Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Help: The CD Information is incorrect once inserted into my PC (Read 2147 times) previous topic - next topic

Help: The CD Information is incorrect once inserted into my PC

Hello,

When I insert a audio CD into my computer; the name, date, and size are incorrectly set to Track(x), 1994-12-31 4:00 PM, and 1 KB, respectively.

I would appreciate help on getting the correct information as this has been reoccurring for all my CDs for some time now. Take note that I am not ripping or burning the CD at this point, I am simply viewing the content.

Thank you,
Chris

Please take a look at what my problem looks like.
https://s.yimg.com/hd/answers/i/cbaa5261a4f...mp;x=1395784791

Reply #1
That link doesn't work for me, but are you asking why the software you're using to play the CD does show you CD album metadata?  If so, what software are you using?  Does it support online look up of track info?  Are you online?  Did it ever work?

Reply #2
An audio CD doesn't actually have seperate files for each track, so what you see depends on your operating system.  And the data is not formatted like a regular "computer file"...  That's why it takes special "ripping" software to copy a CD. 

Some CDs have CD-TEXT, which contains the album/artist/title information, but most don't.

When you play or rip a CD, the normal approach is for the application to get a "fingerprint" of the CD and then look for a match in an online database (CDDB or Gracenote).    Some software may look for the CD-TEXT first.

If you are not online, the application may not have access to the information, unless it was previously saved in a local database.  And if you have a homemade CD, or rare CD, it may not be in the database.