there is the l3codecp.acm file. But what does one do with it? Are you supposed to type  "msacm.l3acm"="l3codecp.acm" somewhere? Where? At a DOS prompt?

I'm not familiar at all with creating a registry key so any help is appreciated. I'm sure its a fairly easy process once you understand what is involved.

I have the l3codecp.acm file located, just not sure what to do with it.

Where does one obtain a .reg file and how do you execute it?

Reply #113
Do I even need to perform the registry functions to use ACMENC with the WMP10 MP3 encoder or can I just do the following?

No need for a registry hack. Just go to c:\windows\system32 and rename l3codeca.acm to l3codeca.bak. Then copy l3codecp.acm to l3codeca.acm (swaps the professional one in place of the old advanced one).

What does 'copy' l3codecp.acm to l3codeca.acm mean? Once I rename l3codeca.acm to .bak it will not exist anymore. After renamin git to .bak would I then not just rename l3codecp.acm to l3codeca.acm?

Reply #114
What does 'copy' l3codecp.acm to l3codeca.acm mean?

You'll replace the old and limited encoder by the new one, which is only copied by WMP after installation of the player, but is not installed. Just give to l3codecp (present but not installed) the same name of l3codeca (installed). Then Windows will use the new encoder instead of the old one.

Once I rename l3codeca.acm to .bak it will not exist anymore.

Afer renaming the file, or changing the extension, don't press on SUPPR. Then the file won't be deleted 

Reply #115
Sorry I misunderstood. I thought the method presented in this thread used *.reg file. If you just want to know how to activate l3codecp.acm, just google l3codecp.acm. You will find a lot of useful information. For example,
http://www.looprecorder.de/tut_l3codec.php
http://msmvps.com/chrisl/archive/2004/09/04/12994.aspx

Reply #116
So how do you 'create' a registry key?
Start Menu -> Run -> regedit. The Registry Editor window comes up. The interface is similar to Windoze Explorer. You have to know what you are doing though, because a misstep can easily render your Windoze installation unbootable.
You don't need to do it manually, anyway. Just copy the code from VLSI's post into a text file, then save into the same directory as the .acm files you extract from the installer but with .inf as the extension, not .txt.  Right-click on the newly created INF, choose Install and reboot.
HTH

Reply #117
Hi guys. Great forum.

Just reading through this thread and was wondering what is the advantage of using an ACMENC to access the l3codecp.acm encoder as oppose to just using EAC to ripp and then encode with the same encoder.

I've already adjusted the registry to utilize the Professional version like everyone has.

Then I decided to configure EAC to ripp and then encode using the Professional encoder.
Works well. I'm just using the 128bit.

Then I decided to experiment with the ACMENC, by using EAC to ripp to a wave file and then following the instructions to encode to .mp3. I've also done it with a cdimage.wav of the same CD. As well as using BatchEnc v1.5.1.

All said, don't hear much of a difference.

Is there a PLUS to using a command-line as oppose to just using EAC and the l3codec.acm.

By the way, how do I include "year , "Genre" and ID3v2 Tag within "acmenccs.bat"?
When I use it with a cdimage.wav only ID3v1 Tag is filled in (without year and Genre).
TIA

Reply #118
Just reading through this thread and was wondering what is the advantage of using an ACMENC to access the l3codecp.acm encoder as oppose to just using EAC to ripp and then encode with the same encoder.

ACMENC can add special information for gapless playback, which is the very motivation for me to write this software.

All said, don't hear much of a difference.

Of course no quality difference as they use the same encoding engine (l3codecp).

By the way, how do I include "year , "Genre" and ID3v2 Tag within "acmenccs.bat"?
When I use it with a cdimage.wav only ID3v1 Tag is filled in (without year and Genre).
TIA
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=313813"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Modify the batch file to pass --ty and --tg options to acmenc.

Reply #119
I've done the renaming of  l3codecp.acm to l3codeca.acm (easier and safer than the registry changes). Unfortunately, due to issues with my PC, I cannot use the DOS prmopt and thus AMCEnc (don't ask). As soon as I type/cmd at RUN, the window flashes and disappears. Same thing if I execute AMCEnc.

However, I think BatchEnc may meet my needs. I do have a couple of questions though.

#1 Batchenc says
The encoders and decoders must be either in the same directory as Batchenc or in the Path. Another posibilty is to specify the location of the encoder on the command line. Example:
"c:\program files\encoders\lame\lame.exe" --alt-preset standard <infile> <outfile.mp3> (the quotes are required when there are spaces in the path). But this last method gets messy soon. I prefer to have all codecs in one directory and add this directory to the search Path. In Windows XP this can be done in: Control Panel -> System -> Advanced -> Environment Variables -> Path -> Edit.

Can I put l3codeca.acm in C:\program files\Bathenc where I have Batchenc located???? Will it work from this location??? If not, how do I access it from its native location of C:\Windows\system 32?? Normally I move codescs wherever I need them, but they are all exe files and NOT located in a Windows/system 32 directory. I'm leery to move anything out of that directory without an expert letting me know its OK for my PC. I've messed my PC up enough already (see earlier comment regarding DOS)

#2 Does someone have a good command line to use l3codeca.acm at 256 kbps? One is not available with Batchenc. I must create it myself. I would like a WAV to MP3 command line and a FLAC to MP3 command line. I would also like to automatically add ID3V2.3 tags (my FLACs are all tagged) in the command line, but it is not critical if this cannot be done. I have several tagging programs to tag afterward.

