Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Converting from DSD? (Read 7193 times) previous topic - next topic

Converting from DSD?

I was hoping to use foobar to do the conversion, but it's locked to 44.1kHz for encoding.

Is there any setting in foobar that can I convert to FLAC 64kHz 24bit?  What about other settings like Dither?  How does that help in sound quality?

Is there other tools that can do the conversion?  I tried DSDtoFlac, but it doesn't support Windows!

Converting from DSD?

Reply #1
It is not possible to represent DSD losslessly in a FLAC file - the format does not support it. I think DSD is within the specifications supported the TTA format, but I have not tried.

http://en.true-audio.com/Free_Downloads
http://www.hydrogenaud.io/forums/index.php?showtopic=83931

Converting from DSD?

Reply #2
Is there any setting in foobar that can I convert to FLAC 64kHz 24bit?  What about other settings like Dither?  How does that help in sound quality?

Dither should not be used when converting to 24 bit. It adds noise with no benefit.

Converting from DSD?

Reply #3
foobar doesn't put a limit or lock the sample rate of the converted files. The DSD/SACD plugins convert DSD to PCM at 44.1khz and its multiples like 88.2 and 176.4khz. If you want to convert to 64khz, add a resampler into the signal chain of foobar's converter.

64khz is strange because most commonly purchasable audio equipment only work in 44.1k/48k and its multiples natively. What do you actually want to do?

[edit] just noticed foo_input_dsdiff plugin supports 64khz, unlike foo_input_sacd

Converting from DSD?

Reply #5
I was hoping to use foobar to do the conversion, but it's locked to 44.1kHz for encoding.

Is there other tools that can do the conversion?  I tried DSDtoFlac, but it doesn't support Windows!

Why 64kHz?

If 44.1 makes you uncomfortable, 88.2 kHz should satisfy all audiophile tendencies and is widely supported. 

(God, I hate DSD/SACD.  What a pointlessly difficult consumer format.)

Converting from DSD?

Reply #6
It is not possible to represent DSD losslessly in a FLAC file - the format does not support it. I think DSD is within the specifications supported the TTA format, but I have not tried.

It is, you can DoP embed a DSD file into any lossless file.

http://dsd-guide.com/dop-open-standard

Whoa! Today's useless (to me) trivia :-D

Converting from DSD?

Reply #7
I have had success converting DSD to FLAC (with a more sensible bit depth and samplerate) but that was with XLD which doesn't run on Windows.

If this is a one-off, have you considered doing the conversion on the machine of a friend with Linux or OS X?
Every night with my star friends / We eat caviar and drink champagne
Sniffing in the VIP area / We talk about Frank Sinatra
Do you know Frank Sinatra? / He's dead