Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: FLAC-TRIM: a bash script to trim FLAC, MP3 and M4A (Read 5878 times) previous topic - next topic

FLAC-TRIM: a bash script to trim FLAC, MP3 and M4A

Hello, this is my first post and I want to share with hydrogenaudio this bash script:

flac-trim
FLAC-TRIM is more than a simple tool to RMS Normalization .flac files!
  • RMS Normalization or ReplayGain (single track or album)
  • Preserves all tags of original file
  • Rename file with {ARTIST} - {TITLE}
  • Extract cover
  • Adds personalized tag
  • Removes the space at the beginning of the song
  • Adds 0.25 seconds to the beginning of the song
  • Can convert to .mp3 with LAME
  • Can convert to .m4a
  • Can create playlist .m3u
how it works (video)

Re: FLAC-TRIM: a bash script to trim FLAC, MP3 and M4A

Reply #1
I added OPUS support!

If you need to compile FFMPEG with LIBFDK_AAC, OPUS support and many other libraries, I have done this script:
ffmpeg-compile

Reply #2
> RMS Normalization or ReplayGain (single track or album)
Why would you need to alter content in irreversible way (and lose a little of precision) when ReplayGain tags already solve the problem without the need for that

> Adds 0.25 seconds to the beginning of the song
why

> Removes the space at the beginning of the song
why
(I could understand that if that's the beginning of the album, but if you do it for tracks you will mess up timing across tracks which is often important to keep)
a fan of AutoEq + Meier Crossfeed

Reply #3
also what's the reason to do this in Shell which is neither cross platform language nor is it a general purpose programming language, it's just making the task harder than it could be

> how it works (video)
a good UI (even command line) would make it unnecessary to make "how to use" videos because it will be obvious enough to begin with, so the fact that you thought this video is necessary to create is also a red flag
a fan of AutoEq + Meier Crossfeed

Reply #4
> RMS Normalization
> Adds 0.25 seconds to the beginning of the song
> Removes the space at the beginning of the song
To listen in car

a good UI (even command line) would make it unnecessary to make "how to use".....
Maybe in the future...

Reply #6
To listen in car

Ok, I'll bite, how does this help car audio?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?  ;~)

Reply #9
Code: [Select]
#!/bin/bash
FT=flac-trim
A=need
B=no_need
echo "1) I think that I need $FT" && echo "2) I think that I DON'T need $FT"
read n
if [ $n -eq 1 ]; then
echo "I NEED $FT: I will do helpful answer about script (how it works, request for new features, ...)"
else [ $n -eq 2 ]
echo "NO NEED $FT, so I will not post more useless answer"
fi

Reply #10
If you don't want public responses to your software, perhaps you shouldn't be posting about it on a public forum. I understand it can be very hard to admit that "it does the thing, because that is my personal use case". Of course, releasing highly specialized software with extremely niche uses, is not something one usually does without also including a disclaimer that "the software is already perfect exactly as it is, and if you don't like that, please go somewhere else".

Part of publishing personal use software is sometimes bending to the needs of others, if you care at all about your software being used by others. Sometimes, you feel like helping others find that special software to fill their needs as well. Perfectly understandable if that's not your reason for posting it here, though.

A reason I could guess for the trimming and gapping of audio recordings, is because a particular car stereo or other piece of equipment has very poor track boundary handling, so the device is already lopping the ends off of everything passing through it. Still, however, you could have at least said this, instead of resorting to a passive aggressive dismissal.