Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Is there an Add-on? Right-click, add to playlist... (Read 3718 times) previous topic - next topic

Is there an Add-on? Right-click, add to playlist...

Greetings all!

My heroic laptop that I purchased in 2007 finally gave up the ghost to a fried motherboard a few weeks ago. I purchased a new laptop with Windows 10 and to my dismay discovered that WinAmp by Nullsoft is no longer supported/maintained. That dismay was short-lived when I stumbled upon foobar2000 which I like even better in some respects (open source!). My one complaint is I really REALLY wish I could right-click on an mp3 (or other audio file) and add it to my playlist. This was something I could do with WinAmp and I really appreciated the convenience over dragging a file to the player and carefully placing it at the bottom of my sometimes-extensive playlist. Alternatively I'd love the ability to have double-clicking an audio file add it to my playlist instead of erasing my entire playlist and creating a new one with the one track. Both of these were features of WinAmp I LOVED and miss sorely now. Now I'll be trying to drag a file to foobar2000 and accidentally click it wiping out my entire playlist. No good at all!

Anyway, bottom line is I'd love to find a 3rd party add-on that adds one or both of these features to foobar2000. If there is nothing like that out there, I'd love to know the best way to suggest these features to the developers of foobar2000. Let me know!

Regards,
jdfoobar

Re: Is there an Add-on? Right-click, add to playlist...

Reply #1
I have to correct you that foobar2000 is not open source. SDK (tools for developing additional components) is open source.

The features you miss are supported by default as long as foobar2000 is installed normally in non-portable way. That registers a shell extension adding play and enqueue commands for audio files.

To make enqueue the default action instead if play you need to toggle 'Set "Enqueue" as the default action' checkbox in Preferences -> Shell Integration.

Reply #2
I have to correct you that foobar2000 is not open source. SDK (tools for developing additional components) is open source.

The features you miss are supported by default as long as foobar2000 is installed normally in non-portable way. That registers a shell extension adding play and enqueue commands for audio files.

To make enqueue the default action instead if play you need to toggle 'Set "Enqueue" as the default action' checkbox in Preferences -> Shell Integration.
Greetings Case!

Thank you for your reply. Sorry for causing any confusion with my comments.

I have installed foobar2000 normally not the portable version. It is not integrated as you say with Windows 10. Is there some way I can force it to integrate the way you describe? Is that sort of integration not available yet with Windows 10, only Windows 7 perhaps? Let me know!

Reply #3
I forgot to mention that the commands are tied to file associations. This part works a bit differently between Windows 7 and 10 as Microsoft disabled the old API call that opens association window in the latest OS. With Windows 7 you could just click the "Manage file type associations" button in the Shell Integration page in Preferences. With Windows 10 you have to do a few extra steps.

Type "Default" in the start menu search and it should suggest you "Default app settings" or "Set default programs" or similar, depending on Windows 10 version. If you get the Metro "Default apps" window, scroll to bottom and click on "Set defaults by app".

Pick foobar2000 from the left side menu and you can associate all supported file formats to it if you click on "Set this program as default". If you wish to customize which formats to associate click on the "Choose defaults for this program" button.

Reply #4
Note that you need to select and right-click the audio files themselves. It doesn't work on the folder that contains your music (or at least it doesn't for me, on Insider build 16199). You can also drag & drop the folder onto foobar2000.
That's so plausible, I can't believe it.

Reply #5
The replies are appreciated! I know I already associated the file extensions correctly (my music files all have foobar2000 icons, foobar launches when I click them, etc.) so I suspect I might have some other issue going on. I will try a few things including an uninstall/reinstall when I get home tonight and update the thread. You did give me some ideas where to look! Thanks again!

Reply #6
I was able to adjust some settings under Shell Integration and get the application working as desired. Thank you all for pointing me in the right direction!

If there is a way to deleted threads, this one can be locked or deleted.

Reply #7
edit...FINALLY FOUND A SOLUTION
In this post:
foo_utils
Allows right click send to any available playlist. It will get buried somewhat in the context menu under legacy. You can also set up keyboard shortcuts as alternative to context menu.

I'm confused by this thread as I 'm having the same issue as the question described in the title. The simple right-click add to playlist option DOES NOT APPEAR IN foobar2000 doing any of the above mentioned options.

Is there a way to do this?

What I want to do is:
I have a bunch of songs loaded in the default playlist in foobar2000 main screen, I want to simply add one or some (selected) itmes to a new or different playlist in a SIMPLE EASY WAY, not having to hit "copy" every time, move to a different screen and then hit "paste"