Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Changing minimum bitrate for VBR (LAME 3.98.3) (Read 28461 times) previous topic - next topic

Changing minimum bitrate for VBR (LAME 3.98.3)

Reply #50
seeing as a -V 0 encode will probably not end up with an average bitrate of 128 Kbps
Try encoding a mono signal band-limited to 12kHz or even one that is not band-limited.

any more than a -V 5 encode would end up with an average bitrate of 230 Kbps.
Probably more so yes, though I wouldn't be surprised if someone came along with an example of this.

The problem would be significantly worse with CBR, since CBR doesn't have the ability to increase the bitrate at will to compensate for complex passages (aside from the bit reservoir) the way VBR does, right?
Right, but you're stating the obvious which I was intentionally overlooking in favor of the specific bitrate that doesn't have this problem: 320kbps.  Sorry for not being clear.

Reply #51
lame -V5 and bitrate>230kbps?    amnesia, spahm, A03_emese, fatboy.

Reply #52
While it may not seem apparent at first, you should remember that LAME is not a recent software.

I hope you wouldn't go telling anyone that Windows can run with 16MB of RAM (Which Windows 98 could).  Just the same way, the documentation can be outdated, and you should understand why each part was written and what it means today.

The --alt-presets of versions 3.90.x and I think up until 3.95, encoded to VBR using the -b 128 setting, because of the message you've quoted (the psychoacoustic making a mistake).  This is just one of many settings that have been relaxed after improvements and better knowledge of problem samples and limits of MP3.

When we say that VBR targets a certain quality, it means that there is no specific bitrate for a specific quality.  Some sounds require more bits than others.

The numbers in the -V setting are just a way to tell the encoder which tools, and how strong/weak it has to work. As has been said before, the bitrate with VBR is just a consequence after the encoder has decided what to keep and what not.

Reply #53
Yes, it's a pity that not all the documentation is dated so you can see how current it is.

I do think that some of the information that people have provided me in this topic might be beneficial to have in the wiki entry, though (or perhaps even a link to this topic itself). It might help other people not to ask some of the questions I did.