Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: unicode-able lossless encoders ? (Read 4932 times) previous topic - next topic

unicode-able lossless encoders ?

topic says all. and if so - which, how, where etc

Reply #1
topic says all. and if so - which, how, where etc

Doesn't unicode support in filenames depend more on whether the filesystem supports it rather than if the encoder supports it?

Reply #2
i am using winxp pro sp2 fnts and all encoders i have fails on unicode. or am i doing it wrong ?

Reply #3
I've ran into this problem myself, now I use foobar2000 to open my unicode-named files and convert them. It has built-in FLAC encoding support.

Reply #5
foobar2000 works well for this.

Reply #6
thanks jcoalson for the link.

foobar - i know it and this feature.
the problem is that i am working on my own application and somehow  cant use foobar.
i did already in the past using temp filenames and sure, it is working, but there is another problem when not only a filename is unicode, but path to it also. it is different thing to rename just a file and doing it on a whole path. and, of course, flac is only one of the codecs i use.

so any other ideas, if exist, are welcome

best regards, sn0wman.

Reply #7
You can use a modified script from the link above:
@echo off
set encoder="C:\Program Files\flac-1.1.2-win\bin\flac.exe"
type "%1" | %encoder% -8 --no-seektable - > "%~d1%~p1%~n1.flac"

It will work with unicode paths and filenames just fine. Copy this to a text file and rename it to "flac.cmd", change the path to flac.exe (marked with green color). Then you will be able to use flac.cmd like this:

F:\>flac.cmd \audio\こんにちは世界\你好世界.wav
this will encode to f:\audio\こんにちは世界\你好世界.flac file.

Note: --no-seektable may cause slightly slower seeking (with a seek slider of a player) on older machines, and has no effect if you only use FLAC to archive or playback without random seeking.

Reply #8
thanks Egor.

for the firsth, i want to decode file, not to encode.
the parameters i am using in my program are the following:
-d -o "%o" --force-raw-format --endian little --sign signed "%i"
tried to change it to
-d --force-raw-format --endian little --sign signed
so that it was somehow compatible with your script which takes only one parameter (so no specified output then). but it is not working. btw, how to pass multiple parameters ?

for the second, firsth thing i checked with the script was coding a wav file (so just as it was meant to be working), everything went fine, till i tried using unicode. my cmd.exe seems not to accept any unicode input, showing so well known '?????'. why ?
i would also love to understand what does it
%~d1%~p1%~
mean . of course, i will appreciate any links where i could read about it on my own.

and my last question. cause i work in delphi6, and using this script seems little artifical to me, does anyone knows how to do that using piplines in delphi ? i am going to try this way: write pipline to encoder, and direct its output to my program using read pipline.
maybe its not good forum for asking such question but as long as we are 'into' formats, there may be more ppl who have some experiences with such operations then in other places. atm i dont know how to do that

Reply #9
one more thing, script seems to be not working with files located in folders with spaces in the path:
f:\audio\a.flac <-yes
f:\my audio\a.flac <-no

//sorry its ok

Reply #10
just to drop a note:
up today, the only one encoder that supports directly unicode filenames, is TTA encoder...