Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Please do not mix files from different foobar2000 releases (Read 12405 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Please do not mix files from different foobar2000 releases

Reply #25
Well it looks like the version number of that particular component is not bound to the specific version of foobar2000 and might not have changed since previous releases ?? I'm too lazy to check.  :P

Reply #26
So I found something worse, after @snotlicker pointed out what is going on with that dll: doing the same to Audio CD support will stop fb2k from working, and default reinstall procedure won't fix it.

Here is how to get it into problems:
* Install 1.6 with Audio CD support.
* On top of that, try to install 1.7 without Audio CD support

Because the installer does nothing to remove/disable foo_cdda.dll (that is not desired behaviour!), fb2k will find an old version and refuse to start.
Try to reinstall; my installer defaults to "Previous", which has Audio CD support unchecked, and thus the problem will persist.
Of course, manually deleting foo_cdda.dll will solve it, but you cannot count on users to know that.

Solution: when user unchecks any of the "Optional features", fb2k should disable it when it exists - possibly after prompting the user that "You are about to disable the following feature that exists in the current install. [Disable] [Go back]."

Reply #27
You're overthinking it. Deselecting previously installed components is a deliberate action and they should be removed without prompts. If the installer is not doing that then of course it's a bug that should be fixed.

Reply #28
At the risk of overthinking: if some feature has configuration, then user might want to leave them in (in case needed later) or delete them (that's a reason to uncheck the feature, to get rid of settings gone wrong).

Reply #29
Well now you're talking about something else entirely. Pretty sure the foo_blah.cfg files inside the configuration have never been touched so you'll always get your old settings if re-installing a component at a later time.

UI components are slightly different where they have per instance data that is saved inside theme.fth. Typically people are going to replace the blank space left behind immediately so those settings would be gone.

Lastly, most components should be resettable using the preferences dialog, assuming they have their own page and don't pre-date fb2k v1 which was out some 12 years ago.

edit: just realised I've strayed off topic in to 3rd party component territory. But I'm sure it would be better if you reported any problems with core components that you think need fixing instead of nuking cfg files.

Reply #30
An Import/Export tool for custom settings would solve this. Version 2.0 (64 bit) did not import anything. I have a raw, default 2.0 which is useless for me.