Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foobar2000 v1.4 beta 2 DSP manager. (Read 3470 times) previous topic - next topic

foobar2000 v1.4 beta 2 DSP manager.

Not sure if this is the right place for this poast. The DSP manager, is no longer accessible to screen reader users, like it was in version 1.3.17. There used to be a add/ remove button, and all DSP's were in a list.

Re: foobar2000 v1.4 beta 2 DSP manager.

Reply #1
The issue is known and Peter has promised to address it.

Reply #2
Another thing in the 1.4 (beta 2) DSP manager. You can drag a DSP from right to left. A bar indicates where you want to insert it, however the DSP is always added as last.
This, of course, only matters if the drag and drop stays.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.

Reply #3
In beta 3, it seems that accessibility has returned, but not completely. While the lists are labeled, it seems screen readers are unable to report how many items are in the list, and it seems to be impossible to easily remove a DSP from the list of active DSP's.

Reply #4
Hi,

I have a general question about how 'Active DSPs' works. :)

If I put 'Meier Crossfeed' in first position on the list and 'Sonarworks Reference 3 plug-in' [FR correction(s) for headphones; via 'VST 2.4 adapter'] in second position: is the crossfeed first applied and only thereafter the FR correction(s)? This is important to know for individual headphones calibration, where L + R channels follow individual correction curves due to channel imbalance on most headphones. A different logic in the DSP chain would therefore compromise accuracy.

Thank you!

Reply #5
I presume it's serial processing in numerical order, any other way of doing it would be crazy.

I have a mix of components and VST plugins for my HD600s:

1) Amplify (-6dB)
2) TDR SlickEQ M (EQ calibration curve)
3) Meier Crossfeed (set to 10)
4) AirWindows NJAD (Dither)

And have tested the word length with the Bitter plugin, and things only go from 32 float to 24 fixed after the NJAD (wherever you put it in the chain) so have concluded it does work in the logical way.

Reply #7
In v1.4 beta 3, the dsp's seems to be working fine. Just can't figure out how to move them around in the order I want.

Reply #8
Well, that was just posted in totally wrong thread... Currently the preferred way is to drag & drop them - both in order to change their order and in order to enable / disable them (dragging between active and unused lists). And as far as I understand you, this is something that makes impossible to easily use DSP manager with screen readers... Despite I don't use them, I would also welcome restoration of Add / Remove and Up / Down buttons, as an alternative option for managing DSP chains.

Reply #9
Hello,
I'm a screen reader user as well and it would certainly be nice if the DSP manager remained accessible to us blind fellas. I was thinking... Perhaps we don't need those buttons to come back. Maybe all we need is those 2 list boxes to support more keyboard shortcuts.
You can already delete items inside the active DSPs list by pressing the delete key, so if one could copy and cut items within that list with CTRL + C and CTRL + X respectively (and thus change their order), I think it could suffice. This could prove even more efficient as one wouldn't have to tab back and forth between the list box and the Remove/Move up/Move down buttons. I don't know how intuitive this would be for keyboard warriors, but I personally could definitely live with such a solution - especially since that's the keyboard way to reorder tracks in playlists as well.
Of course, CTRL + C would have to be capable of copying items from the awailable DSPs list to the active DSPs list. I think that it's doable, the question is, what's easier to program.
The advantage of this approach would be that the visual part of the interface wouldn't have to be reworked.
What do you think?