Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Converting Lossless WMA to WAV (Read 6627 times) previous topic - next topic

Converting Lossless WMA to WAV

I have some tracks encoded as WMA Lossess.  I need to convert them to WAV.  Could any of you good people recommend the best tool for doing this?  Will dBpowerAMP be sufficient, or will the foobar2000 Convert to WAV (PCM, fixed-point) option do the job?

Reply #1
Any of these two programs, or other which can read WMA lossless, should work.  Except WMP, but you'd expect that.

Reply #2
' date='Oct 5 2006, 16:48' post='438272']
Any of these two programs, or other which can read WMA lossless, should work.  Except WMP, but you'd expect that.

Out of interst, what does WMP do to lossless WMA when converting it to WAV?

Thanks.

Reply #4
It must be quite frustrating being a programmer at Microsoft, always managers rulling what can and cannot be done for political reasons.

Reply #6
Thanks for the replies.  I've always been a bit paranoid about using the Convert option in foobar2000.  For example, when converting FLAC or APE to WAV using this function.  Is this function the same as using the native convertor functions for those formats (eg - FLAC front-end and Monkey's Audio)?  When I want to convert a bulk WAV file with a cue file into individual FLACs, I usually use foobar2000 to split the WAV using the Convert option.  I'm not losing any audio resolution when doing this am I?

Reply #7
I'm curious about the foobar Converter too. I use it to convert from WavPack/FLAC to WAV. Does it verify the MD5 checksum within the compressed file's metadata?