Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: 0.9b14: set volume commands and main menus (Read 9933 times) previous topic - next topic

0.9b14: set volume commands and main menus

Have I missed something or have the set volume to 0 db, -21 db, etc. commands disappeared? If so, is there any chance of these returning in a later beta? These were extremely useful with keyboard shortcuts. Also, is there a main menu preferences page now or is this gone for now?

Reply #1
Hate to bump, but any chance of a response on this prior to 0.9 final? The main menu items issue isn't really a concern for me (I may have missed something anyway), but the set volume commands are extremely useful and I'd hate to lose them after having them for so long.

Reply #2
Main menu configurability has been dropped in favor of a better default menu layout. Ideas how to have both have eluded us so far.

I don't know about the volume commands. If they are not readded to the core, I'm sure they will find their way into a third party component sooner or later.

Reply #3
Main menu configurability has been dropped in favor of a better default menu layout. Ideas how to have both have eluded us so far.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=366218"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Would the ability to create custom menus be hard to code?

Perhaps making a group, also, with "currently unused menu commands" in the menu customization could clean stuff up (with subgroups : edit, etc..)

If it's C or Cplusplus, I would be pleased to help developpement.

Have a nice day,
Tristan Dumas Bonnier

Reply #4
To get sensible default layout when new commands are added to the menu (because a new component was installed, for example), you need a known location where (groups of) commands can be added. However, there are no known locations with freely editable menus.

The basic concepts in the current menu archtitecture are groups and commands. Groups are organized hierarchically: a group can contain an arbitrary number of other groups and commands. There are two types of groups: inline and popup. Each group and command has a priority which is used to sort items in a group. You can also view this schematic class diagram to get some visualisation.

When constructing a menu, inline groups are delimited with separators and their entries are inserted into the menu. Popup groups are not delimited with separators, and their entries are put into a new submenu. Empty groups are completely omitted in both cases. The starting point for menu construction are a number of predefined root groups corresponding to the menu branches.

Reply #5

Very bad signs.. It resembles me the Firefox's way to throw away from the app as much as possible and give users (mainly dummies or not rather exacting users) default IE feeling?
What about those who doesn't like default layout?

Reply #6
If someone feels like a dummy because the main menu has a logical structure directly after installation, well, then I cannot help them, sorry.

We still aim to improve foobar2000 (and ourselves), however finding an optimum generally requires backtracking. Compare this to the early versions of foobar2000 (prior to 0.6/0.7?). They did not have configurable main menus either, and menu layout was only controlled by components. However, the approach taken back then did not scale well. The order of all items in a given menu (excluding contents of submenus) could only be controlled by a single component. Since the core already defined an order for the root menus ("Foobar2000", "Playlist", "Playback"), other components has no influence on those at all. The new approach allows a much finer control, where each component controls the placement of a group of commands it provides and the order of commands within such a group.

So far this works pretty well for the standard components. Only time will tell how it scales with lots of third party components, but my guess is that it will work better than both previous approaches.

Reply #7
Is there any talk yet of making the context menu like this as well? My context menu is all jumbled up

Also, where's my selected track time counter in the status bar?

Reply #8
Actually, I don't mind so much not having the main menu customizable, but I think the goal of foobar2000 was to be extensible, and that was why it was appreciated.

What bugs me a bit more is not being able to set up keyboard shortcuts for volume -21 db / volume 0 db (actually, I was more thinking of the possibility of making it a toggle : maybe all the volume switches could be such ones. - record current volume - set back as before, or -21 / -3, whatever, to 0db)

I personally liked very much all the options that I was able to integrate in my foobar2000, and for such a reason, am considering staying on .9b13 (unless third party plugins allow all the extensibility that I had default, but nevertheless, it's a shame to slow down a piece of software with plugins, when it could be there as a default.. )

Anyways, it's just a pointless rant, I guess, since only bugs are being fixed, now...

Have a nice day,
Tristan.

Reply #9
By sticking with b13 extensibility is useless as you will not be able to run any third party components.

The SDK has changed with each beta as far as I am aware, which means that any components created with the released SDK will not work with b13, or certainly may not.

Sticking with beta versions is not really an option.

I'm sure someone can, and will, come up with a third party component for the volume controls. Your volume toggle idea sounds good.
I'm on a horse.

Reply #10
Is there any talk yet of making the context menu like this as well? My context menu is all jumbled up [a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=366508"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Peter actually considered this, but ssamadhi97 and I argued against it. The context menu is different from the main menu in several aspects:
  • The main menu has multiple roots, while the context menu only has a single root.
  • The total number of context menu commands exceeds the number of main menu commands (estimated). In combination with the previous item, there are a lot more possibilities to arrange the context menu, so it is harder to find one that appeals to even the majority of users.
  • The problem of finding an optimal context menu layout is further complicated by the fact that different people use foobar2000 in different ways, so there are different needs. The result of optimization however depends on the constraints applied.
That being said, we acknowledge that having to clean up the context menu after installation is undesirable or rather outright annoying. At least it will be interesting to see both approaches side-by-side, and hopefully we will find a way to combine the benefits of both in future versions.

Also, where's my selected track time counter in the status bar?[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=366508"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Probably disabled. Right click on the statusbar and (re)enable it.

Reply #11
Now that the 0.9 SDK has been released, is anyone developing a component to enable quick volume switching with keyboard shortcuts; i.e. adding commands for "set volume to 0db", "set volume to -3db", etc.?

Reply #12
3 months passed. Any news on this yet?