Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Recent Windows Update solved handshake problem? (Read 5966 times) previous topic - next topic

Recent Windows Update solved handshake problem?

Did anyone else experience this the past month? For over a year I was dealing with the dreaded "handshake" problem where I was having problems with my receiver not getting audio signals correctly from my PC through HDMI. None of the online recommendations of registry changes, software, files, etc., worked. I had to first turn on the receiver, then turn on the computer to get it to work. If my computer was already running when I turned on the receiver, I had to reboot to get sound. Then, suddenly last month, after a batch of Windows updates, this problem disappeared!

I'm not positive which exact update was the savior. One possibility was this: Intel Corporation Graphics Adapter WDDM1.1, Graphics Adapter WDDM1.2, Graphics Adapter WDDM1.3 software update released in September, 2014. This was an Optional update, not a Recommended or Critical update. Most of the other updates were security related.

I use a Dell Inspiron 3847 desktop, Windows 7, Yamaha RX-377 receiver (office) and Harman-Kardon AVR 1700 (living room). Both receivers were automatically recognized under Playback Devices; I just had to adjust their properties.

I also just bought an Ibis 1x2/2x1 HDMI Switcher (about $24, bought mine from Sewell Direct). One HDMI cord goes from my office desktop out to my office stereo receiver, the other through a wall to my living room stereo receiver. I can now play any type of audio or movie file, regular or hi-rez or multichannel, using Foobar or VLC, without having to worry about unplugging cords, turning components on and off in a certain order, or whether streaming or a blu-ray player supports the format or will ouput the complete signal.

If anyone has been experiencing similar problems, I hope this helps.