Thanks for offering an amatuer PC user but MP3 die-hard with any help.

Reply #120
ezra: put the acmenc (exe and other) files in your batchenc directory and try this:
WAV input file:
acmenc -p fiis-adv -b 128 - <outfile.mp3>

FLAC input file:
flac -d -c -f <infile> | acmenc -p fiis-adv -b 128 - <outfile.mp3> && tag --fromfile <infile> <outfile.mp3>

To check what codecs are installed in your PC
acmenc -ld

To check what available bitrates are possible for your wave inputfile (i.e. if 256kb is available)
acmenc -c "Fraunhofer IIS MPEG Layer-3 Codec (advanced)" -lf <infile>
WavPack 4.31 / LAME 3.98 alpha 3 -V9 -vbr-new

Reply #121
nyaochi, thanks for your response. And thanks for a fine piece of software.

I've spent the weekend converting a portion of my CD collection using your ACMENC and ACDIR. I decided to first create a cdimage.wav using EAC and then use the command line  "acmenccs --extra-opt "-p fiis-pro -b128" CDImage.cue".

I copied the contents of ACDIR v0.12 and ACMENC into the same folder on the C: drive.

I did notice that if the song title name or Artist is long then the final .mp3 wil have both ID3v1 Tag and ID3v2 Tag filled in. But if the song title or artist name is short, only ID3v1 Tag is filled in. Is this ACMENC or my settings in EAC? Either way can't complain. I guess its better that way.

By the way I'm using WinAmp to play back my mp3s.

Another question, I copied the command line directly from your instructions, but I notice that some people are posting a variation of this command line:

"-b128" as oppose to "-b 128". Does it make a difference if their is no space between -b and 128? I hope not, because I've just spent Saturday converting CDs using this line: acmenccs --extra-opt "-p fiis-pro -b128" CDImage.cue.

Also on BatchEnc, I just copied the contents of the application into the same folder as ACMENC and ACDIR and created a short cut to the desktop and added the command line " acmenc -p fiis-pro -b128 <infile> <outfile.mp3>" in the BatchEnc. I use this if I justed wanted to convert individual (.wav) files that I ripped using EAC. But the result doesn't contain any  ID3v1 Tag or ID3v2 Tag info. What file do I need to modify to include such info if I'm using just the BatchEnc or do I just need to modify the command line "acmenc -p fiis-pro -b128 <infile> <outfile.mp3>".

nyaochi, this is the batch file contents, how would I include year (--ty) and genre (--tg) "@acdir --output "$~a - $n - $~t.mp3" --pipe "acmenc --tt $#t --ta $#a --tl $#T --tn $#n $x - $#o" %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9".

Again Thanks.

Reply #122
I did notice that if the song title name or Artist is long then the final .mp3 wil have both ID3v1 Tag and ID3v2 Tag filled in. But if the song title or artist name is short, only ID3v1 Tag is filled in. Is this ACMENC or my settings in EAC? Either way can't complain. I guess its better that way.

It's definitely ACMENC's behavior. Read carefully the command-line help (acmenc --help), and you will notice --add-id3v2 or --id3v2-only option.

"-b128" as oppose to "-b 128". Does it make a difference if their is no space between -b and 128? I hope not, because I've just spent Saturday converting CDs using this line: acmenccs --extra-opt "-p fiis-pro -b128" CDImage.cue.

No difference as for ACMENC.

What file do I need to modify to include such info if I'm using just the BatchEnc or do I just need to modify the command line "acmenc -p fiis-pro -b128 <infile> <outfile.mp3>".

Sorry, I don't use BatchEnc. But ACMENC's command-line options have a kind of compatibility with LAME's one, so I suppose you can create your own by looking at an example for LAME.

nyaochi, this is the batch file contents, how would I include year (--ty) and genre (--tg) "@acdir --output "$~a - $n - $~t.mp3" --pipe "acmenc --tt $#t --ta $#a --tl $#T --tn $#n $x - $#o" %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9".

Something like this:
@acdir --output "$~a - $n - $~t.mp3" --pipe "acmenc --id3v2-only --tt $#t --ta $#a --tl $#T --tn $#n #ifdef$r{GENRE}--tg $#r{GENRE}#endif #ifdef$r{DATE}--ty $#r{DATE}#endif $x - $#o" %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9

You will probably need --id3v2-only because ID3v1 accepts only a set of predefined genre strings.

Reply #123
ezra: put the acmenc (exe and other) files in your batchenc directory and try this:
acmenc -p fiis-adv -b 128 - <outfile.mp3>

Hmmm. Progress. This launches AMCEnc. However, AMCEnc does nothing. It just brings up the window. No prompt for another command, no encoding, etc.

Is there another step I am missing?

Reply #124
Thanks again, nyaochi.