Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: EAC - now not making mp3 files, only WAV. Doing "test encoder" returns error (Read 2036 times) previous topic - next topic

EAC - now not making mp3 files, only WAV. Doing "test encoder" returns error

OK, noob EAC user here with more questions.
The first CD I ripped worked OK, output mp3 files to the new directory I created.

Doing the 2nd one, each track returned an error message, waited for me to read it and click OK, then on to the next track.  the output file folder only had >WAV files when all was finished.

trying to debug this
When doing the EAC - compression options - test encoder, returns this error message :
"Test Encoder - can't init outfile 'etmp-!556.mp3'"

The error message after compressing each track looks like the following - and the process sits and waits until I hit OK before proceeding to the next track.:
returned error - Options -V2 --vbr -new '0tmp556j!.wav' '0tmp556j!mp3' File c:\Users\LT\My Music\NewFolder\03 OGATA.wav

Re: EAC - now not making mp3 files, only WAV. Doing "test encoder" returns error

Reply #1
Please provide more information about your settings on
EAC > Compression options > External Compression

-V2 --vbr -new '0tmp556j!.wav' '0tmp556j!mp3' File c:\Users\LT\My Music\NewFolder\03 OGATA.wav
--vbr-new doesn't have a space so I don't know if this was a typo in the post or in your actual settings
korth

Re: EAC - now not making mp3 files, only WAV. Doing "test encoder" returns error

Reply #2
Here are the settings for EAC- compression options- external compression :

use external program for compression - checked
parameter passing scheme - user defined encoder
use file extension - mp3
Program including path used for compression - C:\Users\LT\favorites\Downloads\compressed\LAME.exe
Additional command line options : %islow%-V 5%islow%%ishigh%-V 2%ishigh%-vbr-new%--vbr-new%source%dest%
Bit rate 320 Kb
Delete .WAV after compression - checked
Use CRC check - is UNchecked
Add ID3 tag - checked
Check for external program return code - checked
High Quality button selected

Reply #3
You made no changes between the first CD rip and the second?

This string has issues with the spaces
Code: [Select]
%islow%-V 5%islow%%ishigh%-V 2%ishigh%-vbr-new%--vbr-new%source%dest%

http://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=Lame#VBR_.28variable_bitrate.29_settings
The switch --vbr-new, which enabled a superior VBR mode in LAME 3.97 and some previous versions, is no longer needed with LAME 3.98 and higher,

Note the spaces
Code: [Select]
%islow%-V 5%islow%%ishigh%-V 2%ishigh% %source% %dest%

Edit: I added an extra unneeded space - corrected.
korth

Reply #4
Please provide more information about your settings on
EAC > Compression options > External Compression

-V2 --vbr -new '0tmp556j!.wav' '0tmp556j!mp3' File c:\Users\LT\My Music\NewFolder\03 OGATA.wav
--vbr-new doesn't have a space so I don't know if this was a typo in the post or in your actual settings

Yes, you're correct there is NO space

here is corrected error message :

returned error - Options -V2 --vbr -new '0tmp556j!.wav' '0tmp556j!mp3' File c:\Users\LT\My Music\NewFolder\03 OGATA.wav

Reply #5
Vbr-new is depreciated in newer versions of LAME. Use the string korth gave you and it should work.

Reply #6
OK, I think I solved the issue.

I did use the new options suggested, but the error and failure to convert to mp3 persisted.

Doing the "test encoder" still resulted in the error message.

I then made a new folde in the program files x86 folder called "Lame_for_EAC", and copied the "LAME.exe" from the download folder to this new folder,
and then updated the path in EAC for the external compression program.

NOW - doing the "test encoder' results in NO errors
and
now I can successfully rip the audio CD files to mp3 format.